Fixed  Quoting does not display correct username

maybe the posts should be updated when someone's name changes?

Yeah, this was always a bit inconvenient when I changed a user's name on my vB platform, that all the quotes would not inherit that change. But, not a big problem. I mean, when other members refer to the user in postings (by typing their name), this is -ofcourse- also not changed when a user get's a new name. So, this is why I am no jumping high in the sky if a users want's a name change and I can never really understand why some admins even want a user function, so that users can change their names themselves! Puzzling...

I can't see the post quotes changing, simply becuase the quote forms part of that post content, and is stored in the post table.

It's a bit of an edge case to be chasing to be honest. The only time it's going to appear is if you quote an old post from before a user rename.

It's a bit of an edge case to be chasing to be honest. The only time it's going to appear is if you quote an old post from before a user rename.
Oh, I wasn't aware that it only occurs when you quote posts that were made before the username change. I thought it affected all posts made by the user, regardless of whether it was made before or after the change.

As others said, it's no biggie then.

why not insert a small information on the old posts (or quotes thereof), like the user has changed his username.

So when quoting posts from a user at which he still had his old username, then still using his old username is fine as it currently is.
Just additionally giving an information on the old posts (or on quotes of old posts) like e.g.:
"please note that user abc has changed his username to xyz"

why not insert a small information on the old posts (or quotes thereof), like the user has changed his username.

So when quoting posts from a user at which he still had his old username, then still using his old username is fine as it currently is.
Just additionally giving an information on the old posts (or on quotes of old posts) like e.g.:
"please note that user abc has changed his username to xyz"
If they were to that, it would be better to instead just update the username in posts. Both would require searching through posts for every instance of the username and changing something in the post (to either add something to it, or change the username in it).

so when a user is changing his username, what happens with "Following" ?
Let´s say I am following a user, but then he is changing his username.
Am I still following that user when he is changing his username ?

Behind the scenes, you are following the user, not their username, so it will be unaffected.

so when a user is changing his username, what happens with "Following" ?
Let´s say I am following a user, but then he is changing his username.
Am I still following that user when he is changing his username ?
I'm not sure if the alert would change the text to match the username, but that wouldn't change the fact you're following them.

Top Bottom