Group membership moderators

Group membership moderators 2.2.1

No permission to download
Would it be possible to give users the ability to add or remove themselves (and only themselves) from a group?

We are looking for a way to give our users user toggalable Banners, and it appears that virtually all the functionality that we need is provided by this mod (which is great by the way). The only issue is that allowing those users to add or remove themselves would by necessity also allow them to add or remove anyone else to the group. Not to mention them having to type in their username.

My current thought would be an additional group permission that if flagged would replace the "View" button with a "Join" button that just adds them to the group. Or an additional Join button next to the View button.

Doing that you would also have to close the security loophole of going direct to the view URL. Perhaps a permission to only add themselves to the group.

EDIT: Found a way to accomplish this
Found a way to do this with a combination of the following addons:

And a step by step guide if anyone else wants the functionality:

Step 1) Set up a User Group. I will call it (Subscriber) Tier 1. Permissions don't matter.

Step 2) Set up a User Group. I will call it Tier 1. Set (Subscriber) Tier 1 as a Group Moderator for the Tier 1 group. Set other permissions or display options as you desire.

Step 3) Create a Custom Field (/admin.php?custom-user-fields/) using Drop Down Selection or Radio Buttons. Create an option for each choice you want to give the User. I placed mine under Preferences.

Step 4) Go to User Group Promotions (/admin.php?user-group-promotions/) and create one. Check the Add User to User Groups box for the Tier 1 group (not the (Subscriber) Tier 1 group). Under Apply This Promotion While, choose User Groups: (Subscriber) Tier 1. Go to User Field Criteria and scroll down to Preferences. You should see the Custom Field that you created in Step 3, check the box next to its name and the option that is associated with the group.

Step 5) Add users who you want able to use this option to the (Subscriber) Tier 1 group (via any of the available options for doing that).

Now the Users have an option under Preferences for which group they are in/is displayed. If you want to allow multiple banners at once, use multiple choice selection for the custom field. If you want the user to always have the relevant permissions and only be able to choose to display/not display a banner or Username coloring/title then put those permissions on the (Subscriber) Tier 1 group and only the Banner/Title/Username options under the Tier 1 group.

I would also like to thank @Xon for two of the three addons that make this possible, and for a bit of advice about how to go about doing this.

Last edited:
I'm having an odd error happening, all files are uploaded I got in the download, but I keep getting the following error;

1566745178592.webp

What files is it talking about? :confused:

What happens when you go to Add-ons > Install/upgrade from archive and upload the complete .zip from there?

I might've entirely forgot that was an option. Damn. I should've tried that first. Installed with no problems! Thank You!
Never gave me any issues with doing the installing manually, so I never really installed anything from archive, but hey, if it works it works!

Moderators can't remove members already in the groups before installing the add-on. When they add a new one themselves they can. As an admin i have no problem doing this.

That doesn't sound good. I can remember one of the older versions had this problem but should be fixed long time ago.
To be sure, you are using the latest version of the add-on 2.1.5, right? If so, I will do some more checks.

Moderators can't remove members already in the groups before installing the add-on.
I have checked this, but can't reproduce it. It's working fine, even for members that where added to a group before installing the add-on.
Tested with a moderator account and a user account.

What does a moderator see when removing a user, getting an error message?
Any message in the 'server error log' or 'user change log'?
And how did you configure the groups. Did you add 'user based' or 'group based' moderators, or both.

No error message, they only see them still in the group.

Also nothing in 'server error log' but i can see in the 'moderator log' they tried multiple time removing the members. No changes in the 'user change log'.

But it was only with one usergroup it didn't work i think. Will do some more testing to be sure ;)

I managed to add the addon, but what makes me sad is that users cannot apply? Is it possible for you to bring this with the next patch or something?

If readers apply and mods can accept/deny that would be dope.

Last edited:
This is a great add-on. We use to manage our huge board of more than 50k active users.

It would be great if we can have a direct link to add a member to a group from the member tooltip without going through account>modertaed gorup>view>add. same for removal. I have done a slight adjustment but still not acting the way we want.

4234.webp

Hi :)

Great addon, just a slight issue that for some reason I cannot add groups to moderate another group.

VtnPQ0X.png

There are no tickboxes. It could potentially be because there are so many groups, we run quite a large board with plenty of usergroups?

Many thanks!

I'll try to reproduce it with 50 groups.
Might also be something with the group naming, like long names or weird chars.

Top Bottom