s9e Media Sites

s9e Media Sites 2.15.5

No permission to download
JoshyPHP updated s9e Media Sites with a new update entry:

Replaced lazy loader, added GiPHY, native players, new option to disable auto-embedding

Updated lazy loader. The new version should be slightly more efficient on pages that contain many embeds.
Added support for GiPHY.
Added an add-on option to use a native player for the following embeds: Gfycat, GiPHY, Gifs.com.
Added an option to disable auto-embedding links on a per-site basis. If "Do not auto-embed links from this site" is checked when editing a media site, URLs from this site will remain as text links. Users can still embed third-party content by using the "Insert media" tool in the editor. This option is currently only available for media sites that belong to this add-on but may be extended to other media sites in a future version.

Thanks to @Xon from Sufficient Velocity for sponsoring this update.

View attachment 226575

Read the rest of this update entry...

When I try to post Twitter & instagram it doesn’t pull in the content, how can I fix ? Please see example below.

0A94C520-AF09-4D17-956F-995BB1F224A2.webp

I don't know, that's not related to media sites in general or this add-on in particular. Try asking in the XenForo Media Gallery support forum. If you tag me, I'll read the replies over there in case there's anything I can do on my side of things.

@JoshyPHP i'm having a problem with twitter embeds on the desktop. they're opening in the s9e iframe in a separate window, but no matter what i click on after the fact, i cannot get to the actual twitter page. i know its a browser addon issue because it works in other browsers with no addons, but i cannot for the life of me figure out what's getting blocked to cause this to happen.

they're opening in the s9e iframe in a separate window
I'm not sure what you mean, can you elaborate? When you view the post, does it display the tweet inside of your page or just a link to the tweet? If that's a link, what does it say?

Privacy-focused add-ons tend to block Twitter's script. If that's the issue here, the link displayed in the iframe should say "Cannot load tweet. Disable your adblocker and tracking protection." or perhaps "Loading tweet..." depending on how the add-on blocks scripts.

I'm not sure what you mean, can you elaborate? When you view the post, does it display the tweet inside of your page or just a link to the tweet? If that's a link, what does it say?

Privacy-focused add-ons tend to block Twitter's script. If that's the issue here, the link displayed in the iframe should say "Cannot load tweet. Disable your adblocker and tracking protection." or perhaps "Loading tweet..." depending on how the add-on blocks scripts.
its kind of hard to explain. tweets show normally like this:

Cop Tyranny Thread | Page 35 | DressedWell 2020-06-03 02-26-28.webp

but when i click on any of the links, it opens up this in a new tab instead of opening up twitter.com/xxxxxx:

Content from Twitter 2020-06-03 02-26-45.webp

i know my privacy addons are blocking something but i can't for the life of me figure out what it is.

but when i click on any of the links, it opens up this in a new tab instead of opening up twitter.com/xxxxxx:
Apparently Twitter has some kind of click hijacker that's supposed to open the original tweet if you click anywhere on their widget. I guess their code somehow generates the wrong URL for the new tab/window. No idea how that works but if you find anything about it I'd be interested to know more.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be a bother but would there be any interest in adding support for this?
That's my bad, I missed your original post. I'm not familiar with getyarn.io but based on their Alexa ranking they don't seem to be particularly popular or growing so I don't have any plans to add support for the sites in the foreseeable future.

Judging by the format of their URL, you may be able to create a custom media site for your forums using XenForo's media site feature in the admin panel.

@JoshyPHP - any idea why some amazon links are broken in parsing and end up sending you back to the front page? This appears to be only affecting Firefox and Safari.

Here's a sample URL: https://www.amazon.com/KRUPS-Electric-Coffee-Grinder-Stainless/dp/B00004SPEU and example on our site with several links:

Also - did you change default amazon behavior to load in the same tab instead of a new one? Anywhere I can adjust that?

Thanks!

@SIneDave There's been no changes to the Amazon embed but there is an unrelated issue that happens to affect it. It's fixed in the latest update so the iframe should load normally, unless this specific product can't be embedded for some reason.

I looked at the template used to create the Amazon link and as far as I can tell it's always opened in the same tab. There's no setting to change the behaviour but you can create a custom template modification for your board that adds a target to the link.

Just installed on AVForums.com. Still only getting a Lighthouse performance rating of 23 on this page:
Which is better than the performance before I installed the addon since Lighthouse just timed out!

The Lighthouse report says that we're still loading 428k worth of YouTube embed code.
Have you considered not loading that, and displaying a thumbnail instead? Load the code when clicked? And Lazy Load the thumbnail images as well?

The YouTube code only loads when the video is on screen, or about to be on screen; If there's no video on screen, it loads 0k of YouTube code, and if there's a video on screen then you need YouTube's code to show the player's interface. Without it, all you could display is a thumbnail with no information about the video such as its title or its author, so it wouldn't look any different from a normal image. It would be possible to add some kind of interface to indicate it's a YouTube player (like this YouTube loader) but in practice it's rarely better than just loading the actual YouTube player in the background when it's about to be shown. Note that even if a YouTube embed is on screen when the page loads, the loader will wait up to 3 seconds or until everything else on the page has finished downloading to start loading the YouTube embed. That keeps the time to First Contentful Paint low.

The thumbnail serves as a placeholder to fill the white void while the embed is loading, and as an indication there should be a video there if JavaScript fails for some reason. I have considered removing it because it's less useful now than it used to be, but that's a very small gain so I've held off on that. You can remove it for yourself via a template modification, or you can use an add-on to lazy-load all images. This one for example: Lazy Load [img].

Edit: I should add that I don't think that replacing the YouTube embed would improve an average user's experience but I would consider adding options that exist mainly to improve the Lighthouse score if you want to sponsor their development. I don't think it's worth it from the user's point of view, but I don't know how important the Lighthouse score is to site owners. If anyone is interested you can send me a message.

Last edited:
Nothing we can do, apparently there are JavaScript errors in TikTok's code. I suppose they're going to fix it soon.

Hello!

Is there any way to edit the "Embed template" part for googlesheets? I want to force it to display only one sheet and no tabs below. I tried searching for it in phpmyadmin but couldn't find where it's stored.

If I could add "&single=true" to the end of the address it should work.

EDIT: I found it in database, but it didn't work. Any ideas about how to make it work?

Last edited:
You can edit most templates in the admin panel, or you can create a template modification to apply modifications more dynamically.

The name of the template is _media_site_embed_googlesheets

Top Bottom