1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a CMS planned?

Discussion in 'General XenForo Discussion and Feedback' started by Hemanth, Jul 29, 2010.

1. feldon30

feldon30 Well-Known Member

Menalto Gallery 1 was lean and mean.
    Menalto Gallery 2 is a massive beast with so many features stuck on that it grinds web servers to a halt if you turn everything on.
    Guess what Menalto Gallery 3 is? ;)

2. Been Told

Been Told Well-Known Member

:D

3. feldon30

Ok, I think it's time to come up with another term than CMS...

Multiuser Hierarchical Content Publishing System (MHCPS)?

I need a term that includes Joomla, Drupal, and DotNetNuke, and excludes vBAdvanced, and most other "portals". Wordpress is honestly on the fence. 95% of websites could be built on it.

jonsidneyb and Been Told like this.
  4. jonsidneyb

jonsidneyb Well-Known Member

Thanks for that information. I assumed too much. I guess that means I have a question I need to ask in the appropriate place.

Thanks again for educating me on that.

5. feldon30

I elaborated on my post.

6. jonsidneyb

People are helpful out here in the nicest ways.:)

7. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

'CMS' means so many different things to so many different people. In my book, vBAdvanced (while a great vBulletin add-on) is not a CMS in the traditional sense of the term. I would categorise it as a combined article publisher and portal system, which is a completely different kettle of fish from an actual CMS such as Drupal or Sharepoint.

Regardless, we haven't ruled out any future products, we have just said that our focus right now is on a top-flight forum system and the architectural platform on which it's built.

Abomination and ked38 like this.
  8. Been Told

Been Told Well-Known Member

Which if done right, will certainly allow good third party devs to create great addons.

HydraulicJack likes this.
  9. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

The thing is, most of the people who say they -need- a CMS system, really only need a portal with an article system on the forum.

10. Kier

I completely agree - I'm just very careful about ever saying 'we are working on a CMS' because it can have such widely varying interpretations.

11. Forsaken

Would it be possible to do a -simple- portal system, where you can promote articles to the front, or show articles from a certain forum?

Just that alone would get a lot of people to stop requesting it, because the rest could probably be expanded easily enough.

12. erich37

erich37 Well-Known Member

would it be possible to do this at a later stage and get the Forum itself released first ? :p
    A WordPress bridge (whatever that is) would handle the trick.....no need to invent another WordPress.

ked38 likes this.
  13. Forsaken

I want just the plain forum, but I don't think adding a simple portal system would delay the launch that long, and it would cut down on a lot of the threads we've seen lately.

14. Kier

The fact that it would delay the launch of the forum at all is enough for me to say no. Forum first.

HydraulicJack and erich37 like this.
  15. Forsaken

I actually meant for it to be added later, after the first release or whenever. I was just responding to erich's post ;p.

16. erich37

Anyway, why do we need some kind of "article system" when you can anyway publish your articles as a new Thread in your Forum ?

So in the end writing a new Forum-Thread is the same as an article-system, with the advantage of having structured comments and spur discussion.

There is a great article-system build into XF already, see this:
    http://xenforo.com/community/forums/have-you-seen/

17. Forsaken

Notice, my point was for the people complaining about the lack, so they would have a reason to not complain now.

I don't have a need for a CMS, as my site will require a custom portal anyways, we'll just integrate it into the forums.

18. jonsidneyb

I agree with you Kier,

I was thinking only of a close substitute until that time can be comfortably reached. :)

I do want first things first.

19. erich37

Trust me, people will complain even more so, when they figure that the "CMS" (which they wish to see in XF) will not meet all of their high expectations from the beginning.

ked38 likes this.
  20. jonsidneyb

Thinking....the only think I do want it to promote products from the forum to the front page, that is how I pay for the forum.

If that is what vBAdvanced something similar would cover me a year or two.

As long as the article and comments would also be in the forum as a thread and posts I would be set.