Reactivation fee

bookmark

Can anyone tell me how much is the reactivation fee for xenforo?I noticed that xenforo stuff said the reactivation fee would be a range from 40 to 140.
I need the exact number before determining to buy a license.Thanks.

Dave the whole concept is to avoid the major upgrade fees if a new version comes out if I'm not mistaken. Do you honestly think it's fair for you to wait 4-5 years not paying a single upgrade fee then **when XenForo becomes larger than google and takes over the world with the vast power of it**, that it's appropriate to pay a single $40 fee for a complete overhaul?

I myself would MUCH rather pay a small annual renewal fee than have them release 2.0 and charge a full blown license fee due to no income on other routes. I feel if KMA stand strong on the policy they initially rolled out with it shows confidence that they will be developing like crazy for this software down the road and it will be worth-while to keep your renewal.

If someones not going to upgrade for 5 years, under this scheme they only have to pay an $80 penalty, so that argument dosent hold much water TBH.
If someone dosent renew, they dont get access to support (official or community), upgrades ,modifications and modification support. Thats enough to encourage most people to upgrade each year. So why not just drop this penalty charge and get more custom.

Yeah, i think Ashley needs to rethink the "Developers must pay to support their own mods" idea as im sure at least some will see it like that.

I think the point that some are missing is that the renewal ISN'T just access to the mods section but it's access to the latest upgrades. Why would a mod developer want to make a mod on an old version of the forum software? There may be some exceptions to this of course however since comparisons were made previously in this thread... should vb3.8 mod makers get vb4 for free just to port their mods? NO. Not saying this is a guarantee but majority of the mod makers would probably get donations to continue their renewals, heck I've seen a couple mod makers already stating someone bought an entire license for them to port their mod.

Russ,
Again that argument really dosent work. Take vbulletin for example. (Same industry etc before people complain). Theres mods developed for 3.5, 3.6, 3.7 and 3.8.
Say someone develops a mod for XF1.1, they may not want to update their mod to work for XF1.2 and once their support has expired, they will no longer be able to offer support for the XF1.1 version.

No ones talking about mod authors getting XF for free. I think your getting confused. If you dont renew your support, you cant access or download any modifications. As such if someone releases a mod and dosent renew their licence, they cant provide any support as they will have no access to the forum.

If someones not going to upgrade for 5 years, under this scheme they only have to pay an $80 penalty, so that argument dosent hold much water TBH.

How doesn't "it hold much water"? $80 to $40 is actually rather large price difference in terms multiple license holders. Dave it boggles my mind you bought with full knowledge of what it entailed but with the intention to complain about it and to try to change it.

What do you know another "argument" that doesn't work Dave... let me guess this one won't work either right?

How doesn't "it hold much water"? $80 to $40 is actually rather large price difference in terms multiple license holders. Dave it boggles my mind you bought with full knowledge of what it entailed but with the intention to complain about it and to try to change it.

Yeah and ive already explained why. I took advantage of the sale knowing that in 3 months I can sell the licences without losing any monet if theres no leeway in the penalty charge.

It dosent hold much water because your saying everyone should pay $40 per year, meaning over 5 years you have paid $200 in support. Someone that dosent want to do this and waits for the next major release can pay the penalty of $80 and download it.

Theres already been people in this thread say they havent purchased licences beacause they are put off by this penalty fee. Others have stated the penalty fee will only be paid by a minority. So has having the penalty fee that apparently only a few people will pay lost XF more custom then they would have gained?

According to how I'm reading it it would cover one.
If someone has multiple licenses and needed support, could they not just reactivate one? Which license they are going to use the support for is decoupled from the support staff. Upgrades are a different story though.

Also why are people calling it a penalty fee? There needs to be a source of income to keep development going and yearly fees are the solution. You could also pay for each new version release but the devs chose the lesser of two evils.

Yeah and ive already explained why. I took advantage of the sale knowing that in 3 months I can sell the licences without losing any monet if theres no leeway in the penalty charge.

It dosent hold much water because your saying everyone should pay $40 per year, meaning over 5 years you have paid $200 in support. Someone that dosent want to do this and waits for the next major release can pay the penalty of $80 and download it.

Theres already been people in this thread say they havent purchased licences beacause they are put off by this penalty fee. Others have stated the penalty fee will only be paid by a minority. So has having the penalty fee that apparently only a few people will pay lost XF more custom then they would have gained?

Dave that argument doesn't hold much water as the purpose of the renewals is to avoid purchasing a new license when a major release is made. Again I don't see the $80 as a penalty but more of a cost of development over time. That's just my 2 cents

I havent said anyting about buying a new licence when a major release is made?!
We'll have to agree to disagree. I see the $80 as nothing more then a penalty for not renewing.

If someone has multiple licenses and needed support, could they not just reactivate one? Which license they are going to use the support for is decoupled from the support staff. Upgrades are a different story though.

Also why are people calling it a penalty fee? There needs to be a source of income to keep development going and yearly fees are the solution. You could also pay for each new version release but the devs chose the lesser of two evils.

Because its a penalty for failing to renew within the timelines.
Source of income comes from selling the licences, additional products (copyright removal etc) and from people that want to renew each year to download ugrades, get support and download modifications.

Top Bottom