AVForums moves to Xenforo

One of the add-ons I created for AVForums initially caused issues with load but that was fixed almost immediately. This was further exasperated due to issues with APC and caching. For the most part, the site is flying pretty fast now.

There is still a higher-than-normal load on the server which we believe to be add-on related. It may take some time to identify exactly which. And even so, our priority will be feeding our findings back to the add-on developer rather than naming names here.

It may take some time to identify exactly which. And even so, our priority will be feeding our findings back to the add-on developer rather than naming names here.

I'd be really interested how the Post Rating Addon is coping as we always see a massive load change when disabling it when we're really busy.

I think that the choice of colours and the design is a mistake. I don't think this design is suitable for a large forum where lots of people spend hours browsing the site. For such site usability should be the primary concern and there should be a balance between usability and aesthetics. Here I think aesthetics was the main concern. Fancy colours and fancy fonts is not a great idea for a large forum. I hope I'm wrong.

I think the overall of the theme is well done. But with the style having too much white and the message font it indeed hurts the eye after a while. But all things but aside if this is the only problem, avforums has nothing to worry. All easy things to fix.

Last edited:
Overall a solid migration, but there's a few things making the site a bit 'uncomfortable' for me to browse

- Custom font for body text quite difficult to read
- Fixed width, fair enough, but it's too thin
- Fixed position header makes scrolling in Firefox very laggy
- Fixed header makes the page feel claustrophobic and steals too much vertical space
- Animation on the header, while nice at first, makes initial scrolling even more laggy
- Community tab might be better as separate tabs rather than a multi-tier menu

Just relished posting this over at vB.com

Sweet! I think I'll print it out and have it framed. :D

I feel the same way about vB/IB, having had the 4.x licensing rammed down our throats just so we could continue getting support on 3.x...then to have that declared "end of life" not to long after, and leaving us hanging. If it weren't for my possibly having to do a bit more work with it (we still have the license), I'd have left a similar note by now. And having seen the trainwreck of vB5, I'm very glad we did not get suckered into yet another "upgrade".

We're in a far better place now. At least the developers here are in touch and monitor the forum, and actually listen to what us admins and end users experience on a daily basis. As important as our "big board" forums are to us, we can't afford a bumbling software company (see above), or any of those poorly coded freeware choices like phpBB, MyBB, etc., where development appears to be stagnating (as always).

"CODForums moves to xenForo!"
"AVForums moves to Xenforo"

What a copycat! :p

I'm just kidding, Stuart! Congratulations on moving to xenForo! :)

Nice site. I really, really love what you guys have done to the navigation. I mean the sub navigation disappears, then the black navigation makes it's own animation. Very well done whoever did that! :)

Looks really good, I like the collapseable user info on the threads, is that done via an add-on available here or one of your own?

Overall a solid migration, but there's a few things making the site a bit 'uncomfortable' for me to browse

- Custom font for body text quite difficult to read
- Fixed width, fair enough, but it's too thin
- Fixed position header makes scrolling in Firefox very laggy
- Fixed header makes the page feel claustrophobic and steals too much vertical space
- Animation on the header, while nice at first, makes initial scrolling even more laggy
- Community tab might be better as separate tabs rather than a multi-tier menu

My thoughts exactly.
- The font is too uncomfortable.
- Can you make the width a percentage instead of fixed width. Percentage width with fixed width sidebar achieves your purpose of having a fixed width sidebar for ads as well as looks good across different screen resolutions.
- Header looks impressive first but after a while becomes very irritating

A lot of the old folks are bashing on the pink/black theme...I think it looks quite sharp and modern. I also like the white background, but agree that it's difficult to read the text with that font. My eyes were watering after a short period. Best to nip the font problem in the butt as soon as possible.

Loving the site so far, really like the theme. Just my eyes can't deal with that font to read more then a few lines of a thread.

I guess if I was to design the site ...
I would have made it look like engadget - http://www.engadget.com/

The Home Page is too image based for my eyes.
I want to read a few sentences to see if I want to read an article.
Just a picture doesn't work for me.

I also think a techy crowd likes Text (facts and figures and specs) not just glitz.
IMO.

I think the HomePage needs a rethink - more mobile friendly, different layout.

The forums are quiet fast. Lots of design things I like.

Top Bottom