Quick look at UI.X 2

*Gush* I just cannot wait for UI.X Pro to be released

Here is another quick look at UIX. We added a node footer now where you can quickly create threads, watch, and bookmark.

View attachment 176211

I'm missing some option here, how can I enable watch forum icon in the node footer and also last poster avatar with 2.0.6 or is this one of them teaser jobs?
Yeah and where's my Pro damnit? :)

Last edited:
I'm missing some option here, how can I enable watch forum icon in the node footer and also last poster avatar with 2.0.6 or is this one of them teaser jobs?
Yeah and where's my Pro damnit? :)
Hmm it's an update to nodes we didn't release yet. We wanted to perfect nodes as well before launching so yeah all add-ons are coming at once.

Hmm it's an update to nodes we didn't release yet. We wanted to perfect nodes as well before launching so yeah all add-ons are coming at once.
Just out of interest: will the add-ons with "Pro" in their name be available separately? I've already bought a number of Xenforo 2 themes from Themehouse and am subscribed for add-ons. I'm no stranger to configuring things and would like to implement the Pro aesthetic (or most of it) myself without having to pay the $199, especially TH Topics Pro (I'm quite fond of Flarum).

Just out of interest: will the add-ons with "Pro" in their name be available separately? I've already bought a number of Xenforo 2 themes from Themehouse and am subscribed for add-ons. I'm no stranger to configuring things and would like to implement the Pro aesthetic (or most of it) myself without having to pay the $199, especially TH Topics Pro (I'm quite fond of Flarum).
Yes, you will. Pro is mostly the proper configuration/setup, but will of course come with all the add-ons and perhaps some additional services we want to scope in (maybe hosting or audits, for example). Pricing is least of my concerns, Im just working on the product at the moment and making sure its the best I can do.

Regarding Topics though, as it stands we aren't sure if we're going to release it. If we do, it may be under special terms. The reason is that it is essentially a replacement for nodes. We aren't sure what its going to do across thousands of forums, so that one alone may be on a 'contact us' basis or something for the short term. Its done, and going to be sent to beta team people tomorrow.

Besides, UI.X Pro is claiming to be the ideal forum experience. And for existing forums, Topics may not be ideal. User won't be used to it, and it may cause confusion. For new boards, it may be quite a bit cleaner of an experience. Topics is first and foremost a UX improvement, despite it needing to integrate in XenForo in various ways that required back-end changes. But the realistic nature here is that we won't be requiring it for UI.X Pro if people do not want it (and won't be recommending it for large existing forums)

TLDR is I dont know if Im releasing it and at what cost. If you want to beta test it we could use the help!

Yes, you will. Pro is mostly the proper configuration/setup, but will of course come with all the add-ons and perhaps some additional services we want to scope in (maybe hosting or audits, for example). Pricing is least of my concerns, Im just working on the product at the moment and making sure its the best I can do.

Regarding Topics though, as it stands we aren't sure if we're going to release it. If we do, it may be under special terms. The reason is that it is essentially a replacement for nodes. We aren't sure what its going to do across thousands of forums, so that one alone may be on a 'contact us' basis or something for the short term. Its done, and going to be sent to beta team people tomorrow.

Besides, UI.X Pro is claiming to be the ideal forum experience. And for existing forums, Topics may not be ideal. User won't be used to it, and it may cause confusion. For new boards, it may be quite a bit cleaner of an experience. Topics is first and foremost a UX improvement, despite it needing to integrate in XenForo in various ways that required back-end changes. But the realistic nature here is that we won't be requiring it for UI.X Pro if people do not want it (and won't be recommending it for large existing forums)

TLDR is I dont know if Im releasing it and at what cost. If you want to beta test it we could use the help!
My forum is still fairly new so we've been thinking that the simpler Discorse/Flarum paradigm would help with growth.

I'd love to help beta test.

You are only talking about Topics, right? :) UIX Pro / Wordpress bridge etc... are still on track - seems like it is on Github but me very eager to finally have it :),
Yeah, ugh, just so many things we want to perfect. There is a beta board that will be live to the public tomorrow so everyone can play it a bit. It is done, minus just little improvements. Beta teamis probably done now. @Ian Hitt @Dalton Prock

Last edited:
Hello Guys,

While we aren't completely finished (another few days to go), we are proud to post our first beta demo of UI.X Pro, which you guys can view here: https://demo.themehouse.com/xf2/beta/uix-pro/

Feel completely free to sign up, make some posts, and test out the system. We'd love to hear any suggestions you may have, especially in regards to using Topics as opposed to Nodes (which we are very excited about :) ). It has been a long process, but we are finally getting to the end of what we believe to be the best forum experience, and by the time we are all said and done, hopefully you all will feel the same :)

Quick note also, we have a rather large mobile improvement coming Friday, as the current demo's mobile system is a bit older. But any feedback is most appreciated, don't feel like you have to hold back :D

Feel completely free to sign up, make some posts, and test out the system. We'd love to hear any suggestions you may have, especially in regards to using Topics as opposed to Nodes (which we are very excited about :) ). It has been a long process, but we are finally getting to the end of what we believe to be the best forum experience, and by the time we are all said and done, hopefully you all will feel the same :)

I like the idea of topics but a few questions:

• Could you exclude topics, so say if you wanted to hide everything related to "xbox"
  • Is there a maximum amount before it becomes unusable - could it handle say 10,000 topics (for example a topic for each movie, game, product)
  • Is there a way to mix nodes and topics, so you could have a separate area with no, or different topics (ie, a market place)

@Grant

1. Not at the moment. I'm not sure if this is a normal use-case (to be honest it doesn't seem very helpful) but if it's something that people agree they would like to see then we could certainly add it in :)

2. Do you mean scalability from a user experience perspective or a performance perspective? If you mean user experience, it is much better with topics vs nodes, however of course everything has a usability limit (just like having 10,000 nodes would.) However, there are some sites that employ this tactic and still have great usability, my favorite example being Stack Overflow which has 55,404 tags :0 and they do it phenomenally.

3. There is not, and this is by design. The problem with nodes in general is that they are exclusive (as in, a thread can only live in one node.) The problem with this is that mean there is one 1 available path for discovering that thread. By using topics, you increase the users ability to find those threads by giving them multiple paths of discovery, if that makes sense. What you are suggesting already exists with Thread Prefixes, if you want them to be exclusively scoped to a node.

Topics is more or less designed to replace nodes entirely. I know that this is a large shift from what we all know about Forums, but we really believe this is the best way to discover content. Of course, we aren't actually replacing nodes entirely. Under the hood, every topic has a one to one relationship with a node, so if a user did not buy into using Topics, they could simply switch to the node list and use that instead with no disruption (assuming you let them.)

This also means that every time a user makes a new thread without using Topics, it is still getting tagged with whatever Topic is mapped to the node that he posted in.

Last edited:
pro-giveaway-3.webp
Hey folks! We have some amazing news for those of you eagerly awaiting the release of UI.X Pro. We're giving away 3 UI.X Pro licenses!! That's right, a lucky few will be getting their own full suite of products and a list of recommendations to bring their forum to the next level.

Curious how to win a license? You must comment on the Facebook post here with the following:
  • Your biggest goal for your forum
  • A link to your current community
View the terms and conditions here.

Again make sure to post on our Facebook and not on this thread to qualify. We're really excited to hear from you all!

Top Bottom