1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fixed Quoting does not display correct username

Discussion in 'Resolved Bug Reports' started by Grover, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Grover

Grover Well-Known Member

Go to this posting:
    http://xenforo.com/community/thread...763/page-3#post-9529

And then quote that posting.

You see this:

--------
    [ quote="wwed, post: 9529"]I feel vBulletin went overboard with appeasing the "make it an option!" crowd. There comes a time when the developer has got to make a decision over items that aren't going to decide world peace. I would not be happy to see the following options in the Admin CP:

"Display thread pagenav: Below Quick Reply / Above Quick Reply"
    "Display Quick Reply Avatar: Yes / No"

Everyone has strong feeling because the experience is new to us. Ask yourself if you really are going to be so invested in such matters way down the line. You'll care more about how you can reuse attachments in a sensible manner, can I leverage a notice system, where is that damned CMS.[/ quote]
    --------

But the posting is from Freddie. I assume it had something to do with a name change maybe?

2. KURTZ

KURTZ Well-Known Member

maybe Scott has edited the username in the quote manually ... :)

3. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Try and quote it yourself, and the same thing happens. ;)

KURTZ likes this.
  4. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

I am thinking about his possible name change?

5. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Yes. It's still quoting with the old username.

6. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

I thus assume the post table references the username of the user. How is it proposed to correct this in this case?

7. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

I think it's done by ID, not username.

8. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

But then why is the old username still being referenced to? Can't be cached.

9. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

When you quote, look at the BBcode. I just quoted you, so I see:

[quote="vrtsolus, post: 28559"]

It's within the post and uses that it seems, so scratch my last post. :p

10. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Thing is, when you quote this post (which, according to the postbit, was posted by Freddie): http://xenforo.com/community/thread...763/page-3#post-9529 ... his old username, wwed, is what is referenced.

11. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

This is quite odd, unfortunately, I haven't seen the code or database schema, so I can't go further. Damn :(

Actually, that thread is issuous. That must be before he got his name changed, becuase here:
    http://xenforo.com/community/threads/firefox-cleartype-opacity.1999/#post-28168, it works fine.

12. Disjunto

Disjunto Well-Known Member

strange issue, I'll have to blame some kind of caching system

13. KURTZ

KURTZ Well-Known Member

you're right Nick ... :)

14. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

But it doesn't explain post phenomena as I pointed out.

15. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

Yes it simply explains that he changed his name... That is fine in my eyes but it does raise the question of how the heck did he change his name :p

16. Disjunto

he requested a name change?

17. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

That's the only logical explanation at this point. Now if he did, I don't know.

18. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

Maybe, but as this is a very rare case I don't see any problem with old posts showing old usernames, though it is a weird case it also makes sense...

What if I quoted him before he changed his username it would show the old user but then you quoted the same post after the change and it showed the new user, this is more inconsistent. this way all old post no matter when they are quoted will show the old name, and all new posts will show the new name.

19. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

The username is stored with the post, so it's fetching whatever the username was at the time the post was made.

20. Disjunto

maybe the posts should be updated when someone's name changes?