Is there a CMS planned?

I have used BuddyPress.org for the past and have been active within that community for over a year.
The developers there have listened to all kind of wishes from people and build so much stuff and features into the software, so that the whole system become totally confusing in terms of user interface (although it is in fact just a WordPress-Plugin).

Guess what happened then ?
All webmasters realised only later on that they have troubles with the software and a hard time to use and customize it. So webmasters got very angry and complained about all the confusing features build into it: webmasters complained: "why did you build a kitchen sink ?"
Menalto Gallery 1 was lean and mean.
Menalto Gallery 2 is a massive beast with so many features stuck on that it grinds web servers to a halt if you turn everything on.
Guess what Menalto Gallery 3 is? ;)

The fact that vBAdvanced has been out here makes me ask a question. Isn't he going to try and tackle a CMS solution? While there might be many alternatives out there I was thinking that was one of the many solutions.
Ok, I think it's time to come up with another term than CMS...

Multiuser Hierarchical Content Publishing System (MHCPS)?

I need a term that includes Joomla, Drupal, and DotNetNuke, and excludes vBAdvanced, and most other "portals". Wordpress is honestly on the fence. 95% of websites could be built on it.

The fact that vBAdvanced has been out here makes me ask a question. Isn't he going to try and tackle a CMS solution? While there might be many alternatives out there I was thinking that was one of the many solutions.
'CMS' means so many different things to so many different people. In my book, vBAdvanced (while a great vBulletin add-on) is not a CMS in the traditional sense of the term. I would categorise it as a combined article publisher and portal system, which is a completely different kettle of fish from an actual CMS such as Drupal or Sharepoint.

Regardless, we haven't ruled out any future products, we have just said that our focus right now is on a top-flight forum system and the architectural platform on which it's built.

'CMS' means so many different things to so many different people. In my book, vBAdvanced (while a great vBulletin add-on) is not a CMS in the traditional sense of the term. I would categorise it as a combined article publisher and portal system, which is a completely different kettle of fish from an actual CMS such as Drupal or Sharepoint.

Regardless, we haven't ruled out any future products, we have just said that our focus right now is on a top-flight forum system and the architectural platform on which it's built.
Which if done right, will certainly allow good third party devs to create great addons.

The thing is, most of the people who say they -need- a CMS system, really only need a portal with an article system on the forum.

The thing is, most of the people who say they -need- a CMS system, really only need a portal with an article system on the forum.
I completely agree - I'm just very careful about ever saying 'we are working on a CMS' because it can have such widely varying interpretations.

I completely agree - I'm just very careful about ever saying 'we are working on a CMS' because it can have such widely varying interpretations.

Would it be possible to do a -simple- portal system, where you can promote articles to the front, or show articles from a certain forum?

Just that alone would get a lot of people to stop requesting it, because the rest could probably be expanded easily enough.

Would it be possible to do a -simple- portal system, where you can promote articles to the front, or show articles from a certain forum?

Just that alone would get a lot of people to stop requesting it, because the rest could probably be expanded easily enough.

would it be possible to do this at a later stage and get the Forum itself released first ? :p
A WordPress bridge (whatever that is) would handle the trick.....no need to invent another WordPress.

would it be possible to do this at a later stage and get the Forum itself released first ? :p

I want just the plain forum, but I don't think adding a simple portal system would delay the launch that long, and it would cut down on a lot of the threads we've seen lately.

Anyway, why do we need some kind of "article system" when you can anyway publish your articles as a new Thread in your Forum ?

So in the end writing a new Forum-Thread is the same as an article-system, with the advantage of having structured comments and spur discussion.

There is a great article-system build into XF already, see this:
http://xenforo.com/community/forums/have-you-seen/

Anyway, why do we need some kind of "article system" when you can anyway publish your articles as a new Thread in your Forum ?

So in the end writing a new Forum-Thread is the same as an article-system, with the advantage of having structured comments and spur discussion.

There is a great article-system build into XF already, see this:
http://xenforo.com/community/forums/have-you-seen/
Notice, my point was for the people complaining about the lack, so they would have a reason to not complain now.

I don't have a need for a CMS, as my site will require a custom portal anyways, we'll just integrate it into the forums.

I agree with you Kier,

I was thinking only of a close substitute until that time can be comfortably reached. :)

I do want first things first.

Trust me, people will complain even more so, when they figure that the "CMS" (which they wish to see in XF) will not meet all of their high expectations from the beginning.

Thinking....the only think I do want it to promote products from the forum to the front page, that is how I pay for the forum.

If that is what vBAdvanced something similar would cover me a year or two.

As long as the article and comments would also be in the forum as a thread and posts I would be set.

Top Bottom