XF 1.1 BB Code Media Improvements in XenForo 1.1

This video looks at some of the improvements we have made to the BB code media system in XenForo 1.1, allowing you to embed media from a far wider variety of sources.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Update:

Let's call this rapid feedback reaction or something buzz-wordy like that. Anyway, just a few hours after posting the last video, I have a little update for you :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Then why you dont auto embed image too Kier? I think with this auto embed system (and many others great stuff), xenForo will be the king of forum softwares soon :love:
Because the preference to link, embed, or attach an image is too dynamic even on a per post basis.

I rather it doesn't auto embed, than having to tell the system specifically to make exceptions all the time.

If this system can auto embed ALL link as I said, this is the BIG function that all others forum software wanted :p
Does not mean any link is auto embedded. It means it will listen for matches and replaces it with embed code.

If the asian site stuff allows embedding, and you put the code in xenforo to listen for those links, yes. By default 'no'.

Kier, does the auto-embed take into account links within other BB codes? e.g.: Somebody doing a "Click Here!" link that points to a a YouTube page. Wouldn't want that switched to an embedded video instead of just a link.
I only attempt to auto-embed links that are not already within [url]...[/url] tags, so any sort of link that has anchor text, like a 'Click here' link would not be subject to auto embedding.

It might be a good idea to create a reference thread where everyone can share their favourite media BBcode settings; then others can simply copy the settings to enable the auto-embed on their own sites.

Cheers,
Shaun :D

I really like the last option - where it embeds the video and adds a URL - good work!! :)
Me too.
Because without it wouldn't be allowed to use the videos from some pages as embed elements on own pages.
Some video sites require to have "a link or text" under/above the video

I'm really happy that we have here 2 devs who think "most of the times":p on this small but important things:D

Take a look back at the first post for an update and a larger version of this video:

This is awesome, just one question though, does this get processed on thread post or on thread view? In other words if I was to change the option would it then auto-embed all links already posted or just those posted going forward?

I don't want this I am just curious!

I have to thank Kier for making that update, people can now choose between a geek oriented forum where imho people will never use the freakin button but the admin hopes they will, or a post-facebook era forum where users don't give a fsck about how their content looks - they don't even care about how they spell words anymore. :(

I agree that in a perfect world, people should use a proper interface to embed stuff. They simply don't anymore. I also believe they should type more than two lines, or at least have the text content of their post higher than their avatar. More than 4 lines ? :) That's a thing from the past as well :( Sometimes I think I should have users with a 16x16 pixels avatar, it would be a better use of page layout space nowadays :)
Recently, my users don't even embed images anymore. More and more people simply link to imageshack or the likes, and hope for the best. Similarly, nobody uses VB's attach system anymore either... Or any attach system whatsoever.

This is getting philosophical. Thanks Kier for the update.

Because the preference to link, embed, or attach an image is too dynamic even on a per post basis.

I rather it doesn't auto embed, than having to tell the system specifically to make exceptions all the time.
I think the video embed is a basic thing too. But with user today, they are too familiar with auto embed of video or image on Facebook. If we only make automatically on video, I think they will ask from day to day "Why you don't auto embed imagefor us?"

This is awesome, just one question though, does this get processed on thread post or on thread view? In other words if I was to change the option would it then auto-embed all links already posted or just those posted going forward?

I don't want this I am just curious!
No, it's a relatively intensive process, so it works at save time through XenForo_Helper_String::autoLinkBbCode() rather than at page display time. If you wanted to retrospectively apply it, you'd need to loop through messages re-applying that method to each one.

I think the video embed is a basic thing too. But with user today, they are too familiar with auto embed of video or image on Facebook. If we only make automatically on video, I think they will ask from day to day "Why you don't auto embed imagefor us?"
That's a far more challenging prospect, as it would require that the server follow every link that is posted in order to work out whether or not it points to an image, and then mark it up accordingly. There's no way to tell simply from the URL whether or not it's a link to an image.

No, it's a relatively intensive process, so it works at save time through XenForo_Helper_String::autoLinkBbCode() rather than at page display time. If you wanted to retrospectively apply it, you'd need to loop through messages re-applying that method to each one.

This is what I wanted to hear :D... Awesome!

That's a far more challenging prospect, as it would require that the server follow every link that is posted in order to work out whether or not it points to an image, and then mark it up accordingly. There's no way to tell simply from the URL whether or not it's a link to an image.
I have an idea, make the menu with all image file type (like .jpg, .jpeg, ...). Any URL with that file type will be auto embed, with more complex URL, you can let the admin set it in Option like Video embed.

another one is that it's less subject to XSS or messing with html code.

I am confused by this how would embed at display be less subject to XSS or messing with html code :S... from what I understand upon post any links in a media url format gets changed to the bbcode!

Top Bottom