[FreddysHouse] Bounced Email

[FreddysHouse] Bounced Email 0.1.6

No permission to download

SheepCow

SheepCow submitted a new resource:

[FreddysHouse] Bounced Email - Who said email delivery reports were useless ...

This is an early release, it may delete all your emails - you've been warned!

This add-on allows XenForo to monitor your community's email address for bounced emails - it can then take action against users that don't have valid email addresses.

If a bounced email is detected from one your community members it can:
  • Optionally, add the user to a specified group.
  • Optionally, will not change anything for moderators, administrators or staff.
  • Set...

Read more about this resource...

Could you please share which header texts or codes lead to defining a bounce message?

Through the usergroup setting we can block users from participating and show them a notice to fix their account. But what seems to be missing is a way to guide users trough that process and to let them reactivate their account. Please consider to add such functionality. It will be most useful and safe admins & staff from a mass of support requests.

We have built something similar for vbulletin. Here are the adminCP screenshots for your inspiration:

bounce processor1.webp
bouncedpreocessor2.webp
bounced processor3.webp
bounce processor4.webp

Last edited:
This seems like a great add-on but i think i am going to wait until the bug you have mentioned has been fixed before instilling it :) keep up the good work

@SheepCow one suggestion, could you maybe phrase the conversation text so that the user receives the messages in their selected language?

Also, would it be possible to add the user into "awaiting e-mail confirmation" mode?

Also, would it be possible to add the user into "awaiting e-mail confirmation" mode?
I don't think thats a good idea as that has undesired / unexpected effects. XenForo considers members awaiting email confirmation not as members and therefore all kinds of permissions are limited. It will also lower your member count significantly and prevent your members from fixing up their account.

You do not want to mix failed registrations that you should best delete with valuable members who you want to keep. I have made that mistake and I would advise against it.
Members awaiting email validation need to be sent a few reminders and if no validation occurs, then the accounts should be deleted. They should not get much access to the site.
Members with bouncing email should not get any reminders or email at all. They should get access to the site and receive on site messages / instructions about how to fix up their account.
Its two very different situations.

A function that would be very nice to have is reactivation of accounts by social networks like Facebook Authentication. This could provide a one click reactivation of deactivated accounts. It could use the XenForo Facebook connect and this addon:
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/social-network-authentication-twitter-google-vk-com.645/

Last edited:
SheepCow updated [FreddysHouse] Bounced Email with a new update entry:

Various improvements

This version deals with some of the feedback received so far:

• The conversation title and body are now phrases and the correct language for the user is chosen. The phrases are FHBouncedEmail_conversation_title and FHBouncedEmail_conversation_body (@yavuz).
  • If "Send bounced conversation from" is a real user, the user will automatically leave the conversation (so it doesn't fill up their conversations list)....

Read the rest of this update entry...

Could you please share which header texts or codes lead to defining a bounce message?

I've added that info to the FAQ tab.

Through the usergroup setting we can block users from participating and show them a notice to fix their account. But what seems to be missing is a way to guide users trough that process and to let them reactivate their account. Please consider to add such functionality. It will be most useful and safe admins & staff from a mass of support requests.

Hopefully the conversation sent to the user is more obvious now, remember you can always customise it to say what ever you like.

I've left this out for now, could add it as an option - however, they won't really be awaiting confirmation since there isn't a valid email address to confirm.

Can you explain how you could use something like this to "correct" your whole userbase?

Example: one of my communities has 30,000 members. Many of them will be from years ago and will have dead emails. If I install this right now though, how will I detect who these members are? Meaning xenforo would have probably already stopped sending them notification emails etc long ago, right?

I've added that info to the FAQ tab.

Hopefully the conversation sent to the user is more obvious now, remember you can always customise it to say what ever you like.

I've left this out for now, could add it as an option - however, they won't really be awaiting confirmation since there isn't a valid email address to confirm.

Currently the way I handle it by putting the user into moderation (awaiting e-mail confirmation). The user can't see the content until they have a valid - confirmed e-mail account. I created notes where I encourage the user to change their e-mail adress... There is also an addon which originally xfrocks created and waindigo took over, First Click Free by Waindigo, which hides all content until the user account has a valid - confirmed e-mail adress.

Looks brilliant, thanks!
I already have 'Bounced Email Address' within /admin.php?options/list/emailOptions set to bounces@domain.com, so I should just need to point the add-on to the logon credentials for bounces@domain.com and I'm good to go.
Does this add-on also deleted the email when it download/retrieves it via POP3, or does it leave it in the inbox? Or even better, it moves it to an 'actioned'/'archived' folder after downloading?

Thanks.

Can you explain how you could use something like this to "correct" your whole userbase?

Short answer, it won't. Longer answer, XenForo will still be sending them emails so it'll probably notice them anyway.

Does this add-on also deleted the email when it download/retrieves it via POP3, or does it leave it in the inbox? Or even better, it moves it to an 'actioned'/'archived' folder after downloading?

Currently it'll just delete the bounces.

I'm getting this error when I try upgrating:

Code:
Mysqli statement execute error : Duplicate column name 'email_is_bouncing'

Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli->_execute() in Zend/Db/Statement.php at line 297
    Zend_Db_Statement->execute() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php at line 479
    Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->query() in FreddysHouse/MailBounce/Install.php at line 17
    FreddysHouse_MailBounce_Install::install()
    call_user_func() in XenForo/Model/AddOn.php at line 215
    XenForo_Model_AddOn->installAddOnXml() in Waindigo/InstallUpgrade/Extend/XenForo/Model/AddOn.php at line 66
    Waindigo_InstallUpgrade_Extend_XenForo_Model_AddOn->installAddOnXml() in XenForo/Model/AddOn.php at line 169
    XenForo_Model_AddOn->installAddOnXmlFromFile() in Waindigo/InstallUpgrade/Extend/XenForo/Model/AddOn.php at line 44
    Waindigo_InstallUpgrade_Extend_XenForo_Model_AddOn->installAddOnXmlFromFile() in XenForo/ControllerAdmin/AddOn.php at line 231
    XenForo_ControllerAdmin_AddOn->actionUpgrade() in Waindigo/InstallUpgrade/Extend/XenForo/ControllerAdmin/AddOn.php at line 68
    Waindigo_InstallUpgrade_Extend_XenForo_ControllerAdmin_AddOn->actionUpgrade() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 347
    XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 134
    XenForo_FrontController->run() in /home/user/public_html/admin.php at line 13

My forum times out when I try upgrading... Does it have anything to do with the addon?

Code:
Mysqli statement execute error : Lock wait timeout exceeded; try restarting transaction

Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli->_execute() in Zend/Db/Statement.php at line 297
    Zend_Db_Statement->execute() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php at line 479
    Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->query() in XenForo/Model/Deferred.php at line 111
    XenForo_Model_Deferred->defer() in XenForo/Application.php at line 1311
    XenForo_Application::defer() in XenForo/Model/Deferred.php at line 296
    XenForo_Model_Deferred->runDeferred() in XenForo/Model/Deferred.php at line 378
    XenForo_Model_Deferred->_runInternal() in XenForo/Model/Deferred.php at line 331
    XenForo_Model_Deferred->run() in XenForo/ControllerAdmin/Tools.php at line 147
    XenForo_ControllerAdmin_Tools->actionRunDeferred() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 347
    XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 134
    XenForo_FrontController->run() in /home/user/public_html/admin.php at line 13

Hmm, the add-on doesn't use any of the deferred stuff - that's probably during template rebuild?

Yes, I made a clean install but it times out on every attempt. I checked the addon it seems to be installed but when I go over the options section the mail settings field is not visible and phrases show up messed up.

In future it will support 3rd party services like Mandrill?
I know that there's "[bd] mails" but "[FreddysHouse] Bounced Email" is going to have more options!

Top Bottom