s9e Media Sites

s9e Media Sites 2.15.3

No permission to download
I'm not aware of any issues with Instagram embeds. I've just tried it on an old iPad and it worked. The embed itself doesn't rely on Instagram/Facebook's script. I don't know what in Safari would prevent it from running.

I'm not aware of any issues with Instagram embeds. I've just tried it on an old iPad and it worked. The embed itself doesn't rely on Instagram/Facebook's script. I don't know what in Safari would prevent it from running.
iOS users on my site (and another site that I assume uses your plugin) say they just see a white box.

Do you ever see "Loading Instagram..." on the screen while it's loading? What happens when you click the white area? When you say that it's "random", do you mean that the same browser sometimes works and sometimes doesn't?

Try going to https://www.instagram.com/p/gbGaIXBQbn/embed/captioned/?cr=1&wp=540#{"os":1} directly, see if it works better when accessed on its own. I'm going to post a copy of that embed here, let me know if it works better using XenForo's default media site which works differently.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Asked my site. Will report back.

And ya, by random I mean it apparently doesn't always happen (I'm Android, so no means to test on my own).

Screenshot 2022-12-29 at 12.58.18 PM.png

This is the error that shows up in the console when trying to use the Instagram embed. It looks like what it's doing is rejecting the frame because it's trying to go to the login page first, probably because Instagram thinks it's automated traffic/a bot. And that login page does not allow iframe embeds.

A X-Frame-Options: DENY would be an explanation for that kind of behaviour (empty page.) I've just tried to embed that specific Instagram post on my local forum and it was displayed correctly. I tried a few browsers with different configurations and they all worked fine for a while until Instagram decided to stop serving me content and now it displays a login page instead, or an error message telling me the post does not exist. It's not a blank page, but it's probably the same thing. Using a VPN or TOR lets me see the post normally, so it's clearly Instagram limiting access based on the IP address.

If that's the issue, then I don't think there's anything we can do about that.

I'm also seeing it often only on mobile Safari, with "prevent tracking" checked in settings. I'm seeing a similar error with Twitter lately too.

Wonder if there's a way to check if the iframe loads, and display a link to the instagram post if not.

That's already the case. There's already a link to the tweet or Instagram post displayed until the embedded content (sub-iframe) is done loading. The issue is that some browsers report that the sub-iframe has been loaded even if it's been blocked.

@thenashy "vm.tiktok.com" links are already supported (as long as your server isn't blocked by TikTok and is able to resolve them) but I didn't know about "vt.tiktok.com". As I understand, it's for/from a different application and/or a different region. I'll add support for it in the next version.

I am also having issues with Instagram on my site. Apparently users with PC's and Androids can see them. But Mac users, whether in Safari or Chrome, see the white box with the Loading Instagram' notice' in it. Interestingly, the Instagram link shows properly with Firefox. Is there a fix for this?

I don't have a version of Safari that blocks Instagram but based on what I've read so far, if Instagram is being blocked by Safari's tracking prevention then there's no way around it.

Would it be possible to support player embeds from Captivate.fm?

Example of a page when you share an episode:

Example of embed code:
Code:
<div style="width: 100%; height: 200px; margin-bottom: 20px; border-radius: 6px; overflow:hidden;"><iframe style="width: 100%; height: 200px;" frameborder="no" scrolling="no" seamless src="https://player.captivate.fm/episode/03f47eef-4a8f-4616-8922-c77cb3d1edfa"></iframe></div>

Example podcast page:

Thank you very much for this excellent add-on...! You're doing god's work.

Would it be possible to support player embeds from Captivate.fm?

I like podcast providers so I'm looking favorably on it but I don't know when I'm going to be able to work on new additions. The next item on my todo list is support for federated Mastodon instances which I started more than a month ago but haven't finished yet. Supporting URLs from captivate.fm is possible, but URLs from custom domains such as thestorytellersquad.com would be much more complicated.

So the short answer is yes, it's technically feasible and I will consider it, but I don't know when that will happen. If you want to speed up the process by sponsoring the addition of this site you can send me a message and I'll look into it. Alternatively, you may be able to add it for yourself as a custom media site using XenForo's admin panel.

Last edited:
Trying to embed a video file from archive.org but only getting "The specified URL cannot be embedded as media."

Seem to work when you put the page url but not a link directly to a .mp4 file. So if there are several versions of a video the one that suits best does not work.

You can try posting the URL and I'll take a look at it. With that said, the Internet Archive media site is not meant to replace a normal video player. Look for a [video] BBCode if you want to use a native player.

You can try posting the URL and I'll take a look at it. With that said, the Internet Archive media site is not meant to replace a normal video player. Look for a [video] BBCode if you want to use a native player.
I'm just picking something here but it seems like all URLs are the same.

Original URL that works:

direct URL:

As you can see the direct URL have 'download' before the page URL. Don't know if it's an easy fix or not. Just thought I'd mention it.

Top Bottom