Resource Manager Questions

The Dark Wizard

Hey guys!

I PMed mike with some questions on the RM and he told me to come ask on the forums because other users will be able to answer my questions(Hes really busy and I feel bad for PMing him any way :<).

Just had a few questions before it goes on sale.

I know that addons can make a thread but my question is can you link an existing thread to a new resource/addon/submission or what ever you call them?

Can new submissions be added to moderation for approval? If so do you need ACP level access or can a "moderator" do it?

I might have some more questions in the future but I think those are good ones for now.

Architecturally it is identical to the rest of XenForo.

Images are using the attachment system, style images use the standard directory format, and the js is served, as you'd expect, from the js/xenresource directory.

If you have the relevant settings configured for serving from the CDN then the Resource Manager will work with that.

Architecturally it is identical to the rest of XenForo.

Images are using the attachment system, style images use the standard directory format, and the js is served, as you'd expect, from the js/xenresource directory.

If you have the relevant settings configured for serving from the CDN then the Resource Manager will work with that.

Cool!

Can I change the date of resources?

I have some things from like 2008 that we want to upload but I don't want it to say for example Submitted on 2013.

Want to preserve most of our manual transfer to this as possible.

There's no Resource Change Date feature.

However, with the add-on I wrote to allow you to assign threads (or simply merging two threads together) the discussion will of course have the original create date.

Changing the date of the resource shouldn't be too much of a challenge though for an add-on... if that's what you're alluding to?

Here's my example then.
Someone tweaks the RM ... uses 25% of the code from the actual RM .. and 75% their own.
They've created an Articles Addon. It has very little if any visual appearance of the Resource Manager.
The addon has it own Route (/articles) and has it's own articles landing page.
It has no downloads, no Updates, no Reviews. Many of the major structures of the RM have been ripped out.
All the URLs are changed (no /resources) ... it's /articles.
The addon maker wants to release it ... it has no conflicts with the RM.
Can the addon maker sell it for $20 ?
Does a purchaser have to buy a RM licence too ? $60 + 20 ?

Is this not a question relating to extending the RM?

Presumably someone extending the RM to make their own article manager, etc would mean that the RM would have to be installed and all they are doing is building on top of it (much like you build on top of the XF core).

If they're not extending the RM and instead release their own standalone addon, then surely using any code from the RM is breaking copyrights, etc and wouldn't be allowed.

Isn't it pretty much the same as any other Addon? You could write an Addon that extends Chris's social media Addon to do extra stuff but you couldn't just take the 25% of his code you needed and release it as your own standalone Addon. We don't really have many (any?) addons that currently extend on other addons, they all just extend the core but there's no reason why not and I expect extensions to the RM to be very popular.

There's no Resource Change Date feature.

However, with the add-on I wrote to allow you to assign threads (or simply merging two threads together) the discussion will of course have the original create date.

Changing the date of the resource shouldn't be too much of a challenge though for an add-on... if that's what you're alluding to?

:D!

Think you can make such an addon to allow to change the date of a resource?

Do all Resource Manager questions belong in this thread, or if I have specific needs/questions should I make my own? I just don't want to jack someone else's thread. Hopefully it's cool to post new questions in here:

Anywho, here are some questions I had about the upcoming Resource Manager:

(1) Can sub-categories have the same name or does every category/sub-category require a unique name? I plan on having let's say 10 master categories, each one breaking down in sub-category based on a common word (where a sub-category in one category might have the same name as in another master category), then breaking that down again.

(2) Can we rename the filtering tabs at the top? Instead of "Newest Resources" call it "Newest Posts" etc.

(3) Can we create our own filtering tabs based on other criteria? Like for example "New Posts without Downloads".

(4) I've asked this in another thread, but can a resource have other tabs? Right now I see "Overview" "Version History" and "Discussion", I'd like other tabs like "people who love this resource", where people can simply click a button to add themselves to the tab.

Chris - I was told you were the guy to see on custom development! Nice to meet you, was hoping to get in touch with you to figure out if you're taking on new clients or if I could get a quote. Is it okay if I private message you?

Here's my example then.
Someone tweaks the RM ... uses 25% of the code from the actual RM .. and 75% their own.
They've created an Articles Addon. It has very little if any visual appearance of the Resource Manager.
The addon has it own Route (/articles) and has it's own articles landing page.
It has no downloads, no Updates, no Reviews. Many of the major structures of the RM have been ripped out.
All the URLs are changed (no /resources) ... it's /articles.
The addon maker wants to release it ... it has no conflicts with the RM.
Can the addon maker sell it for $20 ?
Does a purchaser have to buy a RM licence too ? $60 + 20 ?
My own personal common sense logic says to me that seeing as the original add-on is derived from the RM and the RM is released under a paid licence, that would be considered an add-on to the RM and would require purchasing of the RM.

Not to mention tutorials for everything that requires the change is already here, such as Jake's Route Changer and template edit tutorials.

Haha, everyone is fast on these forums Stewart! While I discuss custom development with Chris in private messages, I figured I'd ask two more general questions in public:

(1) Can you install more than one instance of the plugin or have a separate panel of categories? Using the Resources Manager on this site as an example, say I wanted to more definitively separate "paid" and "free" resources more definitively, either by having a whole separate Resource Manager page for each, or simply separate them in left hand side with a section for "Paid" and "Free".

(2) What kind of integration does the Resources Manager have with payment gateways? Does it work with specific ones or does "Buy Now for.." just forward the person to a different system that deals with payment integration?

(1) Can you install more than one instance of the plugin or have a separate panel of categories? Using the Resources Manager on this site as an example, say I wanted to more definitively separate "paid" and "free" resources more definitively, either by having a whole separate Resource Manager page for each, or simply separate them in left hand side with a section for "Paid" and "Free".

I'm almost positive I saw somewhere posted that you could only install the RM once on a site.

I'm almost positive I saw somewhere posted that you could only install the RM once on a site.
This is true.

It would require a large number of code modifications to get working.

You'd need to change the folder names from XenResource to something else to distinguish the new instance. Then you'd need to rename all of the class names. You'd have to give the add-on a new ID. You'd need to modify the database tables it writes to and all of the queries that reference it.

You'd then end up with disjointed data. So you'd have a member card that says I've released 50 resources. And either a second counter saying I've released X resources or only one counter because they overwrite each other or similar.

Ultimately it seems like it's really not worth the trouble.... That's before you even consider what you do if there's a major update... or if you have add-ons that you want to apply to both instances...

An add-on to add the needed functionality to the RM would be much more suitable in most cases.

I see what you mean, I only really considered multiple instances to accomplish creating a barrier, but since RM is so tied in with the XenForo core it will probably create more issues than it resolves. So does my 2nd idea make sense? Can I separate categories into "Paid" and "Free" category panels, instead of using the "Paid" and "Free" sorting tabs on the top-right?

Also, any idea about the payment integration question? At this stage it's not relevant yet as I'd like to build my community on free content, but keeping the big picture in mind I'd like an easy way to have people buy stuff directly from the Resource Manager if the community gets big enough to warrant it.

I see what you mean, I only really considered multiple instances to accomplish creating a barrier, but since RM is so tied in with the XenForo core it will probably create more issues than it resolves. So does my 2nd idea make sense? Can I separate categories into "Paid" and "Free" category panels, instead of using the "Paid" and "Free" sorting tabs on the top-right?

Also, any idea about the payment integration question? At this stage it's not relevant yet as I'd like to build my community on free content, but keeping the big picture in mind I'd like an easy way to have people buy stuff directly from the Resource Manager if the community gets big enough to warrant it.
Which payment gateways are supported?
Currently there is no payment processing built in. All payments are handled externally.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/resource-manager-faq.46527/

Thanks for the Q+A Brogan! Good info on that.

Yes, you can create categories called whatever you like.

Maybe I'm misstating the question, let me re-word it. Right now the way it is, you have:

Categories

1. XenForo Tips and Guides 72
  2. Add-ons 671
  3. Importers 6
  4. Redirection Scripts 4
  5. Code Modifications 13
  6. Development Tutorials 23
  7. Styles 115
  8. Template Modifications 141
  9. Graphics 98
  10. Translations 132
  11. Other Resources 22
What if I wanted to have two seperate PANELS, one on top of the other but visually separate, such that it becomes:
Paid Resources

1. XenForo Tips and Guides 72
  2. Add-ons 671
  3. Importers 6
  4. Redirection Scripts 4
  5. Code Modifications 13
  6. Development Tutorials 23
  7. Styles 115
  8. Template Modifications 141
  9. Graphics 98
  10. Translations 132
  11. Other Resources 22