• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Full native RESTful API built into XenForo

RickM

Pretty self explanatory and would do wonders for development work. I know there is an addon in the resources area however:

A) It's not been updated in ages
B) It's a no brainer that this should be built into the core.

An API would allow:

- Very easy integration into 3rd party software
- Infinite customisability if the API was to allow addons to 'hook' into it to add extra API classes
- Modding would be stupidly simple to do

A few usage examples:

- Mobile apps. Creating a complete native Mobile application would be possible without having to resort to calling to webview and displaying a 'dumbed down' web version of the system.

- Remote user authentication by calling direct to the authentication system without having to reload or redirect people

- Remote reply posting (ideal for blogs, you could use XenForo as your comment system)

- Automatic thread creation (again, a good one for blogs)

- Integrate into CMS systems

- Pull any sort of info out of XenForo

zooki

What about these two? One seems new and the other is updated recently:

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/bd-api.1732/

and,

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/xenapi-xenforo-rest-api.902/

Definitely need things to be easier to integrate with other platforms or to create my own.

I need a stronger Mobile presence. ( I know there has been debate over App VS responsive design, but well built apps win hands down. A lot of my users mostly use browsers in their smartphones for googling and temporary browsing)

These APIs can hopefully bring the Xenforo community much needed integration with Drupal and WordPress. -- This can quell the constant demands for CMS. In fact the latter, especially Drupal are frameworks from which anything is possible! - It is better to integrate with established CMS which have 1000+ amazing plugins and support, than to do a VB or IPB style halfbaked mashup.

Contex

As the developer of XenAPI I strongly support a built-in RESTful API in XenForo as it would allow endless customization.
Even if my REST API is currently fully functional, it still lacks a bunch of functions and adding additional functions is time consuming as I am the only developer.
I hope to see this being built-in into XenForo sometime in the future.

RickM

I thought this was dead but in the last week I've had a crapload of notifications of people liking the first post :p

It's a shame nothing at all has been said on this. It's something that would add so much flexibility to XenForo, and allow for some awesome mods.

DaiAku

I thought this was dead but in the last week I've had a crapload of notifications of people liking the first post :p

It's a shame nothing at all has been said on this. It's something that would add so much flexibility to XenForo, and allow for some awesome mods.
I could not agree more. I would love to see this in Xenforo and it would really help us with an upcoming project.

feldon30

There is still no outside script that can say "Log this user into XenForo". All the APIs I've seen require you to pass the login/email and password. Well, what if I don't have/store their password? Or what if I don't want to store the user's password in XenForo's database? What if I don't want to send that information across a domain? I should be able to have an outside script just TELL XenForo "user with e-mail address X should now be considered logged in!"

If you want to read just how painful it currently is to integrate XenForo with a third-party script that will be handling all the authentication, read here:
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/login-logout-register-from-outside-xenforo.65878/#post-709906

Last edited:

Kintaro

+1 RickM!

I also think that with APIs other suggestions like PUSH Notifications or SmartPhone's App and could be developed/integrated more easily from KAM or 3rd party devs. What do you think?

xfrocks

There is still no outside script that can say "Log this user into XenForo". All the APIs I've seen require you to pass the login/email and password. Well, what if I don't have/store their password? Or what if I don't want to store the user's password in XenForo's database? What if I don't want to send that information across a domain? I should be able to have an outside script just TELL XenForo "user with e-mail address X should now be considered logged in!"

If you want to read just how painful it currently is to integrate XenForo with a third-party script that will be handling all the authentication, read here:
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/login-logout-register-from-outside-xenforo.65878/#post-709906
Well, this add-on uses [bd] API and OAuth2 to authenticate user, no need for username/password: [bd] API Consumer.