[DigitalPoint] Better Google Analytics

[DigitalPoint] Better Google Analytics 1.0.10

No permission to download
I don't personally know of anything, but I also haven't looked for something like that. I'd imagine there's probably a tool out there that lets you embed Google Analytics data on a website via API calls because it definitely could be done from a technical standpoint. I'd probably Google around for it... it's not going to be anything specific to XenForo, so just look for a tool that lets you embed Google Analytics reports on a webpage.

Reactions: Dkf
If you select a different event as a conversion just to test, do those show up? Just wondering if it’s an issue with just the sign_up event or their whole conversion report.
Purchase does seem to work fine. It's a greyed out switch on for "Mark as conversion" which I am not 100% sure why. Maybe it's the default? Either way, it seems to work fine with the report.

Admin -> Conversions shows:

1686786353256.png

purchase seems to have the correct number for count and value (blurred). sign_up does not.

To be clear, none of the others have the correct value (they're custom conversion events that I created from the ones I used to have on UA). Purchase works but that's it.

Looks like it might be a known issue with GA4:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Amazing that GA4 has these issues and Google is still forcing us to it.
Agreed. Currently the shut off date for Universal Analytics is July 1, however I bet they are going to extend it considering that there are more than 42% of sites using Google Analytics that are NOT using Google Analytics 4 yet. That's a pretty significant number of sites (tens of millions) that will have broken analytics come July 1.

Should I leave this field blank?

View attachment 287299
It's not used if you are using the addon (the addon has it's own page of options). It doesn't hurt to put something there... but again, it's just not used one way or the other.

I did consider simply using the existing setting XenForo has for Google Analytics, but ended up deciding against it because of the "fancy" stuff the addon does with that particular option:
  • In GA4, it's called a measurement ID, so XenForo calling it a web property still (what it was called in old versions) has the potential to be confusing
  • Wanted it to be read-only (the addon gets it via API calls) to eliminate the potential for data-entry errors from a human
  • Wanted to be able to format that option differently to include the button to link to your Google Analytics account via API and have an API secret
That's the reasoning if you care... :)

Reactions: Dkf
Did I disable a setting when I activated this, my GA4 data goes to 0.
Try disabling the option to host the JavaScript on your own domain (if you have that enabled)?

If your server is misconfigured, that could cause data to not flow (a misconfiguration would cause your site to have no Google Analytics JavaScript).

Try disabling the option to host the JavaScript on your own domain (if you have that enabled)?

If your server is misconfigured, that could cause data to not flow (a misconfiguration would cause your site to have no Google Analytics JavaScript).
Thanks, I'm going to try that, as prior to enabling this I was getting data.

A quick test to see if it's a server issue would be to look at the URL:

If you get a error generated by your web server, it's setup to intercept the request and not pass it along to XenForo (a bad thing) and the only way to fix that would be to talk to your server admin.

If the web server is properly passing the request along to the application (as it should), but you get an error at that point, I could probably help if you tell what the error is.

You could then test the same URL without the .js extension and see if it gets routed by the web server to XenForo (or not) based on the extension:

It's not uncommon for someone to configure a web server to do something purely based on the file extension (for example adding Cache-Control headers for .js files), but the right way to do it would be to check if the file actually exists in the file system before treating it as a static file in the file system. Doing something based on the extension, but doing it blindly and not checking if it actually exists, is where the problem could be.

For example, xenforo.com's web server is properly configured to pass the request along to the application. It does get an error, but that's because it doesn't have the Better Analytics addon installed:

Last edited:
It would be great, if debug mode could be enabled only for the Admin User Group in case of debugging on the live website.

@digitalpoint our GA4 setup is working fine, but some clarification on the setup would be appreciated.
Does the Measurement ID supplied at the top of the Analytics admin page
/admin.php?options/groups/analytics/
make the Google Analytics web property ID supplied near the bottom of the SEO admin page
/admin.php?options/groups/seo/
redundant?

and if not, why does the property ID in Xenforo have a G- prefix?

Thanks

I would comment about slow updates... but I won't go down that stone strewn path. ;)
I know that my "old" GA identity was blown out by the this add-on when I installed it and I had to start over again on my data
Was not that big of a deal for me as I run my site as a hobby and don't worry about how many daily visitors I have, how many new users sign up or how much my ads "pay" me (since I don't use them).

@digitalpoint our GA4 setup is working fine, but some clarification on the setup would be appreciated.
Does the Measurement ID supplied at the top of the Analytics admin page
/admin.php?options/groups/analytics/
make the Google Analytics web property ID supplied near the bottom of the SEO admin page
/admin.php?options/groups/seo/
redundant?

Thanks
Ya, the default XenForo web property option isn’t used. So it’s not redundant so much as simply unused if you use this addon. There was some logic about why I didn’t reuse the setting that’s already in XenForo that you can see a couple posts back:

I would comment about slow updates... but I won't go down that stone strewn path. ;)
I know that my "old" GA identity was blown out by the this add-on when I installed it and I had to start over again on my data
Was not that big of a deal for me as I run my site as a hobby and don't worry about how many daily visitors I have, how many new users sign up or how much my ads "pay" me (since I don't use them).
Hmmm… it shouldn’t have broken any previous web properly as long as it was a GA4 property starting with G- (Universal Analytics properties that start with UA- are a completely different thing and are scheduled to go away on Google’s side this weekend). This addon is GA4 only because UA was deprecated and scheduled to be shut down. Didn’t see a point trying to support two different versions of GA when everyone has to migrate to GA4 in short order whether they liked it or not.

Looking at the GA4 report on events - whats the difference between "View" and "page_view" and also "Click" (capital C) and "click".

View and page_view run at nearly the same number, but Click and click are off by thousands!

Looking at the GA4 report on events - whats the difference between "View" and "page_view" and also "Click" (capital C) and "click".

View and page_view run at nearly the same number, but Click and click are off by thousands!
My guess is you have something else (besides this addon) reporting events. This addon does not report a View or Click event (ever). It uses page_view and click only.

Shouldn't be too hard to figure out what is doing it if you can catch one of the events being sent with browser dev tools. You should be able to see the initiator of the request there.

My guess is you have something else (besides this addon) reporting events. This addon does not report a View or Click event (ever). It uses page_view and click only.

Shouldn't be too hard to figure out what is doing it if you can catch one of the events being sent with browser dev tools. You should be able to see the initiator of the request there.
I wonder if it's AdThrive/Raptive doing that, as I don't have anything else GA related installed.

Well it's ok, I'll just ignore them then and stick to all the lower case tags :)

Top Bottom