AVForums moves to Xenforo

Looks fantastic. There's still a few tweaks I feel that need to be made and I understand @Audentio (great styler) is on top of that. Excellent from from all those involved.

Just a minor detail with regards to the sign spam smiley.

The coordinates for that should be -101px -48px instead of -100px -48px as there is some cropping on the right hand side of it.

Screenshot_1.webp

Was that spritesheet saved as png-8?

Stuart,
The main issue for me is the blurry font when using Google Chrome, I cant read the forums for more than a few minutes.
Would it be possible to have an additional font like here on Xenforo, were you can choose XenVetana theme

http://www.avforums.com/forums
Although the whole site including the editorial dominated home page is run in Xenforo.
Very happy to have jumped on the bandwagon to success.

Looking good! I'll resist signing up though--I could waste way too much time there. :D On second thought... ;)

Rolling out a conversion is tough though. Never fails--even if I do an upgrade, within minutes we have everyone jumping on us for every little thing that's wrong, right as we're in the middle of working the kinks out. Unless it's really serious and one of our staff reports an issue to me, I tend to ignore most of them until I'm done with what I have to do. I feel they should be so lucky I put the forum back online so quickly. (And it always seems that the few who complain the loudest are the least grateful ones, who aren't happy with anything we do.)

Hi Stuart,

I'm not a member of AVForums, and when I first glanced at the forums (after reading this post) I thought the design looked great. About an hour ago, I went back to have a look at the feedback of your users and I do agree with some of the things I've been reading. I find the design very harsh on the eyes (even when using Firefox). Using Chrome it's even worse because of the blurry font. I found it very difficult to read a few pages of text.

I'm confident these issues will be resolved in the near future, but I thought I'd give you some feedback from a non-biased perspective. Most people oppose change and I know how frustrating this can be as a forum admin, but I do think some of the feedback from your members is valid.

I think that the choice of colours and the design is a mistake. I don't think this design is suitable for a large forum where lots of people spend hours browsing the site. For such site usability should be the primary concern and there should be a balance between usability and aesthetics. Here I think aesthetics was the main concern. Fancy colours and fancy fonts is not a great idea for a large forum. I hope I'm wrong.

I give that about 5 minutes before it is deleted :LOL:

But well worded, and true enough.

I have to say Stuart, I think there might need to be a slight change of attitude with regards to the font.

It's all very well drawing a line underneath it and saying Google Chrome doesn't support Google Fonts but it doesn't appear as though that's any consolation to probably a large majority of people who use Google Chrome on Windows. Despite this bug, Chrome is a fantastic browser. One that many, including I, feel is the most superior of all the browsers.

So telling people the solution is to use a different browser probably isn't going to be valid. At least not as valid as telling someone to run something other than Internet Explorer which consistently does everything wrong!

I believe there's many type faces out there that probably are hosted on Google Fonts and probably display fine with Google Chrome. Hopefully you'll find one you're happy with.

Top Bottom