Are you still using PHP 5.x? Why?

correction ;)
Code:
php -v
PHP 7.3.3 (cli) (built: Mar  5 2019 23:42:40) ( NTS )
Copyright (c) 1997-2018 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v3.3.3, Copyright (c) 1998-2018 Zend Technologies
    with Zend OPcache v7.3.3, Copyright (c) 1999-2018, by Zend Technologies
Any benchmarks for it @eva2000? I only update my centmindmod when I see your great benchmark graphs :)

Flipped to 7.2 a while ago (my host determines the third point level, my dev of 2.1 is reporting 7.2.15). 7.3 not available from them yet but I'll switch when it does.

7.3.2 is now available through EasyApache for anyone running WHM/cPanel. It was made available through an EA maintenance release yesterday.

So far so good (y)
Same here, I also particularly loved how they now detect all extensions you have installed for previous PHP versions and add them automatically. That wasn't available when 7.2 was new, only took like 20 minutes but still, it's appreciated :D

Safari The site feels snappier too... 🤔

Yeah, that was really handy! A super easy upgrade. No reason not to do it.

Just been running a few lighthouse tests through chrome on my wordpress sites before and after switching between php version and loads speeds do seem to be a tad faster when comparing the results.

Speaking of PHP upgrades, for those of you using cPanel and 7.2 or above, this might interest you: https://forums.cpanel.net/threads/e...ng-argon2i-for-passwords.630459/#post-2636865

(Related to: https://xenforo.com/community/threa...-1-assorted-improvements.155901/#post-1294633)

I've only tested it on 7.3, but I can confirm that Argon2id support is now baked into PHP 7.3 and it's working fine @ our site, correctly re-hashed my password after I logged out and back in again :)

If you're running 7.3 on cPanel and you want to check whether your server can support it, you can create a test.php file with the following contents:
PHP:
<?php

echo password_hash(‘password’, PASSWORD_ARGON2ID);

Then visit it in your browser. If it displays a hash that starts with $argon2id$ then you're set and you can alter your config.php as per the HYS thread.

For 7.2 the code is probably
PHP:
<?php

echo password_hash(‘password’, PASSWORD_ARGON2I);

Although that is untested.

Top Bottom