Fixed  ImageMagick Imagick PECL Extension / animated avatars not working

imagick installed ok, but it's doing weird things when uploading gifs into xenforo.
I tried it with quite a few animated gifs and they are all glitching

imagick installed ok, but it's doing weird things when uploading gifs into xenforo.
I tried it with quite a few animated gifs and they are all glitching
Indeed.
Try that gif I posted in that thread see if you get the same error as me and Deebs did.

I tried it with your animated gif

Here's what it looks like uploading from Chrome
pic2.webp

and here's how it looked after uploading from FireFox
pic1.webp

It animates badly in Chrome and appears as a single image in FireFox

I can't see any errors in the server logs

I was testing animated gifs as avatars, and most of them worked perfectly. They appear animated throughout the forum.

There was one that threw the following error when uploading them:

The following error occurred:
Please enter a positive whole number.

The previous avatar remained on the page after closing the error popup, but after navigating away from the page, the avatar that I attempted to upload had replaced the old avatar, but with multiple issues:

• The animation appeared broken in the user menu at the top right of the forum homepage
  • In 'staff online' as well as the topic listing inside a forum, the image was not animated and was stretched
  • When viewing a thread, the avatar was animated, but 'broken', and was aligned in the top left corner of the avatar box.
Attached is the original file, and the resulting animated/non animated files that were generated.

Attachments

• d013.gif
    d013.gif
    2.2 KB · Views: 18
  • forumhomeusermenu.gif
    forumhomeusermenu.gif
    4.1 KB · Views: 15
  • thread-listing.gif
    thread-listing.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 16
There's already a bug report open for animated avatars, in which the error you posted about has already been reported, so I have merged the threads.

Although there is more than one problem here, it's likely that they will all be dealt with at the same time as they are all related to the library/extension.

When enabling use of the imagick library in XenForo, animated gifs (uploaded as avatars) are given the extension .jpg, and served as image/jpeg. They still animate properly (the largest version anyways) so I suspect they're actually in .gif format, but the extension and mime type is wrong.

Also likely more of a bug with imagemagick, but the smaller/resized versions of some animated avatars are coming out just blank/white.

Top Bottom