Chat 2 by Siropu

Chat 2 by Siropu [Paid] 2.3.5

No permission to buy (€29.99)
I still can't get it to work. Can you recommend another Chat add-on that might be a little more user-friendly? I can't even find information on how to set it up; if it weren't for you, I would not have received any support from this add-on. I understand that it's easy for software folks, but it's not great for someone coming in and just trying to add it to their existing forum.
This is by far the easiest and robust chat application for XF, IMHO.

There are only two major steps outside of deep customization.
1) Install the Addon
2) Configure the usergroups that you want to use the app.

After that, you can go through the granular options to customize it as you'd like.

I'll leave this this here to help you step through the setup process. (Click the Spoiler)
1) Upload and Install Addon
1706063318792.webp

2) After Install, Chat App not showing, so we must configure permissions.
1706063385367.webp

3) In this example, I'm configuring the basic permissions for the primary "Registered" usergroup.
1706063475774.webp

4) Setting very basic permissions and then saving them:

1706063558660.webp
(Note: You need to enable Browse/Join Rooms, which got cutoff in this image)

5) After Setting Permissions, The Navigation bar has automatically updated.

1706063601524.webp

6) Your next step is to configure the rooms and additional permissions, that would be found at

(https://yourdomain.goeshere/admin.php?options/groups/siropuChat/)

1706063671641.webp

7) Enter Chat :)

1706063947629.webp

I made the changes to the user group I created called Supporting Members in the permissions as you suggested, and I added a test user to that user group, but I still don't see the chat add-on in my forum. I don't see it for registered users or the new user group I created called Supporting Members. I've refreshed and logged out and back in.

It doesn't show up at the top like it does on your example or anywhere that I can see.

What changes are you making to Public navigation to get it to show up?

Attachments

• Image 1-23-24 at 8.07 PM.webp
    Image 1-23-24 at 8.07 PM.webp
    35.6 KB · Views: 8
I made the changes to the user group I created called Supporting Members in the permissions as you suggested, and I added a test user to that user group, but I still don't see the chat add-on in my forum. I don't see it for registered users or the new user group I created called Supporting Members. I've refreshed and logged out and back in.

It doesn't show up at the top like it does on your example or anywhere that I can see.

What changes are you making to Public navigation to get it to show up?
I don't make any changes to public navigation, it's completely default. The navigation item will appear when the permissions are correct for the user logged in. The only exception that I can think of is if you are using a custom style that that could conflict with the navbar updates. Try in the default XF style to see if it shows up after confirming the user group permissions.

Otherwise, it sounds like to me that you have a conflict in your permissions among the user groups.

In your example, if you only want the supporting member group to have access, you need not touch ANY other user group in this case.
By default, no groups have access on installation.

You should be able to take a normal member who's already a part of the 'Registered' group and add them to the secondary group "Supporting Members" that has the chat app rights enabled. If you change settings of the registered user group, that could conflict with the 'supporting' group, depending on what you choose. It's best to not change anything on the registered group and only give permissions to the secondary group to simplify things.

Additionally, you can analyze permissions from this link:
Enter the username that you are testing with and scroll down to "Chat User Permissions" and see what it says.

It should look something like this:
1706068669317.webp

I am using a custom style from Pixel Exit, but I was making all of the changes in the general XF settings area, I think. I’ll give it another try once my flight lands so I have normal internet.

I get the error attached when I click on the link.

You have been a great help, I really appreciate it.

Attachments

• IMG_0070.webp
    IMG_0070.webp
    18.4 KB · Views: 8
I get the error attached when I click on the link.
Yes, you need to update the URL for your site, I was just posting a generic link to show you where to check the permissions. Just add /admin.php?permissions/analyze to your site URL. Or, AdminCP > Groups & Permissions > Analyze Permissions

LOL see I told you I was new:) I understand the off road business but I have enjoyed learning the forum. If I end up needing to hire someone to help can I just post over on the main XF community page?

can't even find information on how to set it up;
All you need to do is set the user group permissions. Admin Control Panel > Groups & permissions > User group permissions

If you want all user registered users to have access, set the permissions in "Registered" user group. Else, set it for the group you want.

Reactions: ENF
All you need to do is set the user group permissions. Admin Control Panel > Groups & permissions > User group permissions

If you want all user registered users to have access, set the permissions in "Registered" user group. Else, set it for the group you want.
I have tried that several times. I set everything in the chat permission section to yes for both the Registered user group and the new Supporting member group, and nothing shows up.

If all I need to do is download and install the add-on, create a user group, or use the existing registered user group, set the permissions to yes, and make sure I am a member of that user group, I have done that, and nothing shows up.

Do you have installation instructions somewhere that shows step-by-step how this addon gets installed, or is this an addon not designed for beginners? I have several other add-ons running and have created other user groups, but I am struggling with the Chat 2 add-ons. If you can give me any pointers, I would appreciate it,

John

Do you have installation instructions somewhere that shows step-by-step how this addon gets installed, or is this an addon not designed for beginners? I have several other add-ons running and have created other user groups, but I am struggling with the Chat 2 add-ons. If you can give me any pointers, I would appreciate it,

John
Did you run the analyzer that I mentioned above? Run that on the user account that you are trying to test with, it should show what the issue is if there is a conflicting permission.

You can also try to access the chat directly from just adding chat/ after your URL. (i.e. https://yourwebsite.goeshere/chat/) - If this works, then you have something conflicting in the navigational area that's preventing the navigational aid to be displayed.

Sorry you're having this many issues, but this addon is really that simple to get going at the basic level.

Do you have installation instructions somewhere that shows step-by-step how this addon gets installed, or is this an addon not designed for beginners?
It is very easy. I have mentioned above the steps. Please open a support ticket or send me a DM so I can take a look.

It is very easy. I have mentioned above the steps. Please open a support ticket or send me a DM so I can take a look.
I hired someone to install the add-on and get it working with my user upgrade I have been trying to finish and now the person I hired is recommending I purchase another add-on you developed but I’m not sure it does what I need so can let me know if it does.

The additional add-on he is recommending is your donations add-on. Let me explain what I am trying to do and and you can tell me if it does.

I am getting ready to start taking donations on my site and one of the perks you get when you donate is access to the chat 2 app I already purchased from you, the issue I am running into is with the way XF handles user upgrades and how it excepts donations, I want to be able to let my user pick what they want to donate but XF requires you to pick an amount ie $20, $50 etc

I looked at your donation add-on and it looks like it does a lot but I don’t want my users to see what has been donated I just want the user to be able to pick a dollar amount and donate any amount they pick. Russ from Pixel Exit already has my site ready to go when a user donates they will get access to a new user group called Supporting Member and receive a new badge in there profile, the problem is the way XF forces me to pick a dollar amount, can your donation add-on make it so I can except any amount and still trigger the new Supporting Member user group?

John

Siropu updated Chat 2 by Siropu with a new update entry:

Improvements & Bug Fixes

Added AI command "base prompt" option where you can add custom instructions on how the AI should respond.
Added new user permissions for poll deletion.
Added a message overlay when users get banned or kicked after they automatically leave the room.

Bugs Fixed
Fixed an issue on mobile where you cannot leave the conversation or open the conversation in a new window.
Fixed an issue with flood check where users could not post directly after joining the room.
Room search not working when...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Siropu,

I just did the upgrade and now my users are all getting kick messages, how do I correct this? Have found that if users disable the chatroom bar at the bottom of XF forums they stop getting this notice.

unnamed (5).webp

I Believe so, I was able to duplicate this by signing into chat and not joining any rooms. I then went over to the discussion forum and several minutes late I got this pop up.

I am seeing this on my forum, as well. None of the moderators are seeing it, but regular access people are getting these pop ups and are confused. They think they are being kicked from subforums, not chat. I have disabled it temporarily.

We do have a private chat room used only by the mods, which regular users would not be able to use, if that helps to diagnose the cause

Top Bottom