1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

As Designed Cron entries continue to run when board is closed by Admin

Discussion in 'Resolved Bug Reports' started by jauburn, Jul 17, 2016.

1. jauburn

jauburn Well-Known Member

2. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

I'm not sure this is definitively a bug, though I can see the argument. There are certainly various things that should still be run if the board is closed, especially if the closure is temporary/short lived -- imagine you closed the board for 5 minutes and something that happened once a week was skipped because of that.

Because we can't know intention when the board is closed, it seems like this is something that should potentially be opt-in by specific usages.
    semprot likes this.
  3. jauburn

Maybe a check box to stop all cron processes on the Board Active screen?
  4. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Out of the box, I don't see any crons that should explicitly be stopped while the board is closed. Indeed, some of them certainly should be run to maintain data (like stats). So a global switch definitely doesn't make sense. This seems like something that should be controlled at the specific level of a task, either as an option for it, it choosing not to run when the board is closed, or by you temporarily disabling the task.
  5. jauburn

The add-on author referenced by the link in the first post asked me to suggest this here. Perhaps it's an issue for the add-on author. Can add-on authors prevent their add-ons from running cron jobs if a board is closed?
  6. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

Yes they can:
    if (!XenForo_Application::getOptions()->boardActive)
    AndyB and jauburn like this.