XF 1.1 BB Code Media Improvements in XenForo 1.1

This video looks at some of the improvements we have made to the BB code media system in XenForo 1.1, allowing you to embed media from a far wider variety of sources.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Update:

Let's call this rapid feedback reaction or something buzz-wordy like that. Anyway, just a few hours after posting the last video, I have a little update for you :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sorry I misunderstood Kier's quote; forget my comment, I thought the "youtube embed" would end up in the TEXT (forum posts) database fields. It is not. The way it works is OK. I'm not a native english speaker (you probably guessed that) and sometimes I use the wrong words (like "enforcing" :) ) or simply miss the point. :)

No, it's a relatively intensive process, so it works at save time through XenForo_Helper_String::autoLinkBbCode() rather than at page display time. If you wanted to retrospectively apply it, you'd need to loop through messages re-applying that method to each one.

It would be good if the vB converter was also able to convert media links, either during importing or content rebuilding afterwards.

There's no way to tell simply from the URL whether or not it's a link to an image.

I am no expert, but I would think that you could tell from the URL whether it is an image or not when the URL ends with ".jpg" , ".gif", ".png", etc. ?
When the URL ends with ".jpg" , ".gif", ".png", or other image-formats, then it is an image, right?

I understand Kier's point that images are a nightmare to fetch (I've done a similar mod for my forums and it's not yet perfect after years of work on it, due to the immense jungle that the internet can be once you start "fetching" things).

However, something in the middle, anything more clever than simply having a URL tag around JPEGs in text bodies could be achieved... The auto embed system is the obvious place to start. The tool is already there. Going too far away ( having the script mirror the images, etc) could be a disaster tough. Something useful could simply be to make "url to images" not pop up in a windows like links, but make an higlslide overlayer on top of the forum, with the destination URL inside. At first glance, the 1.1 system could be used to do just that with very few modifications.

In fact, processing URLs themselves should be added to this interface, so that it can be tuned to anyone's needs : like having url=nofollow, open in a _new or not, etc etc
For the sake of clarity let's consider "an image" anything beginning with http and ending in .jpg/.gif, and forget the rest. This would involve processing bbcode stuff in a strict order too (so that URL leading to images are processed before any other link.)
Possibilities of what I describe here are endless ( having local links open in _self and external links open in _new, process PDFs differently, etc.)

I am no expert, but I would think that you could tell from the URL whether it is an image or not when the URL ends with ".jpg" , ".gif", ".png", etc. ?
When the URL ends with ".jpg" , ".gif", ".png", or other image-formats, then it is an image, right?
See my LINK, we share a same though :). There are some complex image URL, but I think they can easily handle it with the setting in Option.

See my LINK, we share a same though :). There are some complex image URL, but I think they can easily handle it with the setting in Option.
yeah, I saw your post only later on :)
off topic: wondering if you would be so kind and could share the vietnamese language file with me? Thanks!

now that would be great and easy for the users to understand.

That's a far more challenging prospect, as it would require that the server follow every link that is posted in order to work out whether or not it points to an image, and then mark it up accordingly. There's no way to tell simply from the URL whether or not it's a link to an image.

Great to have the three different options! Great work Kier! :D

By the way, the thread prefixes (Media and Demo) are lookin' good. Hopefully you'll have the option to click on them and show all of the similarly 'prefixed' threads popup on a separate page ;)

I like the third option of adding a link too - my CycleChat members will love that one as they're always complaining that people don't link to the URL of the video when embedding them.

<borat>Yeshemak - eet eez very nyce</borat> :D

XF never stops amazing me, some people want one thing and other want another and yet XF pleases both sides by adding an option - not like other forum software they apply what they want and dont listen to there community.

Great stuff XF. (y)

Top Bottom