[DigitalPoint] Better Google Analytics

[DigitalPoint] Better Google Analytics 1.0.10

No permission to download
Would make sense that it was an ad platform… maybe they are reporting ad views and clicks? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Annoying they would be feeding into your Google Analytics without asking though. But technically any JS could.

Would make sense that it was an ad platform… maybe they are reporting ad views and clicks? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Annoying they would be feeding into your Google Analytics without asking though. But technically any JS could.
They got back to me and said nope, it's not them.

Do you know what would I need to check for in Dev tools to find the action and I'll give it a whirl.

Just look in devtools under the Network tab... filter it down to just requests containing "analytics". This page for example it filters it down to this:

1688580254395.webp

You could also just search for "Click" to find the request. Drilling down on them, you can see the initiator, so I can see that it was the JavaScript from googletagmanager.com that caused it...

1688580418413.webp

Might make sense for them to have it be optional. It also probably makes sense to use better event names. There's a whole bunch of "standard" ad events depending on what they are trying to track. For example:
  • ad_click
  • ad_impression

@digitalpoint As I see that some support threads in your BA support forum are unanswered, I'm shamelessly posting it here too.
I'm not sure what Im doing wrong. if anything.

@digitalpoint As I see that some support threads in your BA support forum are unanswered, I'm shamelessly posting it here too.
I'm not sure what Im doing wrong. if anything.
It’s not for GA4, no.

Well, I can stop running around in circles then. :D
Are you planing to release a version that supports GA4?

Oh, that's too bad. Your plugin is awesome. Especially the monitoring functionality. I have bought the pro version and its well worth the money.
GA no longer allows UA views to be added, so no new websites on AU. Is there any way to activate the monitoring without having a GA UA profile?

The issue is it’s a whole different thing. So it’s not quite as easy as just letting people plop in a GA4 property. I should have been more specific earlier… while there aren’t any immediate plans to rebuild the WordPress Analytics version for GA4, maybe someday. But it’s not being worked on and no timeframe. So if it’s something you want, the best thing to do is find something that does what you want now, because I have no eta on it (and it might be never).

I hate developing for WordPress with all my soul.

That being said, if the WordPress version of my Cloudflare addon works out and enough people pay for the premium version to actually make it worth the effort I spent making it, then the analytics plugin might have a more realistic possibility to me making it for WordPress (again). But at this point I just want to see if the time/effort I spent on the Cloudflare one makes it worth it or not before I commit to another WordPress plug-in (I have zero use for WordPress plugins myself, so for those I need some sort of incentive beyond, “because I need it”).

Well let me tell you this: your plugin has by far been the best tool to identify site issues. I know this was not the main reason for creating it. We tried a bunch of plugins and we were not able to understand what the issues were that users were encountering. Users were not able to describe it. Your issue monitoring functionality are a godsend. This alone is well worth the money.

If you have to torment your entire soul for it, then please know that this small piece of functionality is so golden that its worth releasing on its own: It fills a void that is not offered by any other plugin I found. The alternative is to install overly complex and expensive headaches like datadog, etc. Which are not user friendly, but a science of their own.

Well I don’t necessarily disagree (I don’t try to make stuff that isn’t pretty good.. hah), it’s just an issue of what I mentioned earlier… I don’t use WordPress myself for anything of substance so I don’t personally have a need for it, and WordPress is very painful to develop for. So not only do I not need it myself, but it’s also not fun.

If I somehow had 50 or 100 people willing to pay for it, then it could be worthwhile… but the thought of building it (which like I said it painful) when I have no need for it myself in the hopes that I can find some people to recoup the time/cost of making it just doesn’t sound super fun. Like I said before, if people like the WordPress version of my Cloudflare plugin (which is just waiting for review to be in WordPress.org), then maybe those users could be potential users to market the analytics one to. But I want to first wait and see if it was a waste of my time building that one before I commit to more WordPress stuff.

Well let me tell you this: your plugin has by far been the best tool to identify site issues. I know this was not the main reason for creating it. We tried a bunch of plugins and we were not able to understand what the issues were that users were encountering. Users were not able to describe it. Your issue monitoring functionality are a godsend. This alone is well worth the money.

If you have to torment your entire soul for it, then please know that this small piece of functionality is so golden that its worth releasing on its own: It fills a void that is not offered by any other plugin I found. The alternative is to install overly complex and expensive headaches like datadog, etc. Which are not user friendly, but a science of their own.
I agree. We’re very fortunate with all the work you have done, mostly for free!

If I somehow had 50 or 100 people willing to pay for it, then it could be worthwhile…
I would be highly surprised if that were an issue. You should easily be able to get 1000+ sales. By way of comparison MonsterInsights has 3 MILLION free users and must be doing good with pro sales. It indicates that the demand is there.

One issue I have found with Better Analytics for WP is that its hard to find on the wordpress.org plugin repository. You really have to actively search for it. Consider to add some more tags that rivaling plugins use like 'wordpress analytics'. The review score is 4 stars while most other plugins have 4.5 - 5 stars. These negative reviews are because support requests have gone unanswered here and here. Negative reviews dampens use of the free version to only 5k active installs and therefore sales of the pro version.

On the wordpress.org page you do not describe the best parts of the pro features. That becomes only visible AFTER the potential customer goes to your website. But only the ones who have decided to go for the Pro version will click on the link. If you put the entire description of the pro features on the wordpress.org page then many more of those 5k users will become customers. If you do not advertise why your plugin is great, then you will not get the sales.

3rd thing that IMHO would increase your sales is to let guests buy the addon before registering. You want the buying process to be as frictionless as possible. WP users are alien to XF1. Forcing them to first do forum registration will cut down sales.
I can tell you from experience that if you have something similar to how this abandoned (popular) addon works, then this will increase your sales:

I would be highly surprised if that were an issue. You should easily be able to get 1000+ sales. By way of comparison MonsterInsights has 3 MILLION free users and must be doing good with pro sales. It indicates that the demand is there.

One issue I have found with Better Analytics for WP is that its hard to find on the wordpress.org plugin repository. You really have to actively search for it. Consider to add some more tags that rivaling plugins use like 'wordpress analytics'. The review score is 4 stars while most other plugins have 4.5 - 5 stars. These negative reviews are because support requests have gone unanswered here and here. Negative reviews dampens use of the free version to only 5k active installs and therefore sales of the pro version.

On the wordpress.org page you do not describe the best parts of the pro features. That becomes only visible AFTER the potential customer goes to your website. But only the ones who have decided to go for the Pro version will click on the link. If you put the entire description of the pro features on the wordpress.org page then many more of those 5k users will become customers. If you do not advertise why your plugin is great, then you will not get the sales.

3rd thing that IMHO would increase your sales is to let guests buy the addon before registering. You want the buying process to be as frictionless as possible. WP users are alien to XF1. Forcing them to first do forum registration will cut down sales.
I can tell you from experience that if you have something similar to how this abandoned (popular) addon works, then this will increase your sales:
Ya… I’m not oblivious to all those things. I have a new marketplace system that allows registration-less purchases, although to be honest I’m not sure if I’m going to enable it because it brings up a whole different set of issues (how do you help people recover lost license keys when they never made an account and you don’t know who they are, how do you handle subscriptions for automatic future updates, how do you handle a year of updates for a cheaper cost if you don’t know for certain if they were someone that made a past purchase, etc). I did build the functionally, but just not sure yet if the problems it causes would be worth the problems it solves. It would work better for something that was a one-off purchase that was never updated (like an eBook or a domain sale or something). I’ve also made registration have less friction (like you can register with Telegram a single click for example).

I have a really nice marketplace addon I built for XF2:

If you can fetch the email address at the software purchase and right after that send the customer to the registration page, then most customers will complete the process. As you already have the email, you can also email anyone who has not completed registration to send instructions for registration, domain validation and download.
If they don't register but ask for support then you can check the email address.

After spending money people will want to register in order to get the product or to be able to use it.

digitalpoint updated [DigitalPoint] Better Google Analytics with a new update entry:

PWA tracking

• New passive tracking option: PWA (if user is in progressive web app or not)
  • New event tracking option: PWA
    • tutorial_begin = viewing installation instructions (iOS only)
    • app_open = loading app
    • app_install_prompt = start installation (not all platforms support it)
    • app_install = app installed (not all platforms support it)
  • New event tracking option: Contact form usage

Read the rest of this update entry...

Thanks for adding more details! Its nice to see the stats of how things are used to see where to put more time and attention into. :)

I'm getting some odd stats.

App_install and app_install_prompt are nearly the same as my page_view count!

Top Bottom