s9e Media BBCodes pack

s9e Media BBCodes pack 20231102

No permission to download
By the way, would you mind describing to me how you use the blocklist? For instance: how big it is, how you determine which sites you put in it and why, etc... Do you block a lot of sites so that you only install a few of them? If so, why? The number of sites installed does not appear to affect performance or resource usage noticeably. Is that to preserve some media sites that you created yourself or that you installed via another add-on?

That would help me plan the next iteration of this add-on.
block list: blip, break, gametrailers, gamespot, googlesheets, ign, indiegogo, internetarchive, izlesene, kickstarter, pastebin, podbean, slideshare, prezi, rutube, metacafe, traileraddict, twitch, ustream, viagame, strawpoll, vk, vevo, yahooscreen, youku, scribd, vocaroo, audioboo, gofundme, vube, sportsnet, gist, googleplus, audioboom, vidme, videomega, dumpert, coub, khl, humortvnl

I block the sites if my members aren't going to use them. No one's ever going to use any of these, so on the list they go.

Resource usage - I do notice that the video embed loads better/faster/with less problems the less sites I use. I can't tell you why that is, but it just seems to go slightly faster. I don't have any other sites installed via add-ons.

If you have any other questions feel free to let me know.

I've tried to implement Mail.ru but I'm having issues with the first link. Both videos play fine on their site but only the second link can be embedded. The first one does not work embedded, the site says that the video is unavailable. I don't know why that it. Since you're more familiar with the site, do you know the difference between videos that have /corp/ in their URLs and videos with /inbox/?

Hi @JoshyPHP any chance you could add support for Media Crush please https://mediacru.sh/

https://mediacru.sh/OEmHxoo-1YM0
Good chances that I'll add it this week-end.

Reactions: TJA
I've tried to implement Mail.ru but I'm having issues with the first link. Both videos play fine on their site but only the second link can be embedded. The first one does not work embedded, the site says that the video is unavailable. I don't know why that it. Since you're more familiar with the site, do you know the difference between videos that have /corp/ in their URLs and videos with /inbox/?

I don't think this be by the corporate account. I think the problem is the video :).

Try with this videos:

http://my.mail.ru/corp/auto/video/testdrive/34.html
http://my.mail.ru/mail/share4u/video/_myvideo/14.html

@nos Ok, I'm going to update the add-on in a moment, once all the tests are done running. Mail.Ru is slightly annoying to deal with because they have inconsistent URLs. Most video publishers (e.g. YouTube, etc...) locate videos just by their ID string, usually a number or digits+letters. Mail.Ru has a bunch of different undocumented variables such as the origin (corp/inbox/mail/?), the username part (e.g. "share4u"), either "video" or "_myvideo" (and I can't figure out why some URLs use the first, some other URLs use the latter) and finally a number assigned to the video which isn't unique.

Anyway, I'm typing this to explain that it's a relatively complicated media site as far as media sites go, and there were more than one way to deal with it. I could either try to parse the URL the best I can, store those variables and hope to reconstruct the embed URL, or I could retrieve the whole embed URL from Mail.Ru servers. The first way is more flexible but it's more complicated and it has a higher chance of me missing something. The other way is simpler from a technical standpoint but it's less future-proof (will stop working if Mail.Ru change their site) and it forces me to retrieve data from Mail.Ru's server which has its own drawbacks as well as an ongoing maintenance cost. Long story short, I chose the second solution and now I hope that Mail.Ru will never update their site. If a video doesn't work, you can post its URL here and I'll have a look at it.

Edit: oh, it seems that videos with _myvideo in the URL cannot be embedded at all. :( Or rather, I can embed them but they won't play.

Last edited:
Reactions: nos
What URLs did you try? Can you explain what you do and what happens? Or take a screenshot if that's easier for you.

Also, look into your admin panel, there might be some errors in your server logs. It's possible that your server is configured to prevent accessing external resources.

Just a note with gfycat, you should be putting www in front of the domain, as sometimes the DNS screws up
(Example http://www.reddit.com/r/gfycat/comments/2kpdsy/gfycat_not_loading_at_all/)
It seems it was a one-time thing, I'm sure they take misbehaving ISPs into account before updating their DNS. If there was a more widespread issue, I'd be alerted to it by the test suite.
I will consider it for a future update.

Joshy, I think you may need to remove the Sportsnet.ca option - their video links are exactly the same as regular links, so when I try to post a link to a story it converts it to a video.

Thanks

Top Bottom