XF 2.0 Attachments/Image links are broken

Fastline

By default, when there's a reply to a conversation or a post, the mail is received, if the option is set. If the post or conversation has a attachment, it also shows "View attachment XXX". But it doesn't shows. The links are broken.

* XXX refers to the attachment number in the forum.

I'm using XF 2.0.10.

For the Attachments, i checked and confirmed using
  • PHP built-in GD image library
  • Imagemagick PECL extension
Also, tried using insert image and attach files.
But no luck, the attachments/image links are broken.

Last edited:
Out of interest here (I apologise for this I can explain why if you wanted to know) are the attachments actually "working" when you view the conversation (as in "PM message/conversation") not a thread/post

Out of interest here (I apologise for this I can explain why if you wanted to know) are the attachments actually "working" when you view the conversation (as in "PM message/conversation") not a thread/post
Firstly, Thanks for the reply. But i don't think you get to my issue. There's no any issue with the attachments in either thread/post or a PM/Conversation.

But the issues is with the attachments in the mail received. Do you get it now?

Attachments won't show in emails, the permissions system deals with those to check to see if a user can view them or not so you'd have to be on the site logged in and viewing the post/conversation to be able to see them.

Do you get it now?
Yes. :) Thank you.

Did you convert from other software (I thought I saw that in your post but I may of been mistaken) and if so what ? If you did, do you have the redirection scripts in place ?

If you did not convert, did they work previously ? And if you are not sure an estimate of when they stopped as in XF1 or an earlier XF2 version...

Attachments won't show in emails, the permissions system deals with those to check to see if a user can view them or not so you'd have to be on the site logged in and viewing the post/conversation to be able to see them.
I know that the attachments DO NOT show in any emails via XF or even when quoting. Again you also didn't read my post carefully. It should say "View attachment XXX" but it doesn't and sometimes, it shows but the link is broken. I hope you get the question now.
If not, i request you to read the post once again, carefully.

Yes. :) Thank you.

Did you convert from other software (I thought I saw that in your post but I may of been mistaken) and if so what ? If you did, do you have the redirection scripts in place ?

If you did not convert, did they work previously ? And if you are not sure an estimate of when they stopped as in XF1 or an earlier XF2 version...
Well, i'have been using it from XF 2.0 only. No such scripts. I don't know why is it happening. It should say "View attachments XXX" but it doesn't. Sometimes it says that but the link is broken. So something is there.
But i'm new here so no any idea.

This is how it's working from starting. But i didn't checked. After completing all the work, i started to check for issues before the launch and this is face.

Again you also didn't read my post carefully.
Actually I did read your post carefully but the way you phrased it

If the post or conversation has a attachment, it also shows "View attachment XXX". But it doesn't shows. The links are broken.
is ambiguous. "But it doesn't shows" I took to mean that the attachment doesn't show. It's only in your post reply to me that you seem to be indicating that it's the link to the attachment that sometimes doesn't show and when it does, it is broken.

Regarding attachments, I've only checked this so far with XF 1.5. In that if there was an attachment in a post but it was left as an attachment, there was no link in the email. If it was an image that was inserted into the post, I did get a View Attachment XXXX link and the link worked. For XF 2.0, the only test I have is from a conversation email I've had from this site. In it there was an (attached) image inserted into the message. In the email, that showed the name of the file (not view attachment xxxx) and that wasn't linked to.

I'm now watching this thread so if you want to do the same then I can attach something (and you can do the same) to see if what we get here is the same or different to what you are getting on your site.

Actually I did read your post carefully but the way you phrased it
My bad.
Regarding attachments, I've only checked this so far with XF 1.5. In that if there was an attachment in a post but it was left as an attachment, there was no link in the email. If it was an image that was inserted into the post, I did get a View Attachment XXXX link and the link worked.
Yes, it should show "View Attachment XXXX" as a link but the link is broken.
For XF 2.0, the only test I have is from a conversation email I've had from this site. In it there was an (attached) image inserted into the message. In the email, that showed the name of the file (not view attachment xxxx) and that wasn't linked to.
Hmm. So same happening with the XF 2.0.x?
I'm now watching this thread so if you want to do the same then I can attach something (and you can do the same) to see if what we get here is the same or different to what you are getting on your site.
Yes, it would be much better if you can attach two tests. One for attached files and one as a inserted post.

As you'll only receive one email until you visit this thread, I'll do both in this one message.

Here are two attached images inserted into the message:

tardis_inserted.webp
dalek_attached.webp

The other two images are simply attached to this message. Hopefully that will show you what you should be getting with attachments in XF 2 and if your setup replicates this.

Attachments

• sonic_screwdriver_attached.webp
    sonic_screwdriver_attached.webp
    5 KB · Views: 5
  • doctor_who_inserted.webp
    doctor_who_inserted.webp
    11.9 KB · Views: 2
As you'll only receive one email until you visit this thread, I'll do both in this one message.

View attachment 184236
View attachment 184233

The other two images are simply attached to this message. Hopefully that will show you what you should be getting with attachments in XF 2 and if your setup replicates this.
Well, i received the mail from Borgan but not from you. Thanks for testing. Can we do it again?

Sure, here it is again.

doctor_who_inserted.webp sonic_screwdriver_attached.webp

The other two images are simply attached to this message.

Attachments

• dalek_attached.webp
    dalek_attached.webp
    9 KB · Views: 2
  • tardis_inserted.webp
    tardis_inserted.webp
    12.3 KB · Views: 21
Sure, here it is again.

View attachment 184242View attachment 184241

The other two images are simply attached to this message.
Thanks a lot.
As expected, here's the screenshot attached. I think it's a bug. Cause this forum is a Official forum from XF itself. And it shouldn't have any issues or any misconfiguration or improper installation.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-26 at 8.30.23 AM.webp
    Screen Shot 2018-09-26 at 8.30.23 AM.webp
    40.8 KB · Views: 20
If it works like this on here, it's either as designed, or it's a bug that hasn't been noticed. If you believe it to be a bug, post it in the bug reports for staff to look at.

If it works like this on here, it's either as designed, or it's a bug that hasn't been noticed. If you believe it to be a bug, post it in the bug reports for staff to look at.
Is that same for you?
I think it's a bug. I noticed two bugs. One of them was a minor so i've fixed it.
Can you attach the mail in which i added a screenshot?

Top Bottom