Reactivation fee

bookmark

Can anyone tell me how much is the reactivation fee for xenforo?I noticed that xenforo stuff said the reactivation fee would be a range from 40 to 140.
I need the exact number before determining to buy a license.Thanks.

I apologize for not reading this whole thread, but it's certainly an important topic to be sure.

I think after the release of vBulletin 3.7 and later 3.8, an alarming number (at least to IB corporate and Jelsoft) of customers did not renew the software. I believe this caused such concern that a penalty was put in place to drive behavior for customers who might otherwise have not renewed. I won't lie. I didn't upgrade to 3.8 because I didn't need any of the features. I had not really implemented any of the social features made available in 3.7, and 3.8 mostly polished those features.

I don't think we'll have this problem of people not renewing with XenForo, especially if the software development focuses not on whiz-bang features but on continuing to build out a powerful architecture that any number of "bloaty" plugins can be added to. ;)

I understand that XF would be taking a chance to allow customers to renew at-will, relying on the strength of the software alone to drive sales. And I believe that model is always better for the consumer than trying to drive customer behavior with a reactivation fee.

At this point, the reactivation fee is a distraction from the main spotlight -- the rapid development of awesome software.

The important part of this is this was not mentioned at any moment when we signed up to purchase a licence. So basically if you wish to push it with Trading Standards (if in UK) then you would have a very very good case.

Me I'm just getting sick of getting messed about by forum companies and I had hoped it wouldn't be the case with xF :(

'Good faith' isn't a reason not to read the license agreement, or details for renewal. Also, not once did anyone of authority make mention of the pricing be like vBulletin's old renewal model, that was purely your assumption.
more than once the old vbulletin licensing scheme was referred to as the inspiration.

I will say that we have been leaning heavily towards an owned-license-plus-yearly-renewal scheme that resembles the way that vBulletin used to be licensed, rather than a pay-per-version model.

Also this does seem like an endless discussion but I know one thing, I purchased my license knowing full well there would be an annual renew.

It's not the renewal that's the problem, it's the fact that the renewal doubles and becomes the $80 "reactivation" fee if your license has been expired for 9 months or longer.

It's not the renewal that's the problem, it's the fact that the renewal doubles and becomes the $80 "reactivation" fee if your license has been expired for 9 months or longer.

I haven't got a problem with this if the product retains the quality and stability we have grown accustomed to. I like to keep on top of my updates and chances are customers who do to won't allow themselves to fall back on their update or renewals so chances are you'll be paying the 40$ annual renewal.

Let's be honest. who in their right mind allows their renewal to pass them by for that length of time?

Your mention of vBulletin and IPB say otherwise; theres no point in bringing them up unless you're comparing them to XenForo. Also, their renewal system works, you're just unhappy with it because you didn't read the license terms, or didn't understand them (They're pretty clear).

I'd suggest making a new thread, as this one has gone from seeking information to complaining, and no alternatives have really been offered. Complaining does nothing, whereas if you appeal logically, and offer up a new solution that would be lucrative for XenForo, as well as fair to customers -without- comparing other forum solutions, and get enough people to back you without complaints, accusations, insults or anything else that would put them off, I'm sure they'll work with the customers.

As for losing access to modifications/support... I never understood why vBulletin allowed that in the first place. Quite honestly, people were capable of staying with an older version, and still get the same treatment as active customers. Thats like me buying a car and expecting the warranty to continue forever.

My mention of vbulletin and IPB was in reply to someone else who was talking about different pricing structures that work, so that is why the were mentioned, so please dont tell me what I should and shouldnt be bringin up. :rolleyes:

Suggesting have been put forward, $40 a year renewal without the penalty. No ones been insulting to anyone as far as I can see and all criticism has been constructive. Going back to the mention of other forum software, which you believe comparrisons shouldnt be made - Its the same business, and if their pricing business model works, I can see every reason for it to be brought up.

Now no offence, but please get off your high horse and stop preaching to me about what I should and shouldnt write and what comparisons I should or shouldnt use. Im a customer and will voice my concerns. Its upto Xenforo if they want to listen. If they dont, then I'll move on. Simples.

Ya.. but there is just TOO many of them. It will be hard to keep up.. that is unless one of them becomes dominate for resources. I can't see msyelf having to visit 3-4 different places. So I guess we will see if someone can get enough people to visit just one mods community forum.

I agree, having more than one mod/plugin site just fractures the community and makes it more difficult for users to find the plugin/mod they need.
People need to put aside their egos and personal issues and work on one site, for the benefit of all.

I haven't got a problem with this if the product retains the quality and stability we have grown accustomed to. I like to keep on top of my updates and chances are customers who do to won't allow themselves to fall back on their update or renewals so chances are you'll be paying the 40$ annual renewal.

Let's be honest. who in their right mind allows their renewal to pass them by for that length of time?

Me? I did with vbulletin and I do with IPB. I still renew, but when im ready too. I dont appreciate being told to renew or face a penalty.

The important part of this is this was not mentioned at any moment when we signed up to purchase a licence. So basically if you wish to push it with Trading Standards (if in UK) then you would have a very very good case.

Me I'm just getting sick of getting messed about by forum companies and I had hoped it wouldn't be the case with xF :(

Err, it was mentioned well advance, it’s in the release announcement and on the 'buy it' page where there's a link called 'details'.

Me? I did with vbulletin and I do with IPB. I still renew, but when im ready too. I dont appreciate being told to renew or face a penalty.

I understand your point of view but as stated by others this was told in advance and documented. Chances are and i all serious the amount of people that fall behind will be in the minority. It's just like any billing system online or offline you are setup to pay.

There's an idea, perhaps an automated billing system feature where a customer can input a date for their renewal to be renewed? I dunno, just a suggestion for those who allow their billing to pass them by for a healthy length of time. Personally, I keep up with my bills and renewals whether it's online or offline.

I understand your point of view but as stated by others this was told in advance and documented. Chances are and i all serious the amount of people that fall behind will be in the minority. It's just like any billing system online or offline you are setup to pay.

There's an idea, perhaps an automated billing system feature where a customer can input a date for their renewal to be renewed? I dunno, just a suggestion for those who allow their billing to pass them by for a healthy length of time. Personally, I keep up with my bills and renewals whether it's online or offline.

I pay my mortgage, electricity, gas, water, council tax, credit card etc on time. Thats completly different to Xenforo. Its not a case of me forgetting to pay, its a case of I want to be able to renew when I want too, without having to worry about a penalty charge.

I was aware of the "penalty fee" when i purchased the two licences. I was also aware I only payed $100 each, compared the price of $140 now, so 3 months time if I need to sell I wont be out of pocket.

Really don't know what the problem is. As others have said, the point about renewals and reactivations was mentioned on the forum long before the beta was released. It is mentioned in the buying details on the main site, where you buy the software, under the details link. If you don't actually read the clearly linked details page then, sorry, you want to be more careful. That's what 'details' are for.

As Shelley also says, it's was mentioned long before release and was clearly documented. If people choose not to read clearly linked details then, with all due respect, that's their lookout.

Really don't know what the problem is. As others have said, the point about renewals and reactivations was mentioned on the forum long before the beta was released. It is mentioned in the buying details on the main site, where you buy the software, under the details link. If you don't actually read the clearly linked details page then, sorry, you want to be more careful. That's what 'details' are for.

As Shelley also says, it's was mentioned long before release and was clearly documented. If people choose not to read clearly linked details then, with all due respect, that's their lookout.

One problem being you havent read the thread properly! I for one havent said anywhere I didnt know about the "reactivation fee". The majority of posts are not because people didnt know about it either. People are complaining because there is a reactivation fee aka a penalty.

Ive said it a few times, but I will repeat! I knew about the penalty, but still purchased two licences for $200 saving $80. I was hoping the powers that be may reconsider this penalty fee. If they dont, 3 months time I can sell my licences for the same price I purchased them at and get my money back! Nothing lost at all.

One problem being you havent read the thread properly! I for one havent said anywhere I didnt know about the "reactivation fee". The majority of posts are not because people didnt know about it either. People are complaining because there is a reactivation fee aka a penalty.

Ive said it a few times, but I will repeat! I knew about the penalty, but still purchased two licences for $200 saving $80. I was hoping the powers that be may reconsider this penalty fee. If they dont, 3 months time I can sell my licences for the same price I purchased them at and get my money back! Nothing lost at all.

Dave the whole concept is to avoid the major upgrade fees if a new version comes out if I'm not mistaken. Do you honestly think it's fair for you to wait 4-5 years not paying a single upgrade fee then **when XenForo becomes larger than google and takes over the world with the vast power of it**, that it's appropriate to pay a single $40 fee for a complete overhaul?

I myself would MUCH rather pay a small annual renewal fee than have them release 2.0 and charge a full blown license fee due to no income on other routes. I feel if KMA stand strong on the policy they initially rolled out with it shows confidence that they will be developing like crazy for this software down the road and it will be worth-while to keep your renewal.

*****EXTREME SARCASM PLEASE DON"T CRY

One possible reason it isn't on the front page is that this is a public comment period in which Ashley is using to gather feedback to make necessary adjustments before policies are fully implemented.

Top Bottom