[DigitalPoint] Better Google Analytics

[DigitalPoint] Better Google Analytics 1.0.10

No permission to download
  • Error: Call to a member function getBody() on null
  • src/addons/DigitalPoint/Analytics/Repository/JavaScript.php:53

#0 src/addons/DigitalPoint/Analytics/Cron/CleanUp.php(24): DigitalPoint\Analytics\Repository\JavaScript->getFile('gtm', true)
#1 src/XF/Job/Cron.php(37): DigitalPoint\Analytics\Cron\CleanUp::runHourlyCleanUp(Object(XF\Entity\CronEntry))
#2 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(260): XF\Job\Cron->run(8)
#3 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(202): XF\Job\Manager->runJobInternal(Array, 8)
#4 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(86): XF\Job\Manager->runJobEntry(Array, 8)
#5 job.php(43): XF\Job\Manager->runQueue(false, 8)
#6 {main}

0 src/XF.php(219): XF\Error->logError('cURL error 28: ...', false)
#1 src/addons/DigitalPoint/Analytics/Repository/JavaScript.php(50): XF::logError('cURL error 28: ...')
#2 src/addons/DigitalPoint/Analytics/Cron/CleanUp.php(24): DigitalPoint\Analytics\Repository\JavaScript->getFile('gtm', true)
#3 src/XF/Job/Cron.php(37): DigitalPoint\Analytics\Cron\CleanUp::runHourlyCleanUp(Object(XF\Entity\CronEntry))
#4 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(260): XF\Job\Cron->run(8)
#5 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(202): XF\Job\Manager->runJobInternal(Array, 8)
#6 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(86): XF\Job\Manager->runJobEntry(Array, 8)
#7 job.php(43): XF\Job\Manager->runQueue(false, 8)
#8 {main}

That’s a network connectivity issue between your server and Google. If it’s not still happening, it worked itself out. If it is still happening and you get that error consistently every hour, I’d contact your host to help you figure it out.

That’s a network connectivity issue between your server and Google. If it’s not still happening, it worked itself out. If it is still happening and you get that error consistently every hour, I’d contact your host to help you figure it out.

i am the host. Anyways, I believe its my proxy server i'm using outside of my network. They are having "issues". I've migrated it to OVH cloud to compensate.

if your site uses Cloudflare, you may want to look at using Cloudflare Workers as a proxy. It’s exactly what my Cloudflare addon does for image proxy and unfurl requests. Could do something along the same lines for other proxy requests if you wanted. With 300+ data centers and a zillion servers all running your same Worker script, it’s really solid as far as reliability goes. Just an idea… 🤷🏻‍♂️

if your site uses Cloudflare, you may want to look at using Cloudflare Workers as a proxy. It’s exactly what my Cloudflare addon does for image proxy and unfurl requests. Could do something along the same lines for other proxy requests if you wanted. With 300+ data centers and a zillion servers all running your same Worker script, it’s really solid as far as reliability goes. Just an idea… 🤷🏻‍♂️
I'm sponsored by Imperva but I will check over that too.

Whatever works… as long as it’s reliable and has redundancy/failover. If the proxy is a single server or even multiple servers in a single data center, it’s going to be an issue anytime there’s a network issue with routes to that data center or if that proxy server is rebooted or something.

Whatever works… as long as it’s reliable and has redundancy/failover. If the proxy is a single server or even multiple servers in a single data center, it’s going to be an issue anytime there’s a network issue with routes to that data center or if that proxy server is rebooted or something.
Yep, just migrated from vB after 20 years so.. learning curve, atm.

I removed this one and I'm using yours now, @digitalpoint. Today is also the day I started with GA-4. So, from my understanding, you can't migrate historical data from UA into GA-4, right? If that is the case, I'll have no data to look at through this add-on for the time being, right? Or is there some workaround where I can migrate my old data into GA-4 so I can see it through this add-on today?

Would make sense to use one addon as you don’t want to report stuff twice. As far as migrating UA to GA4, Google doesn’t have such a thing, otherwise they would have it as a function themselves. No way around it… UA is being turned off in a couple months so have to cut at some point.

Would make sense to use one addon as you don’t want to report stuff twice. As far as migrating UA to GA4, Google doesn’t have such a thing, otherwise they would have it as a function themselves. No way around it… UA is being turned off in a couple months so have to cut at some point.
This seems... dumb and frustrating especially for sites that rely on this stuff for a business, no? I'm just a little dude with a little non-monetized hobby website and I'm bummed to not be able to migrate the data. So I can imagine the uproar when GA4 was announced with no migrating? (Not to derail your thread - thank you for the awesome add-on.)

This seems... dumb and frustrating especially for sites that rely on this stuff for a business, no? I'm just a little dude with a little non-monetized hobby website and I'm bummed to not be able to migrate the data. So I can imagine the uproar when GA4 was announced with no migrating? (Not to derail your thread - thank you for the awesome add-on.)
Ya, I don't disagree on the migration thing. I suspect at least one (big) part of it is the privacy issues in this day and age with GDPR and other similar laws. You'll notice GA4 has a historical data retention that can be set between 2 and 14 months (like you can't even compare the current year to the previous year fully):

Where UA retained data from the beginning of time. So even if Google had a migration tool, it's kind of moot anyway because anything older than 14 months would be purged right out of the gate... and 14 months from the time you migrated, all the migrated data would be gone anyway. Also probably part of the reason Google is shutting down UA, too much non-private data they are storing from years back. So ya... thank the new privacy laws (probably) that don't allow things like analytics data to be legally retained beyond a certain period of time.

I'm reviving an older site and just relaunched it and it had this add-on installed. Now I'm setting up advertising and improving the analytics integration as well (GA4). I don't see a "sign up" conversion on the Google Analytics side like I do with my other site using this add-on. How can I get your add-on to re-setup conversions available to track?

What "conversions" are recommended and if any how do you set them up in GA4 Analytics?

I'm not clear on the "User groups to track" and how this works, is it needed, etc. I added ALL of my groups, what is the right way to use this?

Can I ask a basic question on this please?
Our XF2 forum is "members only" access and contains sensitive archive information that our members do not agree to be in the public domain (ie not accessible to be crawled by bots or Google for example).
Can this analytics method track our members activity once they have logged in? But without giving google or anyone else access to the sensitive content of our forum?
Many thanks,
Mike

What "conversions" are recommended and if any how do you set them up in GA4 Analytics?
If you had goals setup for your old UA, I’d just continue with those. Conversions are going to be unique to your business/site and whatever you consider important. There’s some info here for migrating from goals to conversions, but you are effectively asking others what you should consider important in your website (only you can answer that):

I'm not clear on the "User groups to track" and how this works, is it needed, etc. I added ALL of my groups, what is the right way to use this?
If you are wanting to break down GA reporting by user groups, use it. Otherwise you don’t need it.

Can I ask a basic question on this please?
Our XF2 forum is "members only" access and contains sensitive archive information that our members do not agree to be in the public domain (ie not accessible to be crawled by bots or Google for example).
Can this analytics method track our members activity once they have logged in? But without giving google or anyone else access to the sensitive content of our forum?
Many thanks,
Mike
If you don’t want Google to store your sites analytics data (which will include certain things like page titles), you don’t want to use this addon. There’s no way around that as it’s a Google product, so they store the underlying data for you.

I can't remember how I had a "sign_up" conversion created and think it's a valid one to have. I'm setting up a new site and trying to figure out how to add it. But wouldn't this be a good event for your add on to create and track? If not already and I'm missing it? user registrations?

Top Bottom