s9e Media Sites

s9e Media Sites 2.15.5

No permission to download
The original link is forever lost when converted to a media site BBCode. What the add-on does is it adds a placeholder on top of the embedded product's iframe, that links to the product's page using our best approximation. If the iframe loads successfully and doesn't appear to be hidden, the placeholder gets stashed below the iframe to reveal the embedded product widget.
I see ok, I thought there might be a conditional render of the iframe based on a pre-check for adblock such as like Siropu does with Ads Manager
Thanks for clarifying

Last edited:
Edit: I'm working with a site where we're trying to get a good solution for affiliate links, as some other people here mentioned, ti's important to get these right due to the monetization.

IMO, the appearance of the text link within the blank embed box is suboptimal for attracting clicks compared to if the link was just left alone and fully written out (As Amazon links are typically supplied with the product name in the URL so members can see what they're clicking on before hand, vs something like amazon.com/dp/asdasd123123/).

A rather complex solution could be that the links are not converted at post save, but rather the media BBCode detects adblock at page run and conditionally renders the link into the embed iframe via Javascript, and leaves it alone if not, so it's written out. This is how Ads Manager injects ad placements by device type, as they are not pre-rendered in the template.

However this would be a problem will all links already converted by the addon so far.. just thinking out loud.

I installed this add on a year ago
But quite frankly I can't see any difference.
We've found that having a large number of Amazon links on your site can actually get your server put on a soft ban list due to the unfurls pinging their system. This addon actually circumvents that somehow and the product embed renders just fine. I haven't analyzed the methods yet to see exactly why but I can imagine the meta scraper for fetching unfurl results is far likelier to trip the spam catcher.

For context, the sole purpose for this add-on is to improve the embedding of third party content. Amazon product links can be converted into nifty little product widgets that look better than just a text URL, so that's what it does. In fact, the first version of this process (circa 2014) didn't even support affiliate tags. I added support for configurable affiliate tags shortly after.

Some time ago, I started received reports of admins and/or users that complained that they couldn't see embedded Amazon product widgets on account of some adblocking and/or privacy enhancing feature, either built-in or as a browser extension. The irony of complaining that an adblocker configured to block Amazon content was, in fact, blocking Amazon content wasn't lost on me but I also know that many users install extensions without knowing what they really do. That's why I devised a minimalistic solution, in the form of a placeholder that would fill the space reserved for the product widget (which would otherwise remain blank) without disrupting the page layout. The placeholder links to the product page in case the user wants to access the page but doesn't know how to disable their adblocker, and it carries an affiliate tag (if applicable) so that the webmaster doesn't lose revenue. More recently, browsers and extensions have become increasingly thorough in blocking content, by misrepresenting that a page has been loaded when it's been in fact blocked or redirected, or by misrepresenting an element's dimensions, position on the screen, or visibility in general, and I have updated the placeholder accordingly. However, I do not want this feature to turn into some sort of adblocker-blocker if users configure their browser to hide some type of content.

With that said, if your goal is to optimize affiliate links and other extensions work better with untouched URLs, then you can edit the Amazon media site and check the box that says Do not auto-embed links from this site. It will preserve the existing embedded products, but it won't transform textual links in future posts.

I installed this add on a year ago
But quite frankly I can't see any difference.
What kind of effect did you expect, that failed to materialize?

For some reason Spotify album playlists have stopped functioning in Chrome or Edge, but only when logged into Spotify. If not logged in to Spotify then the samples play. It all works fine in Firefox but not Chrome or Edge. This has just happened recently. Any ideas?

I've cleared Cookies, cleared caches uploaded the latest, rebuilt and so on. Could it be either something to do with Chromium based browsers or the actual embeds?

TikTok doesn't embed for me anymore. Is there a work around?
It works for me. What URL did you try? My guess is there's probably something in your browser that blocks TikTok.

For some reason Spotify album playlists have stopped functioning in Chrome or Edge, but only when logged into Spotify. If not logged in to Spotify then the samples play. It all works fine in Firefox but not Chrome or Edge. This has just happened recently. Any ideas?
That's a difficult one because I don't have a Spotify account. Try this: go to any thread and post a Spotify playlists as a reply. Not as a new thread, as a reply specifically. And don't reload the page afterwards either. Post the reply and see if it loads then. There's a possibility that it works once when you post a reply and then stops working when reloading the page.

Otherwise, you can look inside of your browser's developer console for error messages. Try asking Spotify support too, they may notice that something isn't right in the way the playlist is loaded.

That's a difficult one because I don't have a Spotify account. Try this: go to any thread and post a Spotify playlists as a reply. Not as a new thread, as a reply specifically. And don't reload the page afterwards either. Post the reply and see if it loads then. There's a possibility that it works once when you post a reply and then stops working when reloading the page.
Done that. The playlist loads OK but when you click on a track to play it does nothing. If I log out of Spotify I can play the tracks but only as samples. It worked OK before, just noticed this today. Tried Edge but because that's Chromium based it too failed. Firefox no issues, so I'm wondering if it's something Google has done in a Chrome update - no errors in my console either.

All posts are replies - here's an example: https://rockreaction.com/album/stranded.745/

I put special emphasis on being a reply that has just been posted, without reloading the page, because there's a difference in the way the embedded content is created and loaded when you post it the very first time, and when the page is loaded in any other way.

Do playlists work normally when you visit the page directly?

Do playlists work normally when you visit the page directly?
Yes. Just the player showing and nothing else, but the tracks do play. Some of the content has been posted for a good while and the player always played without issue, even after the first time posted. These always go into the second post and not the first as that would not work with this system.

It works for me. What URL did you try? My guess is there's probably something in your browser that blocks TikTok.
I tried other browsers. This is the link that was posted:

Code:
https://www.tiktok.com/@sportsbettingtiktok/video/7164599884547362094

Last edited:
You need to post the link in a code block otherwise XenForo will embed it. Anyway, I tried https://www.tiktok.com/@sportsbettingtiktok/video/7164599884547362094 on my local forum and it works fine. Check out your browser's console, there may be some errors preventing it from loading.

You need to post the link in a code block otherwise XenForo will embed it. Anyway, I tried https://www.tiktok.com/@sportsbettingtiktok/video/7164599884547362094 on my local forum and it works fine. Check out your browser's console, there may be some errors preventing it from loading.
Okay, thanks. I'll look into that.

This is how it posts, by the way:

Screenshot 2022-11-12 at 4.33.42 PM.webp

Go to your admin panel, search for "tiktok" in the search box and it'll get you to it. Or maybe you disabled auto-embedding either at the site level or globally.

Would there be anyway to stop autoplay on Imgur? (Sample url: [URL unfurl="true" media="imgur:a/ejm2yp8"]https://imgur.com/gallery/ejm2yp8[/URL])

Top Bottom