View IP-Addresses permission for non Super-Moderators

Saarbruecken

Groups & Permissions > Moderators > Add Moderator > Forum Moderator > View IP Addresses

I original expected, that this would only apply to the forum, the moderator has been assigned to. But apparently they now can see anyone's ip address at the whole forum and Members Online list. Is this a bug or working as designed?

It was also my expection, that normal Moderators are unable to get the IP address of an Administrator or Super-Moderator.

Thanks.

Setting group permissions affects every user in the group site-wide. Setting group node permissions affects every user in the group in that node and its child nodes. You can also set user permissions, either site wide or on a node and its child nodes. For granting moderators permissions in the forum they moderate, you should set their permissions on the moderators page itself (admin.php?moderators).

It was also my expection, that normal Moderators are unable to get the IP address of an Administrator or Super-Moderator.
Moderators with permission will be able to view the IP address of all posts in their respective forums.

Setting group permissions affects every user in the group site-wide. Setting group node permissions affects every user in the group in that node and its child nodes. You can also set user permissions, either site wide or on a node and its child nodes. For granting moderators permissions in the forum they moderate, you should set their permissions on the moderators page itself (admin.php?moderators).

Moderators with permission will be able to view the IP address of all posts in their respective forums.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding your explanation, but that's exactly the problem I am having.

In admin panel I navigate to Groups & Permissions > Moderators and add a new moderator for node A and node B.

In node A the moderator does not have the permission to see any IPs, but in node B he gets the permission "View IP Address". After saving, the check box "View IP Address" is set in both nodes, A and B. When I remove it in Node A, it's also gone in Node B. When I set it in Node B again, it is also set in node A. And the moderator can see all IP addresses in all nodes including the Member Online List.

My mistake, you're right. The IP address permission is a general moderator permission, which all apply site-wide. The only permissions which are scoped to the node level are the forum permissions and forum moderator permissions.

So my question is still: working as designed or a bug? lol

I consider this as a bug, only Super Moderators and Administrator should have permissions that apply site-wide.

As designed. All generator moderator permissions apply to systems which are content-agnostic, so they are not scoped to nodes.
Okay, I see. You should however consider changing the this in the UI as following:
  • When creating a moderator for a certain node, you should NOT be able to set permissions, that apply site-wide.
  • Permissions that apply site-wide should require to be Super Moderator.
I understand the intention, I also understand why you have made this design decision, but in the UI it should be changed as proposed above, because only options that apply to nodes should be visible there. Thanks for your time and considering my suggestion. :)

You can post a thread in the suggestion forum for consideration. I don't imagine we'll remove the ability to set these permissions for forum moderators as there can be valid use cases for them, but I do agree it's confusing so it might be best if there were a note that they apply site-wide.

In this particular case, since the IP address of a member would be revealed when they post in the forum anyway, restricting access to it elsewhere seems a bit niche (it's typically going to be the same IP address and no more or less sensitive).

Top Bottom