s9e Media Sites

s9e Media Sites 2.15.5

No permission to download
Those look like generic image/file hosts and I couldn't find anything about embedding their content. You could try hotlinking their images and videos, but there are already BBCodes for those, so there isn't much benefit in trying to support them via media sites.

Those look like generic image/file hosts and I couldn't find anything about embedding their content. You could try hotlinking their images and videos, but there are already BBCodes for those, so there isn't much benefit in trying to support them via media sites.
Imgur no longer allows their users to upload adult content. Members on a section of my site where I allow adult content are looking for an alternative. Would you know of any that's within the addon?

I think that Reddit would qualify on a technicality but otherwise no, I don't include adult-oriented content providers and general-purpose hosts tend to shun adult content so I don't think you'll find a suitable replacement in this add-on.

I would consider writing and possibly publishing a separate add-on for adult stuff if someone wants to sponsor it. If that's an option you want to explore, you can send me a direct message with your budget range and a list of sites that you'd like to use.

Finally, as a reminder it is always possible to create custom media sites for yourself without the need if any add-on. The XenForo user manual has a section about it and you can find assistance in the support forums if you're having troubles creating one.

I think that Reddit would qualify on a technicality but otherwise no, I don't include adult-oriented content providers and general-purpose hosts tend to shun adult content so I don't think you'll find a suitable replacement in this add-on.

I would consider writing and possibly publishing a separate add-on for adult stuff if someone wants to sponsor it. If that's an option you want to explore, you can send me a direct message with your budget range and a list of sites that you'd like to use.

Finally, as a reminder it is always possible to create custom media sites for yourself without the need if any add-on. The XenForo user manual has a section about it and you can find assistance in the support forums if you're having troubles creating one.

Ok thank you

As far as I can tell, Bluesky does not provide a way to embed their content in an iframe. There are third party applications that allow embedding content from bsky.social but they usually don't support custom (non-bsky.social) instances.

Currently I'm waiting for Bluesky to officially enable that kind of embedding. They certainly already have most of the infrastructure ready so it seems like a deliberate choice to me; I'm wary of hacking together some kind of makeshift solution to embed Bluesky posts only to see it disappear a few months later when they decide to keep it a walled garden.
It looks like they've made some recent changes for embedding:

It looks like they've made some recent changes for embedding:
That's nice. They're using a classic pattern where the post's iframe automatically sends a simple message to the page that embeds it. That means I can just process their message without executing their embed.js script.

I'm going to have to look into how it relates to Personal Data Servers / custom domains. I can't find any example of an actual PDS in use, if anybody knows of any custom Bluesky PDS please send it my way, thanks.

JoshyPHP updated s9e Media Sites with a new update entry:

Fixed dark theme embeds on XF 2.3

Embeds are properly set to use dark theme where applicable.

However, there is a caveat; Not every embed with a dark theme properly declares the proper color scheme. It will cause browsers to display them with a solid white background which will bleed outside of rounded corners. I manually fixed the Twitter iframe because it's the most visible, but others may misbehave. I'll publish more details in a later post.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Last edited:
I found out a few minutes after posting that despite being fully functional, 2.15.4 caused some error messages to appear in the admin logs on XF 2.2 so I have temporarily removed it.

I'll publish an update with a better fix later.

Not sure if this is coming from this add on-- i recently upgraded to 2.13.1 and running 2.2 latest xf

i went to my /help/cookies/ area and noticed many media sites don't have phrases? is this normal, or do i need to edit all these by hand?

Apple and a few other big-names are working, but the little guys are not...

1713838063475.webp

I found out a few minutes after posting that despite being fully functional, 2.15.4 caused some error messages to appear in the admin logs on XF 2.2 so I have temporarily removed it.

I'll publish an update with a better fix later.
happening with me as well! Can you please check if the version uploaded is the correct one. when i click on download its downloading version 2.15.4

i went to my /help/cookies/ area and noticed many media sites don't have phrases? is this normal, or do i need to edit all these by hand?

Apple and a few other big-names are working, but the little guys are not...
Yes it's from this add-on and normal expected, and you don't have to edit these. Some time ago I had planned on generating those phrases automatically but I ran into some issues, put it away from a while, and let it lapse. I'll take another stab at it later this week.

happening with me as well! Can you please check if the version uploaded is the correct one. when i click on download its downloading version 2.15.4
Yeah, the default download was still on 2.15.4. When I deleted the bad version I assumed that it would roll back to the latest one but apparently not. The new 2.15.5 update fixes that.

This does seem to work well. Not sure if the border issue you mention was resolved. But it definitely does not look bad on the default black variant on 2.3 at the borders. Maybe it's minimal and not that noticeable. Thanks for quick update!
Thanks for the feedback. I haven't had time to write a summary but literally minutes after posting the previous update (2.15.4) I found a better way to handle the discrepancy between color scheme: set everything to auto. I can't even find it in the CSS specs but it works on Chrome and Firefox. Otherwise, let me know if you notice everything out of place because I rarely use XenForo's dark scheme, or non-default styles for that matter.

after updating, still getting an error about the version
You're right, looks like I forgot to regenerate the archive after bumping the version number. This is now corrected and the 2.15.5 archive has the right version number. Everything else is identical.

Just mentioning some thoughts here. 2.3 has a embed_metadata field for posts to store image dimensions and other stuff probably.

And I remember you mentioning storing media embed dimensions of things like tweets in browser cache which improves page load on a second load.

Was wondering if you could eventually use this new field in future which would store the dimensions in database and can be used by all visitors.

Not really. It's relatively easy to obtain the size of an image by looking at the first few bytes of the file, but it would be much harder to compute the expected height of a tweet, which also changes depending on the size of the screen.

Top Bottom