Duplicate Change the reaction menu on mobile from long press to tap

RobinHood

I'm not sure the reaction menu being accessible from long press on mobile is the best option, I think there's a few issues with it being long press on a web site.

First of all, long press on mobile web is generally used as a mobile right click to bring up a native mobile os menu. It doesn't have a widespread use of being used for interacting with the site on a large number of web sites (I've only seen it used on facebook, no where else). This means it's not an action that many people use regularly already when browsing the web unless they're avid facebook mobile web users.

This effectively hides the reaction menu from those who have never used one before and makes it hard to discover, because they may not think to hold down on the Like button to see more options unless they're specifically instructed to do so.

Then there's the issue with long press on phones with touch sensitive screens, I regularly accidentally activate peek on my iPhone when trying to long press the like button and I think I've got pretty good dexterity. If you're instructing the users of your forums that they need to long press on the like button to access this new feature I think there will be a decent subset of users who also associate pushing hard with a long press, because they're not used to it, so will also activate this. I witness this when teaching some users who to copy and paste text using long press functionality in native apps, they often push very hard instinctively.

There is then also the case of accidentally liking by tapping, when you may intend to react differently, which requires the long press. In which case you will have to undo the like, and re do the action. This will result in erroneous and multiple push notifications being sent to that user.

If it was a single tap to bring up the menu, then a single tap to choose your reaction, this would help mitigate this. It would also expose all the reactions to a user every time they use the feature, encouraging users to make use of reactions other than like, and giving a greater diversity of reactions given to all posts.

Some may argue that it means it will mean you always need two taps for like if you change it to this way, yes that's the case. But two quick light taps I think is better than forcing users to use two different input methods to action different reactions, that are part of the same feature.

I've been using the tap to expose the menu, tap to select on my XF2 site with @Xon s add on for ages now on mobile, and it's great.

This is also the default behaviour that IPS uses on mobile, it works well and feel much snappier and easier to use rather than waiting for long presses. Every other action to engage with buttons in XF is via tap, keeping it consistent will help make it easier to use. I think it's definitely better than long press and it should be the default way of engaging with reactions on mobile.

Upvote 7
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Top Bottom