Resource Manager Questions

The Dark Wizard

Hey guys!

I PMed mike with some questions on the RM and he told me to come ask on the forums because other users will be able to answer my questions(Hes really busy and I feel bad for PMing him any way :<).

Just had a few questions before it goes on sale.

I know that addons can make a thread but my question is can you link an existing thread to a new resource/addon/submission or what ever you call them?

Can new submissions be added to moderation for approval? If so do you need ACP level access or can a "moderator" do it?

I might have some more questions in the future but I think those are good ones for now.

Any takers on this ?
There's nothing to stop someone from developing add-ons to make the Resource Manager into something else. Just because it's an add-on doesn't mean that you can't develop add-ons for it. You could make an add-on for an add-on for an add-on if necessary.

So using the normal XenForo code event listeners, it should be possible to do anything with the code.

Any takers on this ?
From the announcement:
Xenforo said:
What is the Resource Manager?
The Resouce Manager is a XenForo add-on that allows you to manage resources such as files and tutorials or other article-like content along side your normal forum. The aim is allow content such as files to be listed with a focus on the initial content rather than discussion surrounding it.

Resources can be sold (as a link to external purchase handling), downloaded directly from the resource manager, downloaded from an external URL, or provided without a file. The administrator can control the type of resources allowed and who can post them on a per category basis.
As I read it, it already is an article manager.

Here's my example then.
Someone tweaks the RM ... uses 25% of the code from the actual RM .. and 75% their own.
They've created an Articles Addon. It has very little if any visual appearance of the Resource Manager.
The addon has it own Route (/articles) and has it's own articles landing page.
It has no downloads, no Updates, no Reviews. Many of the major structures of the RM have been ripped out.
All the URLs are changed (no /resources) ... it's /articles.
The addon maker wants to release it ... it has no conflicts with the RM.
Can the addon maker sell it for $20 ?
Does a purchaser have to buy a RM licence too ? $60 + 20 ?

From the announcement:
[...]
As I read it, it already is an article manager.

I've read all 4 pages of the thread so far, but still not sure on if the tabs in a resource can be added to or changed? Eg. Non file Resources have Overview | Reviews | Discussion. Will I be able to add another tab to that called 'Fred' and place some content within?

I'm thinking/hoping to use the RM as a sort of trip/travel article system, and add a tab called 'Map' and then the user who creates the RM can input start, waypoints, and end and it pulls in a dynamic Google Map showing the route highlighted. Thus overview is about the trip, reviews and discussions as they are, and a map tab showing the trip.

I'm thinking/hoping to use the RM as a sort of trip/travel article system, and add a tab called 'Map' and then the user who creates the RM can input start, waypoints, and end and it pulls in a dynamic Google Map showing the route highlighted. Thus overview is about the trip, reviews and discussions as they are, and a map tab showing the trip.
I would be highly interested to see it in action when finished.

View attachment 42126

Mockup for erich37 :)
I suggested this because I thought it would be easy to do and not every Resource Manager will want the same Landing Page as xenforo.com's.
Some Resource Managers will only have a handful of items.

Enabling the Resource Manager landing page to display a Xenforo page would make the RM more flexible.
I added two tabs: Resource Guide and Editor's picks.

Nice idea (y)
Why not still keep the Tab named "Latest Updates" ?

The interesting stuff to this idea is this:
If your "Categories" in the RM are the same as your "Forum-Nodes", then you could run all your Forum-discussions inside the Resource-Manager.

Bam, your Homepage now looks like the RM but with integrated Forums. :cool:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/integrate-forums-into-the-resource-manager.46376/

:coffee:

I have a whole lot of user created content already I will want to import to the RM from an addon. I don't mind doing it manually as it's only about 150 items. (oh dear downloading/ uploading all those images!)
But I'll need to edit the dates to the original dates of publication.
(Answered elsewhere with link to ******* addon)

Top Bottom