[DigitalPoint] Better Google Analytics

[DigitalPoint] Better Google Analytics 1.0.10

No permission to download
Yes. What "event" would it show on the Analytics side? As I'm seeing "login" and no "registration" on my other site which has been in use for a while. It would be nice, if not already available, to separate "login" and "registration" for tracking events. Registration gives us new user analytics.

Where exactly are you looking for the event? The event you are looking for is “sign_up”. GA4 is for tracking more than just websites (also apps and other things), so some of the terms are more universally generic. But “sign_up” is what you are looking for.

I don't have a sign_up event and maybe I need to wait longer since I created this new GA4 account. See attached.

I'll wait longer and report back. I do see it in the former GA4 property I used.

Attachments

• events.webp
    events.webp
    46.2 KB · Views: 11
Ya maybe wait a day or two after the property was created and see. Not sure why other events would be different but maybe it is somehow. 🤷🏻‍♂️

It's probably also worth looking at if you are doing something "non-standard" during the registration process. Specifically the sign_up event is added to the register_complete template, so if you aren't using that template because of some other addon or process you have, or have overwritten it (or simply don't show it to the user for whatever reason), the sign_up event won't show.

No, but I'll check it. This site is the same setup as my other. I was concerned maybe my Cloudflare cache had the old GA4/TAG so I purged cache and will continue to monitor for now. The new site is https://flightinfo.com

@digitalpoint I figured I'd check the newUsers in the admin reporting and I got this error:

InvalidArgumentException: Please remove newUsers to make the request compatible. The request's dimensions & metrics are incompatible. To learn more, see https://ga-dev-tools.web.app/ga4/dimensions-metrics-explorer/ in src/addons/DigitalPoint/Analytics/GoogleApi/AbstractApi.php at line 31
  1. DigitalPoint\Analytics\GoogleApi\AbstractApi->makeApiCall() in src/addons/DigitalPoint/Analytics/GoogleApi/Data.php at line 15
  2. DigitalPoint\Analytics\GoogleApi\Data->runReport() in src/addons/DigitalPoint/Analytics/Repository/Reporting.php at line 159
  3. DigitalPoint\Analytics\Repository\Reporting->runReport() in src/addons/DigitalPoint/Analytics/Repository/Reporting.php at line 284
  4. DigitalPoint\Analytics\Repository\Reporting->getChart() in src/addons/DigitalPoint/Analytics/Admin/Controller/Analytics.php at line 86
  5. DigitalPoint\Analytics\Admin\Controller\Analytics->actionCharts() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 352
  6. XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchClass() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 259
  7. XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchFromMatch() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 115
  8. XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchLoop() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 57
  9. XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run() in src/XF/App.php at line 2483
  10. XF\App->run() in src/XF.php at line 524
  11. XF::runApp() in admin.php at line 13
InvalidArgumentException: Please remove signedInWithUserId to make the request compatible. The request's dimensions & metrics are incompatible. To learn more, see https://ga-dev-tools.web.app/ga4/dimensions-metrics-explorer/ in src/addons/DigitalPoint/Analytics/GoogleApi/AbstractApi.php at line 31
  1. DigitalPoint\Analytics\GoogleApi\AbstractApi->makeApiCall() in src/addons/DigitalPoint/Analytics/GoogleApi/Data.php at line 15
  2. DigitalPoint\Analytics\GoogleApi\Data->runReport() in src/addons/DigitalPoint/Analytics/Repository/Reporting.php at line 159
  3. DigitalPoint\Analytics\Repository\Reporting->runReport() in src/addons/DigitalPoint/Analytics/Repository/Reporting.php at line 284
  4. DigitalPoint\Analytics\Repository\Reporting->getChart() in src/addons/DigitalPoint/Analytics/Admin/Controller/Analytics.php at line 86
  5. DigitalPoint\Analytics\Admin\Controller\Analytics->actionCharts() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 352
  6. XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchClass() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 259
  7. XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchFromMatch() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 115
  8. XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchLoop() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 57
  9. XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run() in src/XF/App.php at line 2483
  10. XF\App->run() in src/XF.php at line 524
  11. XF::runApp() in admin.php at line 13

It's been worked around for the next version already... the issue is you are trying to view it just for a specific URI. Go into the reporting from the admin area, not a public page (entering from public page only shows reporting for that one page you entered from).

I am doing this from the Admin home page.
You navigated to that page starting at the Admin index? The error really looks like you navigated to that reporting page starting from a public page (if you clicked the chart icon in the moderator bar, that's the wrong thing to do... because that's reporting ONLY for that page, not the site). The icon in the moderator bar is not simply a shortcut to something in the admin area because I thought people care so much about reporting they can't use the normal admin navigation (it's reporting specifically for the page you clicked it from).

Additionally, newUsers has nothing to do with the sign_up event. You can see what metrics/dimensions are what over here:

I must have driven to it from the home page top right analytics icon.
Right, that's not what you want to do if you want to see reports for your site. The ONLY use of that icon is if you are trying to get analytics report including just data for the page you clicked it from (and nothing else).

If you had goals setup for your old UA, I’d just continue with those. Conversions are going to be unique to your business/site and whatever you consider important. There’s some info here for migrating from goals to conversions, but you are effectively asking others what you should consider important in your website (only you can answer that):

If you are wanting to break down GA reporting by user groups, use it. Otherwise you don’t need it.

If you don’t want Google to store your sites analytics data (which will include certain things like page titles), you don’t want to use this addon. There’s no way around that as it’s a Google product, so they store the underlying data for you.
I'm not worried about page titles. its the page content, media files and attachments that are sensitive. We don't want our content appearing in Google searches.
Are we able to prevent GA from seeing / storing that content?

It never gets sent to Google at least not with analytics. So if Google has that content, it’s not because of Google Analytics.

I got this error:

Code:
Error: Call to a member function getBody() on null src/addons/DigitalPoint/Analytics/Repository/JavaScript.php:53

Stack-Trace
#0 src/addons/DigitalPoint/Analytics/Cron/CleanUp.php(24): DigitalPoint\Analytics\Repository\JavaScript->getFile('gtm', true)
#1 src/XF/Job/Cron.php(37): DigitalPoint\Analytics\Cron\CleanUp::runHourlyCleanUp(Object(XF\Entity\CronEntry))
#2 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(260): XF\Job\Cron->run(8)
#3 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(202): XF\Job\Manager->runJobInternal(Array, 8)
#4 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(86): XF\Job\Manager->runJobEntry(Array, 8)
#5 job.php(43): XF\Job\Manager->runQueue(false, 8)
#6 {main}

Code:
ErrorException: cURL error 28: Connection timeout after 3000 ms (see https://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/c/libcurl-errors.html) src/XF/Error.php:77

Stack-Trace
#0 src/XF.php(219): XF\Error->logError('cURL error 28: ...', false)
#1 src/addons/DigitalPoint/Analytics/Repository/JavaScript.php(50): XF::logError('cURL error 28: ...')
#2 src/addons/DigitalPoint/Analytics/Cron/CleanUp.php(24): DigitalPoint\Analytics\Repository\JavaScript->getFile('gtm', true)
#3 src/XF/Job/Cron.php(37): DigitalPoint\Analytics\Cron\CleanUp::runHourlyCleanUp(Object(XF\Entity\CronEntry))
#4 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(260): XF\Job\Cron->run(8)
#5 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(202): XF\Job\Manager->runJobInternal(Array, 8)
#6 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(86): XF\Job\Manager->runJobEntry(Array, 8)
#7 job.php(43): XF\Job\Manager->runQueue(false, 8)
#8 {main}

What does that mean?

It means your server was unable to connect to Google's server after trying for 3 seconds. Is it something you are getting more than once (probably would be hourly)? If it was just a one-time thing, most likely your server had some sort of network connectivity issue when it happened and it would automatically stop happening if the network connectivity was fixed.

Top Bottom