XF 1.1 BB Code Media Improvements in XenForo 1.1

This video looks at some of the improvements we have made to the BB code media system in XenForo 1.1, allowing you to embed media from a far wider variety of sources.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Update:

Let's call this rapid feedback reaction or something buzz-wordy like that. Anyway, just a few hours after posting the last video, I have a little update for you :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yeah, I see, more of that "single person project" stuff.

no thanks
is that your customer oriented official answer ?

Not even an OPTION to allow what people ask OPTIONALLY?
I'm not sure I'm going to go live with XF anytime soon with that kind of attitude.

is there a reason why XF does not simply replace http://youtube/blah with the movie ?
Why having to go thru a popup and special menu ?

Could there be an option to allow this simple search/replace of youtbe URLs inside message bodies ?
No "non technical user" will ever use or understand this way of doing things, imho.

That might be an awesome and convenient feature. But I wont be able to post a video link (other than embedding the video) :-)

No thanks.

I prefer having the option of embedding the video or just posting the URL.

An option to enable or disable this would be good. The problem is that most users are lazy and will just post the url midstream in their post. They will not bother with clicking just to embed a video. This is why AME is such a great addition to any VBulletin site, the only downside is that it directly changes the post, still, it saves us from the lazy users :)

That might be an awesome and convenient feature. But I wont be able to post a video link (other than embedding the video) :)
To force embed everything or make me go through an extra step to not embed the media is crazy. AME was just fine but it should remain addon functionality and not part of the core.

An option to enable or disable this would be good. The problem is that most users are lazy and will just post the url midstream in their post. They will not bother with clicking just to embed a video. This is why AME is such a great addition to any VBulletin site, the only downside is that it directly changes the post, still, it saves us from the lazy users :)
Which is likely why it has been suggested before to be a stock option in vB and to date has not been done yet.

Having to get your site visitors used to pasting the URL into a pop-up is much easier than having to explain over & over again why them pasting a URL into the editor messes up their post.

Which is likely why it has been suggested before to be a stock option in vB and to date has not been done yet.

Having to get your site visitors used to pasting the URL into a pop-up is much easier than having to explain over & over again why them pasting a URL into the editor messes up their post.

Eh? Most members will just post the url and not worry about clicking extra buttons just to embed some form of media.

@deebs, it's not "lazy users", it's TODAY's USERS.
Nobody wants to link to a video, they want the video to display.
I mean, hey... Facebook anyone ?

It's terrible to see how users suggestions are considered here. In 10 minutes I got 4 likes on my post, but hey, after all, it's Kier who's deciding, and Brogan who's enforcing his decisions.

I'm not saying everyone has to agree with me or my suggestion, I'm saying that no forum dev or staff should dismiss customer suggestions with "it's like that and that's the way it is"

yeah, would be great to get all this videos working without clicking onto the media-button in the editor......
I did not find this hidden "media button" in the editor myself when I first started using XF...

@deebs, it's not "lazy users", it's TODAY's USERS.
Nobody wants to link to a video, they want the video to display.
I mean, hey... Facebook anyone ?

It's terrible to see how users suggestions are considered here. In 10 minutes I got 4 likes on my post, but hey, after all, it's Kier who's deciding, and Brogan who's enforcing his decisions.

I'm not saying everyone has to agree with me or my suggestion, I'm saying that no forum dev or staff should dismiss customer suggestions with "it's like that and that's the way it is"
Your suggestion and Facebook's implementation is completely different. The way Facebook achieves this is to auto-attach a video, description, image, whatever to the post, but it still includes the link. The way I read your post (and probably Brogan) read it as the software would be to take the youtube URL and replace the URL with the embeddable image. Brogan was expressing his opinion, just like you or me. He's not saying "it'll never happen," just his personal opinion.

To be fair, Kier said he would look at exposing the BB media codes to addons. To me this means it will not be in the core but available for a developer to code an addon to achieve the same result.

"Eh? What's it complaining about now" - made me chuckle! Glad to see I'm not the only one who does that from time to time.

Have to say, the power that is easily exposed with the callback is awesome.

I noticed you can use a call back as well for the embed code. Can't wait to see whatelse is in 1.1 that we don't know about!

Top Bottom