s9e Media Sites

s9e Media Sites 2.15.5

No permission to download
It seems Kickstarter doesn't load or show anything just the space of where it should be.
The same page works fine in my browser. Try disabling your browser extensions, see if that helps.

This thread has a lot of tweet embeds.
I've looked into that page and I can't find anything that would explain why it doesn't resize for you, nor can I reproduce it. The next time that happens to you, check out you browser's error console and see if there are any errors listed. There may be a clue about what's going on.

@orthopug I'm attaching an experimental version of the add-on (2.6.14 Alpha) with a slightly different lazy loader that could possibly fix it for you. Give it a try and let me know if it changes anything. It's functionally equivalent to the current one.

Attachments

Last edited:
The same page works fine in my browser. Try disabling your browser extensions, see if that helps.

I've looked into that page and I can't find anything that would explain why it doesn't resize for you, nor can I reproduce it. The next time that happens to you, check out you browser's error console and see if there are any errors listed. There may be a clue about what's going on.

@orthopug I'm attaching an experimental version of the add-on (2.6.14 Alpha) with a slightly different lazy loader that could possibly fix it for you. Give it a try and let me know if it changes anything. It's functionally equivalent to the current one.
It's been a day since installing the Alpha version and the problem is happening much less frequently. I would say it improved by 90%.

JoshyPHP updated s9e Media Sites with a new update entry:

Added Rumble. Updated Twitter

Added Rumble. Thanks to [H]ard|Forum for sponsoring this addition.
Updated lazy loader. It may help with dynamically-sized embeds (e.g. tweets) being cut off.
Updated Twitter. Tweets are now slightly wider (550px vs 500px) and should load imperceptibly faster.

A word about embedded tweets. At the time of writing, embedding a text-only tweet using Twitter's default method requires 20+ HTTP requests and 3.5 MB of resources. This update...

Read the rest of this update entry...

The changes being made by Chrome and others to isolate cache even when they are calling same resource means this would be downloaded every time for individual domain 😌

Developers are coming up with creative solutions to get around this mess.
https://twitter.com/wongmjane/status/1330273157245243394
https://wongmjane.com/blog/lyft-cash

I got the email about this update and discovered I'm still on version 2.6.7, for some reason I thought addon auto-updated in XF2.

Is there a way to turn auto update on? If not, what's the easiest way to update an addon?

xenforo does not support wordpress style auto update for addons! not even core where you have to manually initiate the automated update process! personally i think it's good because forums tend to be more complicated and resource heavy compared to blogs so a lot more possibility of things breaking down.

easiest way is to download the file and install/update it through the addon installer feature in xenforo backend. it uploads and process install/update automatically from there.

1606065394511.webp

I don't know if this has been suggested already or even implemented. However...

I tried this addon quite some time ago, maybe as much as a year or two. My problem with it was that there were just too many media types and it felt just overwhelming.

I could see it being more useful if the options allowed the admin to select just the media types s/he wanted.

Is that part of the latest version(s) of this addon.

I don't know if this has been suggested already or even implemented. However...

I tried this addon quite some time ago, maybe as much as a year or two. My problem with it was that there were just too many media types and it felt just overwhelming.

I could see it being more useful if the options allowed the admin to select just the media types s/he wanted.

Yes, I believe so. You can enable and disable which you need or don’t need.

I'll confirm what Chromaniac and JoyFreak said but also that the ability to toggle media sites is part of XenForo itself. That means you can toggle individual sites even if they are not part of this add-on.

Use Chromaniac's URL or type "media site" XenForo's admin panel and you'll get the list of installed sites. There's a toggle button on each entry. If you click a site's name, there are more options, an option to disable a site completely or keep it enabled but prevent its links from being embedded automatically.

A word about embedded tweets. At the time of writing, embedding a text-only tweet using Twitter's default method requires 20+ HTTP requests and 3.5 MB of resources
One of the thing I like about Discord/Slack, is their embedding stuff somehow bypasses all this ****.

XF's url unfurl stuff used to return usable results from Twitter. But Twitter changed things and now it is broken :(

I upgraded the addon and all seems to be running well, can someone explain what "Rumble" is though? 😄

It's a video site. You can find it in XenForo's admin panel just by typing "Rumble" in the search box in the top right. That works with all the media sites and most of the features.

One of the thing I like about Discord/Slack, is their embedding stuff somehow bypasses all this ****.

XF's url unfurl stuff used to return usable results from Twitter. But Twitter changed things and now it is broken :(

Twitter still offers (for now) a public oEmbed endpoint that could be used to generate a lightweight, or text-only version of tweets. That would require reimplementing some sort of mock design for it. I don't think the average user cares about that, especially because tweets are loaded just-in-time.

Hi. Thank you very much for the plugin, I love it. After the last update twitter loads much faster, it was a big improvement.

I have a problem with gfycat, from my mobile I see a huge white space above and below, but on laptop it looks fine.

I also have a question. Is there a way to add "Autoplay video in viewport"? I found this but I don't know how to implement it.

Is the latest version of this add-on compatible with XF 2.1? Or is XF 2.2+ required?

(I know the overview page lists 2.1 as compatible, but several add-on developers have that same compatibility llisted yet require 2.2+ for their latest versions. So I've learned to ask each time just to be safe...)

Thanks!

After the last update twitter loads much faster, it was a big improvement.

That's interesting because I wouldn't expect anyone to actually notice. Did you upgrade from a much older version of the add-on? The only other explanation would be a particularly slow network.

I have a problem with gfycat, from my mobile I see a huge white space above and below, but on laptop it looks fine.

If you send me the URL for the Gfycat that does that I will look into it but that doesn't ring any bell at the moment.

I also have a question. Is there a way to add "Autoplay video in viewport"? I found this but I don't know how to implement it.

That's not possible by design. The way browsers embed those videos is like opening them in a tiny new tab in the middle of the screen. The XenForo page cannot really interact with the video inside of it, anymore than it can start or stop videos in another tab.

Is the latest version of this add-on compatible with XF 2.1? Or is XF 2.2+ required?

XF 2.0 as far as I can tell. I actually develop it on XF 2.0 because my 2.0 install is in development mode, then I upgrade my XF 2.2 install using the same archive that gets uploaded here. That more or less ensures that it works on both. I don't specifically test it on XF 2.1 but I'd be surprised if it didn't work on intermediate versions.

Last edited:
That's interesting because I wouldn't expect anyone to actually notice. Did you upgrade from a much older version of the add-on? The only other explanation would be a particularly slow network.
I don't remember, but I don't usually update things as soon as they come out, this time I made an exception, and I'm glad I did.
If you send me the URL for the Gfycat that does that I will look into it but that doesn't ring any bell at the moment.
It happens to me with all the Gfycat links when I test them on small devices. It fixed if I manually add "auto" to height and width in the post.
That's not possible by design. The way browsers embed those videos is like opening them in a tiny new tab in the middle of the screen. The XenForo page cannot really interact with the video inside of it, anymore than it can start or stop videos in another tab.
I realized that chrome and safari stop the videos when they are not in viewport, but I would like the videos to be loaded by default only when someone is watching them, in all browsers. I understand that it cannot be done with external links. Do you think it can be done with internal videos?

Embeds are only loaded when they are on screen, or about to be. Browsers can decide to start and stop video players but that's impossible for your forum to start or stop videos from another site. If by internal videos you mean .mp4 files that are displayed via a native player on your page then yes, but that would be outside the scope of this add-on. This add-on only handles content from third party sites such as YouTube, not local videos.

The add on worked perfectly until a few days ago. But I realized that if the rich editor is enabled, the embeds do not work...
It is maybe something related to the v2.2.1 update?

Top Bottom