Is there a CMS planned?

Thinking....the only think I do want it to promote products from the forum to the front page, that is how I pay for the forum.

If that is what vBAdvanced something similar would cover me a year or two.

As long as the article and comments would also be in the forum as a thread and posts I would be set.

you mean like having your forum-articles on the front-page or what ?

Trust me, people will complain even more so, when they figure that the "CMS" (which they wish to see in XF) will not meet all of their high expectations.

No CMS will meet anyones expectations; everyone has a different concept of what a CMS is.

Supplying something (Later on, when there is spare room to do so) a portal system would meet most demands, as thats what -most- admins use it for.

you mean like having your forum-articles on the front-page or what ?

Yep...It needs to be cleaned up but there it is. I broke a lot of the comments when I added a mod to allow the content to be the same in the threads and on the front page.

Well, I actually cut and pasted the various articles after moving them out of vBcms to they would be in both places. Actually some of them were very long on the comments.

Maybe what I am looking for an article system and not a CMS.

http://edcforums.com/index.php

I guess it should be easily possible to get some of your own Forum-posts (let´s call them "articles" now) to be made featured and sticky at your homepage.
So once somebody clicks on your own article (which is your own first thread), he will be forwarded to the full Thread containing that article.

But if you just change the current homepage towards the main Forum-page being your homepage, it would give you the same effect. Given you have a Forum-Category named "Announcements".

What is a CMS?

As a Wise man once said...

'CMS' means so many different things to so many different people.

It is an acronym for god sake... It could mean Cheese Meat Sandwich, but trying to base it on the fact it means Content Management System even that has 100x different meanings to different people because it is just 3 words it can not be a definitive description of a software type.

If CMS magically stood for "A Web Platform that allows you to manage content in a simple and easy way, independent from the template system and the normal upload/download procedure and duplicated code evolved in creating static HTML pages." then your question would makes sense but well that would be AWPAYMCSEWIFTSNUDPDCECSHP wouldn't it??? not CMS

As a Wise man once said...

It is an acronym for god sake... It could mean Cheese Meat Sandwich, but trying to base it on the fact it means Content Management System even that has 100x different meanings to different people because it is just 3 words it can not be a definitive description of a software type.

If CMS magically stood for "A Web Platform that allows you to manage content in a simple and easy way, independent from the template system and the normal upload/download procedure and duplicated code evolved in creating static HTML pages." then your question would makes sense but well that would be AWPAYMCSEWIFTSNUDPDCECSHP wouldn't it??? not CMS
Which is the main problem with supplying a CMS solution; we need to define what is required in a CMS for a -forum-.

I'm sure its been agreed to by the majority, but vBCMS falls short, but its what was asked for for god knows how long by vBulletin customers.

Before we expect a CMS to be released, perhaps the more knowledgeable members of the forum should start brainstorming what is -needed- for the CMS, so it'll give Mike and Kier an idea of what we expect, and what would reach the required use by the majority of users.

This is a better question.

CMS can be many things to many people, or in my case, a content management systems has only one feature: management content. Nothing else.
Agreed, however many people use it for different things, so it should be able to cover a wide variety to cover most uses.

Top Bottom