Resource Manager Questions

The Dark Wizard

Hey guys!

I PMed mike with some questions on the RM and he told me to come ask on the forums because other users will be able to answer my questions(Hes really busy and I feel bad for PMing him any way :<).

Just had a few questions before it goes on sale.

I know that addons can make a thread but my question is can you link an existing thread to a new resource/addon/submission or what ever you call them?

Can new submissions be added to moderation for approval? If so do you need ACP level access or can a "moderator" do it?

I might have some more questions in the future but I think those are good ones for now.

The solution is getting a bit too technical for me, though I am glad there is a potential solution that I can have implemented by a developer, thanks everyone!

Here is another scenario I would be curious knowing whether they would be technically feasible (and the difficulty involved if possible):

Would it be possible to have check boxes next to categories, so that they control what resources are displayed based on what's checked? The reasoning behind this being, say you are interested in specific subcategories but want to omit other subcategories. Having check-boxes would let you pick and choose more specific stuff to display, and would make the categories act even more super-filter-y (excuse the made up terminology).

Requires an add-on.

Here is another scenario I would be curious knowing whether they would be technically feasible (and the difficulty involved if possible):

Would it be possible to have check boxes next to categories, so that they control what resources are displayed based on what's checked? The reasoning behind this being, say you are interested in specific subcategories but want to omit other subcategories. Having check-boxes would let you pick and choose more specific stuff to display, and would make the categories act even more super-filter-y (excuse the made up terminology).
Also, IMO, I don't think this would be needed if you build you categories and subcategories out in an organised manner. The resources displayed becomes less and less the more you navigate through the category tree, as each category displays it's child categories resources "Resources are being shown from all child categories." Click on a child of that parent, and it reduces the resources being shown.

MattW- agreed, but there are cases where you might want to select multiple sub-categories as opposed to primary categories that include resources from all child categories.

For example, say you want to create a store selling resources from different developers. Each developer would have their own primary category, with sub-categories based on stuff they sell. You're only interested in resources of the "Moderator Tools" variety, but from different developers who happen to have 10 different sub-categories each.

I guess in this case using the "search" feature would probably make more sense, if you can limit the search feature to category titles. Or maybe some kind of dynamic plugin that would re-organize the categories list based on conditions like exact title of the sub-category, so that it would show "Moderator Tools" as on category regardless of the developer.

For the time being, this is the best I have come up with for tabs for a resource inside of the Resource Manager.

http://www.xfshowcase.com/resources/xfs-meme-moods.37/

Looks awesome! Would it require anything extra to let people add themselves to a tab? For example a tab like "People Endorsing This Resource", where they just click "add me" or something like that, then it adds their profile pic to that tab (and lets them un-endorse it at any time).

Ideally I would be able to use info from that tab, like the total # of people endorsing the resource, to have it as a filter in the main resource page working the same way as "Latest Updates" "Newest Resources" "Top Resources" "Most Downloaded" do.

Probably been answered, but that would involve reading through the entire thread.

Quick question, does it support sub-categories from the main resource categories?

So for example you could have

Windows - main category

- Win2K
- XP
- Vista
- Win7
- Win 8

Existing under the main category.

Probably been answered, but that would involve reading through the entire thread.

Quick question, does it support sub-categories from the main resource categories?

So for example you could have

Windows - main category

- Win2K
- XP
- Vista
- Win7
- Win 8

Existing under the main category.
Yes

What are the "abilities" of Resource Manager compared to IP.Content for IPB?

I mean is it that powerful and simple to use / code as IP.Content ? since you use PHP/HTML/CSS there, i do worry that i will have to learn xen framework lol

Oh ok, gotcha.. then i guess 60$ would be too much compared to its functionality/abilities.

Since IP.Content is priced at 75$ and has so many functions compared to Resource Manager, i see no point of pricing it at 60$(after the end of promo of course).

Oh ok, gotcha.. then i guess 60$ would be too much compared to its functionality/abilities.

Since IP.Content is priced at 75$ and has so many functions compared to Resource Manager, i see no point of pricing it at 60$(after the end of promo of course).
Because it's a v1.0 product, with future functionality to be developed down the line. :)

Top Bottom