1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.3 How to enable EXIF Rotation?

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by CarlosMST, Apr 7, 2014.

1. CarlosMST

CarlosMST Member

Hello.
    When I upload images of rotated faces, they are not rotating automatically, only maintain their orientation.
    I'm trying to search an Option for Enable EXIF Rotation in the ACP, but not found any.
    Is possible to enable/disable this function?
    What are the requirements?
    Is necessary a diferent Image Processor like ImageMagick PECL Extension?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

3. CarlosMST

CarlosMST Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  4. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

Do those photos have EXIF info stripped. I didn't see any on the one I downloaded.

5. CarlosMST

CarlosMST Member

@Tracy Perry I downloaded this photos from Internet, and then I edited to rotate for testing The Auto-rotation support.
    Sorry, don't think I'm making this post to annoy, maybe I'm ignoring something that I don't know.
    I thought to EXIF Rotation is a function that automatically rotate any pictures in JPG by Facial Recognition, but according to what you say I think I'm totally wrong.
    Please could you explain me a little of EXIF Rotation? Which types of images support that?
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  6. Tracy Perry

I don't believe that GD or ImageMagick does facial recognition. :)
    When a camera takes a photo, it typically attaches information to it that shows what kind of camera, the f-stop, the image orientation and other info (see here). The rotation aspects (from what I understand) use the EXIF data to orientate the image correctly (you see this frequently with photos from an iPhone that were taken with the volume buttons pointed up to take it and then display it on a Windows computer it will be upside down).

CarlosMST likes this.
  7. CarlosMST

CarlosMST Member

:)

Sorry, now I known what I'm totally wrong.
    I searched additional information about EXIF:

Apparently this only works in a sequence of images, not with only one photo, because there wouldn't where to exchange information between photos. I thought the pictures of Iphone kept information from the accelerometer, but that is not correct.

Thanks for your time, at least for today I learned something new.
    Good Bye.

8. Tracy Perry

It should work with one photo also.
    The below image shows upside down on my Windows computer when I display it. When I upload it here it should orientate right side up.
    image.jpg

9. CarlosMST

CarlosMST Member

Then also works with a single image? Cool!

But why when I download the Image you attached, and view with Photoshop, EXIF Info is missing?

This is the link to your attached photo: http://xenforo.com/community/attachments/image-jpg.71274/

Apparently the server strip this Info after rotate the image?

10. Tracy Perry

A lot of sites will strip the exif information from it upon conversion. Some don't.