s9e Media BBCodes pack

s9e Media BBCodes pack 20231102

No permission to download
When a tweet is cut off, it means that something is interfering with the JavaScript that resizes it to the correct dimensions. If disabling the deferred loading fixes it, I don't think it would be related to Chrome. I'll look into it later to see if I can reproduce this behaviour locally.

For what it's worth, the XF2 version of this add-on uses a different technique to lazy-load embeds, which is more reliable and more efficient. Unfortunately, backporting it to XF1 isn't straightforward and with XF1 being phased out it's difficult to allocate time for new features.

When a tweet is cut off, it means that something is interfering with the JavaScript that resizes it to the correct dimensions. If disabling the deferred loading fixes it, I don't think it would be related to Chrome. I'll look into it later to see if I can reproduce this behaviour locally.

For what it's worth, the XF2 version of this add-on uses a different technique to lazy-load embeds, which is more reliable and more efficient. Unfortunately, backporting it to XF1 isn't straightforward and with XF1 being phased out it's difficult to allocate time for new features.

OK @JoshyPHP, thanks for looking into it.

One other thing has come to my attention, my forum has a dark background and embedded Facebook posts seem to have no background color so the black text of the FB post is hardly visible. Here's an example: https://onlyonecardiff.city/threads/with-the-international-break.6556/

Is there anything that can be done about this bearing in mind I'm hardly likely to be able to have a chat with Facebook about the problem? :)

Yes, some of Facebook's embeds (those that contain a photo) are transparent. I don't think it's intentional on their part because text posts are white and videos are opaque. You can force the whole embed to be white in CSS if necessary. Edit your EXTRA.css template to add this:
Code:
[data-s9e-mediaembed="facebook"]
{
    background: #fff;
}

Yes, some of Facebook's embeds (those that contain a photo) are transparent. I don't think it's intentional on their part because text posts are white and videos are opaque. You can force the whole embed to be white in CSS if necessary. Edit your EXTRA.css template to add this:
Code:
[data-s9e-mediaembed="facebook"]
{
    background: #fff;
}
Absolutely brilliant, worked like a charm thanks 👍

@skicomau I'm currently testing a different method to handle dynamic embeds such as Instagram's. I'm still working on it but it would be interesting to see if it works better than the original in your forums. If you want to give it a try, you can replace your media site's Embed HTML template with the one below.

Code:
<iframe data-s9e-mediaembed="instagram" allowfullscreen="" onload="var c=new MessageChannel;c.port1.onmessage=function(e){style.height=e.data+'px'};contentWindow.postMessage('s9e:init','*',[c.port2])" scrolling="no" src="https://s9e.github.io/iframe/2/instagram.min.html#{$id}" style="border:0;height:540px;max-width:540px;width:100%"></iframe>

Last edited:

Hi @JoshyPHP, did you have a chance to look into it? I currently have "Defer loading embedded content" UNchecked but threads bounce around like crazy on loading when there are tweets loading in the thread and it makes for a terrible user experience.

I did, and I managed to unreliably reproduce it but I don't know what the issue is. I assume it requires some sort of race condition that I can't figure out.

I also looked into the feasibility of backporting the XF2 lazy loader to XF1. It's possible but I can't implement it easily because it would interfere with the old lazy loader. It's not terribly complicated to fix (it's relatively simple) but it takes time to actually do, which is a limiting factor at the moment. 😰

I did, and I managed to unreliably reproduce it but I don't know what the issue is. I assume it requires some sort of race condition that I can't figure out.

I also looked into the feasibility of backporting the XF2 lazy loader to XF1. It's possible but I can't implement it easily because it would interfere with the old lazy loader. It's not terribly complicated to fix (it's relatively simple) but it takes time to actually do, which is a limiting factor at the moment. 😰
Ah OK, that's a shame. Well thanks for taking a look. 👍

Any known problems with the gfycat embed?

Mine have all errored with Gfycat.com refused to connect and a gray box for the embed

Any known problems with the gfycat embed?

Mine have all errored with Gfycat.com refused to connect and a gray box for the embed
Same thing has been happening for me.

Also, Imgur videos only appear as a still photo once embedded, there's no play button.

Gfycat should work better in this version. As for Imgur, it's probably an issue on their side, their embedded content is relatively unreliable in my experience.

Just FYI, the package isn't compatible with XF2.1 install from archive. I got the following error:
Could not process XenForoMediaBBCodes-20181208.zip: File does not appear to be a valid add-on archive as expected.

My users are having the Twitter issue - only the bird shows up and the tweet doesn't load. It took a while to reproduce but basically, if you view the page in incognito mode in Chrome for Android and have an ad unit on the site, the tweet won't load with this plugin (xenforo 1.5 software). The standard embed code works (I have another feed on the site at the same time using the standard embed code from Twitter - and those Tweets load) but the embed via this plugin doesn't. It's bizarre and started a couple of months ago and I've been trying different things to troubleshoot it, but this is the combination I've found that seems to at least reproduce it. I'll mess with it further and hopefully, we can figure it out.

Top Bottom