s9e Media Sites

s9e Media Sites 2.15.6

No permission to download
The ref_url missing. XenForo default offers that URL portion. I would also take a look at other media sites that offer that portion. It's very important and good for social media sharing.
As I mentioned elsewhere, this has a number of technical and practical issues. Do you know of a specific way in which the referrer URL is used to improve sharing?

Did you plan to add JSFiddle in future updates ?
No but I'll consider it. There's already support for Codepen so I'll use that as a base.

and with an option to "add" the domains? Would this be possible?
Anything's possible but that'd be a lot of work to be usable. It's much simpler to manually create separate media sites for each network you'd like to support.

Nvm, I figured this out. I just changed the bb code to what it was in the original and it works now. You should add whatever the code is that allows the theme change though, good idea for a future update.
I agree, I'm thinking about ways to handle dark themes globally but I haven't come to a decision yet. Note that if you change a media site, it will be overwritten the next time you update the add-on. If you want a permanent solution, you need to create a template that overrides _media_site_embed_twitter.

I don't understand how that would work and what kind of (legal?) difference it would make since all of the links and widgets are automatically generated from user content. I'm not sure what would help with your use case so here's a couple of options:
  • If you don't specify an associate tag for .co.uk then links to amazon.co.uk will not carry it.
  • There is a XenForo option that automatically adds a link when a URL is converted to an embed. You can search in the admin panel for "autoEmbedMedia" and select "Auto-embed media, and add a link to the content within this BB code"
Let me know if that helps.
Circling back to this.
The first option above removes our ability to use your widget to generate revenue. We want to use your widget to generate revenue.
The second option does not add the link to Amazon below the widget generated by this addon. It doesn't work.

To explain the situation more fully, Amazon UK does not allow affiliate revenue generation from user generated links in forums. It's against their T&Cs, and in fact they made us agree to allow them to assign zero affiliate revenue % to the tracking ID we used for this. Our income instantly went down by about £1,000 per month.
However, if there is a system generated additional widget, then we can generate revenue from that.
So what we need is the original amazon link displayed unchanged plus your lovely affiliated widget displayed (either above or below) to generate the affiliate revenue.
This way, we can legitimately say that the user posted link is not affiliated, but our clever system has added an Amazon widget and we can legitimately generate affiliate revenue from that.

Plus (and this is fairly important) adblockers get to see the original link rather than an empty space where your widget is supposed to be.

Ideally you could add an option in this addon to either
  • replace the original link with your widget plus optional affiliate tag (current functionality) or
  • add your widget plus optional affiliate tag after the original Amazon link
Alternatively if you could share the variable which contains the original Amazon link, I can just pop that into the _media_site_embed_amazon template.
Many thanks.

Have you tried the "Auto-embed media, and add a link to the content within this BB code" option? It replaces the original link with an embedded widget (with affiliate tag) then re-adds the original link after it (no tag unless the user had one in the original link). Apart from the order in which they are displayed, that seems to do what you're looking for.

Have you tried the "Auto-embed media, and add a link to the content within this BB code" option? It replaces the original link with an embedded widget (with affiliate tag) then re-adds the original link after it (no tag unless the user had one in the original link). Apart from the order in which they are displayed, that seems to do what you're looking for.
The second option does not add the link to Amazon below the widget generated by this addon. It doesn't work.
That option doesn't do anything different.

If I manually add
Code:
[i][size=2][url={$url}]View: {$url}[/url][/size][/i]
to _media_site_embed_amazon
and refresh the page, the BB code flashes up unparsed for a moment and then disappears leaving only the Amazon widget.

Last edited:
Ok I understand what you mean. It does add a link, but at posting time. It does not go back and change old posts, nor does it change the way embeds are generated; That's why when you enable it you don't see a difference in old posts. It's only for new links.

I wouldn't expect BBCodes to work inside of a template but it's theoretically possible to add a link using HTML. It won't be the original link because the original link is lost after it's replaced, but you can recreate a generic link to the product. You'd need to add something like that to the template:
HTML:
<a href="//amazon.{{ $tld=='jp' ? 'co.jp' : ($tld=='uk' ? 'co.uk' : (contains('desfrinit', $tld) ? $tld : 'com')) }}/dp/{$id}">Amazon product</a>

I don't know whether that would satisfy Amazon's requirements.

Attachments

• light.webp
    light.webp
    31.2 KB · Views: 7
  • dark.webp
    dark.webp
    29.9 KB · Views: 7
there is a style property to set the theme dark. i worked for me. but it changed a bunch of other colors so i reverted back because fixing those colors would be too much work. but it should be great on a customized dark theme out of the box!

31iyxWk.png

I'm sure this has been addressed and apologies for asking...I have yet to move my site to 2.2 (or beyond)...is that now a requirement for this add-on or am I safe to update?

That's not quite possible. Changing the style of the current page only requires to replace the current stylesheet but to change the style of a document inside of an iframe it has be to reloaded with a new URL.

I'm sure this has been addressed and apologies for asking...I have yet to move my site to 2.2 (or beyond)...is that now a requirement for this add-on or am I safe to update?
The requirements on the add-on's page are kept up to date, the add-on really works on XF 2.0 to 2.2. I gave more details in this other post.

That's not quite possible. Changing the style of the current page only requires to replace the current stylesheet but to change the style of a document inside of an iframe it has be to reloaded with a new URL.

The requirements on the add-on's page are kept up to date, the add-on really works on XF 2.0 to 2.2. I gave more details in this other post.
Just updated. All good. Thanks!

Hello, i can't use JSFiddle, i don't know why.
For example i put this address in the field https://jsfiddle.net/nicodak/6jucLkex/5/ but i've got a 404 error in a black window.

Capture d’écran 2020-12-08 213021.png

Capture d’écran 2020-12-08 213102.png
The URL is correct ans saved into JSFiddle.
BTW did you notice as each click-on-save the number at the end of URL changes ?

https://jsfiddle.net/nicodak/6jucLkex/5/
https://jsfiddle.net/nicodak/6jucLkex/6/
https://jsfiddle.net/nicodak/6jucLkex/7/
https://jsfiddle.net/nicodak/6jucLkex/8/

Don't know if this can help, but i have no doubt you test it before adding to the add-on, maybe i'm doing somethong wrong.
Thanks.

Oh there is something interesting : it works for public JSFiddle page but not for created page as registered user.

this URL works : https://jsfiddle.net/6tep1j7u/
but not this one : https://jsfiddle.net/nicodak/6jucLkex/5/

For example i put this address in the field https://jsfiddle.net/nicodak/6jucLkex/5/ but i've got a 404 error in a black window.

I had never seen that kind of URLs until now, that's why it's not currently supported. I'll add support for those if possible.

BTW did you notice as each click-on-save the number at the end of URL changes ?
Yes, the revision number (at the end) is saved so if you link to a specific revision of a JSFiddle, that's the specific revision that will be displayed.

Top Bottom