Bookmarks

Bookmarks [Paid] 2.0.5

No permission to buy ($35.00)
  • Thread starter Thread starter Syndol
  • Start date Start date
Doesn't exactly build a strong foundation when you're charging for updates right off the bat.
I'm sorry that's how you feel. These add ons are very stable and have been for a long time. I have never made a penny off any of these add ons. I am supporting them for free, currently. Once I start developing new features and releasing upgrades is when people will be charged (not the full sale price, might I add). If you're unhappy with this I am sorry. However, if I did not do this, you wouldn't be getting updates at all. @Syndol is retiring. So either it was no more support, no more updates, no more bug fixes, etc, or have me take over and pay a small fee to resume your support.

I'm sorry that's how you feel. These add ons are very stable and have been for a long time. I have never made a penny off any of these add ons. I am supporting them for free, currently. Once I start developing new features and releasing upgrades is when people will be charged (not the full sale price, might I add). If you're unhappy with this I am sorry. However, if I did not do this, you wouldn't be getting updates at all. @Syndol is retiring. So either it was no more support, no more updates, no more bug fixes, etc, or have me take over and pay a small fee to resume your support.

Will you be doing 1.4 fixes for free since @Syndol did promise to have everything working correctly for 1.4. How much will the small fee be as well moving forward, as I own 4 of his products.

In regards to 1.4
I am under the impression that all these add ons work with 1.4. I have not had control of the code very long so I have not gone through every single line. @Syndol assured me that all of them work with 1.4 but it is only in beta and something may come up. If there is legitimately a bug with compatibility in 1.4, I will fix that without considering it an update or a new version.

In regards to concerns of my support
I am supporting the projects at this moment for free, I have not made a penny. I will address all posts from existing license holders. These add ons all have a reputation for being stable and have been around for a long time so I have confidence there won't be many issues and the whole updating thing won't come up until I add new features.

In regards to multiple licenses/products
I am working on organizing all of the licenses over the course of the next week. I have to see exactly who owns what, and all that fun stuff. The pricing has not been set in stone. Multiple licenses will result in a discount though, that is for sure.

I by no means want to kill anyone with these renewal fees. I am not trying to get rich [off these addons]. I have a full time job and support myself just fine, I do not need to rob you guys.

[Edit] Please move all future conversion here: http://xenmods.com/threads/syndols-addons.248/

Really like this App, but I have a feature request. It would be awesome if I could not only make my bookmark public so that people can see it when visiting my profile, but it would also be cool if I could "Share" my bookmark so that others with appropriate permission, or who perhaps follow me, could see the bookmark within their own bookmarks or quicklinks.

I'm not quite sure how the user interface would work. Would you want the people who you follow to have their bookmarks be mixed in with your bookmarks on the Bookmarks tab of your profile? or would you want another profile tab? I almost feel like that should be a user setting if I were to implement it because I can see why a user may not want someone else to have control over content in their profile. I think a public bookmark is like a recommendation sort of. And if it's treated like that, then having your bookmarks on my profile would be like me recommending that content to people who view my profile and I may not agree with everything you bookmark.

If you're looking for a way to see the people who you follow's bookmarks, they show up in your news feed just like other content from them. http://xenmods.com/recent-activity/ I just bookmarked a random post on my forum (happens to be relevant to this add on merely by coincidence). Anyone that follows me would see it on this page as well: http://xenmods.com/account/news-feed

Thank you for suggestion, I'm looking forward to hearing more. I'm glad you like the add on so far.

I'm not quite sure how the user interface would work. Would you want the people who you follow to have their bookmarks be mixed in with your bookmarks on the Bookmarks tab of your profile? or would you want another profile tab? I almost feel like that should be a user setting if I were to implement it because I can see why a user may not want someone else to have control over content in their profile. I think a public bookmark is like a recommendation sort of. And if it's treated like that, then having your bookmarks on my profile would be like me recommending that content to people who view my profile and I may not agree with everything you bookmark.

If you're looking for a way to see the people who you follow's bookmarks, they show up in your news feed just like other content from them. http://xenmods.com/recent-activity/ I just bookmarked a random post on my forum (happens to be relevant to this add on merely by coincidence). Anyone that follows me would see it on this page as well: http://xenmods.com/account/news-feed

Thank you for suggestion, I'm looking forward to hearing more. I'm glad you like the add on so far.
I think we're probably a unique use case, as we're a relatively small internal group that sometimes wants to focus our group's attention on selected threads. We currently "feature" some threads with another add-on, but there are others that it would be nice to have at everyone's fingertips with a single click.

In terms of implementation, perhaps Bookmarks from those that I follow could be displayed in either my quick links and profile bookmarks section, but separate from my personal bookmarks. Say, for example, within the Quicklinks on the Navbar, there can be a child tab or tabs that say "Personal Bookmarks"; "Followed User1 Bookmarks"'; Followed User2 Bookmarks", etc. Bookmarks within my profile could also be segmented in a similar manner by sections within the web page.

Perhaps another technique would be able to make ALL public bookmarks accessible, by every user with the appropriate permssions, within a separate discrete area. Users could then subscribe to various bookmark, simply by selecting them, and deciding whther they are displayed in their own profiles or on quicklinks, or both.

Daniel Hood updated Bookmarks with a new update entry:

"Insert Bookmarks..."

Bookmarks 1.4 is now available for purchase (or download for those with active licenses) on XenMods.

This release introduces a new feature that enables you to insert your bookmarked content into posts quickly. You can search your bookmarked content by tag, content type, and if you selected it to be a quick link and then insert it as either a link to the content or as a full quote.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Reactions: Bob
I really really dislike HATE the placement of the button to insert bookmarks. It's fine on a desktop but on a mobile it is not good. Check the placement of the insert quotes button on a mobile device because that button doesn't put itself in the place of the primary button (post reply) as this seems to. I know this is just a small niggle but it would help the UI and stick closer to xenforo UI convention.

I meant to include another template modificaton, add this to your EXTRA.css

Code:
.Responsive #QuickReply #BookMarkOverlayTrigger {
float: right;
margin-top: 5px;
margin-left: 5px;
}

Reactions: Rob
Your css above takes effect on desktops also so I've disabled that. I got a bit of a spacing issue on desktops when you have quotes in the queue as the insert quotes button is adjacent with no spacing. just a heads up although fixed my end :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom