XF 1.3 EXIF Rotation, ACP Searching, Proxying and Change Logging

Here are a handful of new 1.3 features neatly packaged up into a single video for your viewing entertainment...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View on Vimeo

Update, Jan 15 - Case Sensitivity 101

There have been various questions about what case sensitive searching means in the video...

In a nutshell, without case sensitivity, searching for 'Foo' would return all results containing any combination of uppercase and lowercase letters spelling 'foo', such as 'foo', 'fOo', 'foO' and 'Foo'.

However, with case sensitivity enabled, searching for 'Foo' would only return results that contain exactly 'Foo', while other combinations of uppercase and lowercase letters would be ignored.

Last edited:
User changes log:
  1. How long will the log in the database?
  2. Is it possible to remove it, if necessary?

Salud2
As with most of the other logging tools, the retention period is configurable.

Will there be an option to update the rotation of existing pictures during the upgrade process or later with a maintenance tool.
Not by default - nothing to say an add-on couldn't do it now though. (If the image has been resized, the exif data has likely been lost anyway.)

I'm worried that the image proxy feature may be abused due to accepting a URL argument.

Have any considerations been made for preventing attacks such as trying to consume all of a sites storage, bandwidth, or CPU by connecting to the proxy URL with lots of large/varying images? The video made it appear to essentially be an open proxy that handles images over the web, so I suppose we may need to wait for the new version to see how this is abused... But in general, open proxies don't work out so well and it's best to restrict them to authorized users, or in this case, only have it work with links/images posted in the forum.

Great additions, the image rotation will be happily received by our users. One question, will rotation work with both GD and ImageMagick?

Thanks

Another great set of additions, thanks KAM.

I agree with a lot of Adam's suggestions too:

* I hope this tracks images and links in conversations as well - they are a magnet for spamming other sites (we now only offer PMs to our supporting members because of this)
* Can we have it to proxy just links as an option as well please?
* Can we also have a page that lists the latest images or links for mods?
** or how about a page that lists all threads (or posts) that have had an image posted? (So the community can quickly see latest photos)
* How about a script that, when a user is banned, all of their posted images get cached permanently - as this is the point at which many of them change the image to something else (usually spamming another site)

Also, this might be a completely separate use, but what about an option that doesn't actually proxy anything but just records latest photos and links posted - handy for mods, and can also be used for thread data (like I am doing on GS).

Last edited:
Funny seeing Kier going over filtering down the user change log... typing in his name... and waiting for the AutoComplete system to auto submit... then realizing he doesn't have auto submit turned on, and feeling stupid as he clicks the button.

The only alteration I would like to see is an option to "move" images from the proxy system to my data/internal data folders as attachments, just as a way of cleaning up realy. If it could "import" external images as attachments automatically would be an even bigger bonus.

Top Bottom