[FreddysHouse] Bounced Email

[FreddysHouse] Bounced Email 0.1.6

No permission to download
@SheepCow

do not waste your time with different kinds of bounces. At the end of the day, it does not matter what the reason of a bounce is. The user si responsible for his email address. Not the webmaster of a forum. I prefer much more to have 10 users less in my usercount on the front page, but do not get blacklisted because of to often sending emails to unvalid email addresses.

Once you cross a certain size / amount of users in your forums, time is the real problem. If you do waste too much time with such minor things like bounced emails because of full mail boxes etc. to make it perfect, you do the wrong job as a site owner ;)

As far as I understood, this addon moves the bounces in a specific usergroup, right? Would it be possible to have an SQL command to change the settings in that usergroup to "Awaiting email confirmation by edit" and then change that usergroup with a second sql query to the original usergroup?

This would solve 2 problems:

1. we have the benefit of this addon with all this PM alerts, disable site mailings etc.
2. the users are marked properly awaiting email confirmation without loosing their usergroup

In the long run though, this should be implemented in this script.

So what do you think about those mysql queries?

Last edited:
just out of curiosity, does this only detect the bounced email for one account at a time? i've installed this, and it appears to be working, but i have for example 12 bounced emails, but when i check the message list using the [tLk] ReadPC plugin (lets you see private messages) i'm only seeing one or maybe two messages being sent telling a user that their email notifications have been disabled.

i've never seen more than 2 pm's sent, so i'm not sure if this is working properly? perhaps it's not detecting my bounced emails correctly?

I'd like to see an update for 1.3 and to include the new user state, Email Invalid (Bounced). That way when they change their email, it will reset them back to normal status. Unless this mod already does that based on the usergroup...which I don't see anything about that in the description. When the user changes emails, does it automatically take them out of the bounced group and add them to the members group??

XenForo 1.3 includes a new user state for Bounced emails.

And yes, when users change email, they either go back automatically to the "valid" state, or they need to re-confirm their email address (if you have email confirmation ON, I don't)

XenForo 1.3 includes a new user state for Bounced emails.

And yes, when users change email, they either go back automatically to the "valid" state, or they need to re-confirm their email address (if you have email confirmation ON, I don't)
I know about the user state in 1.3. Looking at the images in the OP, it shows that the usergroup will change upon bounce. That's what I was referring to... I wanted to see if this mod could include the user state rather than the usergroup.

SheepCow updated [FreddysHouse] Bounced Email with a new update entry:

IMAP, specific bounce statuses and XenForo 1.3 support

This is still an early release - use at your own peril, please do setup a totally separate email account!

This version changes actions the add-on will take to simply change the state of the user to Bouncing emails in XenForo 1.3, or Awaiting confirmation (from edit) in older versions.

The add-on now supports IMAP and POP3, however is a twist of fate I've only tested the IMAP support in this version.

Also, the add-on now supports selecting which...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Curious to know what else changed in this version? Add-on was working for us pre-update using POP3 and adding a user to a specific user group. When we updated and after running some tests, the add-on doesn't update the user state of the user. Credentials look correct and we've tried POP3 and IMAP (as you said, you tested with it) to no avail. Any suggestions or pointers you may be able to provide?

This add-on looks interesting to me however....

.... Instead of changing the user group I would find this more useful if it starts a new conversation with the user that triggered the bounce and explains the bounce reason in easy to understand terms "We detected that your email address you have on file with us bounced. It looks like your mailbox might be full? or Did you change your email but not update your profile? Why not update things and improve your user experience <LINK to cp where users change their email>" Send this message once every x bounces or x days so we don't flood the user (or check if the bounce conversation is still in their inbox. If yes no need to send the same stuff again. If no remind them again.)

By changing the user group I feel the burden to fix the users problem now becomes mine when all I want is to lower the email bounces and give my user a better experience so they can reset their passwords when lost and get all the xenforo notices. If they update their email address great. If not just another bounce message in my forums inbox that no human ever reads anyways.

Curious to know what else changed in this version? Add-on was working for us pre-update using POP3 and adding a user to a specific user group. When we updated and after running some tests, the add-on doesn't update the user state of the user. Credentials look correct and we've tried POP3 and IMAP (as you said, you tested with it) to no avail. Any suggestions or pointers you may be able to provide?

Can you install the [FreddysHouse] Logger add-on, it'll hopefully log something useful as to why it's not working.

This add-on looks interesting to me however....

.... Instead of changing the user group I would find this more useful if it starts a new conversation with the user that triggered the bounce and explains the bounce reason in easy to understand terms "We detected that your email address you have on file with us bounced. It looks like your mailbox might be full? or Did you change your email but not update your profile? Why not update things and improve your user experience <LINK to cp where users change their email>" Send this message once every x bounces or x days so we don't flood the user (or check if the bounce conversation is still in their inbox. If yes no need to send the same stuff again. If no remind them again.)

By changing the user group I feel the burden to fix the users problem now becomes mine when all I want is to lower the email bounces and give my user a better experience so they can reset their passwords when lost and get all the xenforo notices. If they update their email address great. If not just another bounce message in my forums inbox that no human ever reads anyways.

The add-on no longer supports conversations / changing user groups - it now changes the user's state to Email invalid (bounced) (in XF 1.3+). You can use this as a criteria for things like notices so you can let your user's know their email address isn't working. Once they reconfirm their address XenForo will move them back to the Valid state.

edit: in fact XF will automatically display the notice so you don't even need to add one!

Can you install the [FreddysHouse] Logger add-on, it'll hopefully log something useful as to why it's not working.
7rKfC4V.png

Clicking in to these log messages just shows empty arrays so this leads me to believe it may be something related to the connection to the email account?

Clicking in to these log messages just shows empty arrays so this leads me to believe it may be something related to the connection to the email account?

It's connected ok and found 1 new message, however it doesn't believe it's a bounce. Can you PM me the content of the email (including headers). It used to be very fast & loose at identifying bounces, it's much more stringent now

It's connected ok and found 1 new message, however it doesn't believe it's a bounce. Can you PM me the content of the email (including headers). It used to be very fast & loose at identifying bounces, it's much more stringent now
Done. :)

Top Bottom