Chat 2 by Siropu

Chat 2 by Siropu [Paid] 2.3.5

No permission to buy (€29.99)
Whisper and Roll don't appear to function properly. We get an error message with /prune when used with any switches (tracking this down as it may be a path issue on our end), and just trying to make sense of some of the check boxes and switches and their actual functions.

Some of the issues may be due to our UIX skins and templates. I guess I'm just looking for a description of each item so that have something to help predict the result I'm looking for.

I've also noticed that the "Bots" that can be named, don't appear to be working properly. I've set the forum activity stream to report items as "ActivityBot" but each announcement comes from the "ChatBot" that we've named to announce chat activities. We've not had an instance for the ResourceBot to trigger yet but I'll look into it more as I trial and error my way through.

The whisper function is not working on our install. Not sure what's up with it yet. I get a Xen error returned that says that I do not have permission to use this command. Permissions are set to [enable] for user groups in question. I do not see a reference to either /w or /whisper in the /help file though there are setting for them in the CP.

It's a lot of little things that I'm looking into that a manual would answer or perhaps tell me that I've misinterpreted the operation of a particular setting.

Thanks,
Noobz

/prune (Prune messages) and /whisper (Can whisper) require user group permissions.

What is the issue with /roll command?

I've also noticed that the "Bots" that can be named, don't appear to be working properly.
Will be fixed in the next release.

/prune (Prune messages) and /whisper (Can whisper) require user group permissions.

What is the issue with /roll command?

Will be fixed in the next release.

I've double checked permissions for the /whisper command and they certainly appear to be set appropriately.

The syntax for the /roll command in the /help file is:

/help result said:
/roll
Use this command to roll a dice. You can choose how many dices to roll and how many sides a dice will have by adding ( n ) d ( n ) where the first n is the number of dices and the second one is the number of sides. You can also specify modifiers: +n -y

The /roll command by default will provide a 1d6 roll but any other switches return an error indicating that 1d6 is maximum. ( n ) d ( n ) doesn't appear to function (with or without command line spacing).

Edit: The group I am testing the /whisper and /prune commands with is administrative with everything set to, "yes".

Thank you,
Noobz

Last edited:
If you get a permission error when using the command, it means that permissions are not right. Use the permission analyzer to see if you have the permission set correctly.

As for /roll command, it has options that must be set in order to use bigger dices. Go to ACP > Chat > Commands > Roll and in the field "Command options template" add the following: siropu_chat_command_options_roll

Save and then edit again to change the options.

The template should have been added on install but forgot about it.

ACP > Chat > Commands > Roll and in the field "Command options template" add the following: siropu_chat_command_options_roll

Therein lied the majority of my issues. I did not have this console enabled for my account and could not see the "Chat" menu. I was working with what was in ACP>Setup>Options>Chat. I see now that I was missing "stuff" including the additional perms you mentioned above.

I'll holler if I can't find the missing pieces in these options.
Thank you for your help!
Noobz

@Siropu is there any option to make the chat page be a popup instead of having my users navigate away from the page?

How would I go about making the chat page turn into a popup where a user can just click on the chat page and have a chat popup appear?

This is a feature I would definitely implement if it's not already possible. It's more convenient for a user to have a chat popup then navigate from the page as it's hard to go between posting and chatting at the same time.

@Siropu I'm using 2.0.6 for the siropu chat add-on and don't see the option anywhere. I double checked like 20 times thinking I was missing something. Can you explain better where it's located? The option for a chat popup is not in chat options. Is it located somewhere else?

I checked widgets too, even checked permissions and style properties. I can't find it anywhere. I searched "popup" in the Xenforo search bar and the only thing I saw was the phrase for it. No option or anything. Where is it?

EDIT: I now see the option when going directly to the chat page and focusing directly on the chat itself. However, there must be some way I can enable this to happen when they click on the chat navigation link and not only when they're already on the chat page.

How can I go about directing users to a popup when clicking on the chat navigation link itself?

Last edited:
I'm trying to figure out why the index of the forum lags a lot from both desktop and mobile when the chat is enabled (displaying it only at the top of the index page).

Any tips about what to look for in order to find the cause of this lag?

Thanks @Patagonian , by lag I mean visual lag, not an increased load time for the page. The scrolling for example is delayed, typing in the chat, too. And this happens only at the forum index, which is also the page where the chat is displayed.

Thanks for the help though :)

Ah yeah, sorry. I am sure @Siropu will be along soon to address your concerns.

Meanwhile Chrome > Dev Tools > Performance looks under the hood in a little more detail - if you have the inclination and the time :)

Below is the forums home page for Xenforo.com. Load plus scroll to bottom.

1525951948412.webp

I still left the "Chat" in the menu, so accessing that page where only the chat is vieweable, the same seems to happen. At first it's smooth and great, but after a few minutes (especially if you browse other tabs in the meantime and then come back to the chat tab), it starts lagging. Hope it makes sense :)

@Siropu Is there an option to periodically archive conversations to a dedicated chat thread? I love the idea of chat but worried that it'll take some of the juice away from regular forum activities. Maybe overreacting on this so welcome any inputs.

Top Bottom