Are you still using PHP 5.x? Why?

Just checked version. It's 7.2.6 for XF installation domain.
Cloud Linux makes it so easy. You can run from 4.x to 7.x and set it for whatever version the domain owner wants.
CL+LSWS+cPanel = almost everything is automated.

An older version of Widget Framework is incompatible so contact the author or get the latest version from their site.

Aside from that, just make sure you're using later than XF 1.5.16.

Good. For reasons I don't understand, that update was only available on their support site for a very long time.

Just installed a fresh jessie image via remote console and it came with 5.6 pre-installed. I guess there are quite some people who don't bother upgrading unless it's really needed.

Is there a way to detect if you have any add-ons that are incompatible with 7.2? I know from this thread that I need to update WidgetFramework but not sure how to identify other add-ons. I suppose I could just change the PHP version, see if it breaks and check the logs. :)

I cant imagine any addons to be incompatible with php7 by now. Maybe if they are really old and have become unsupported years ago.

I cant imagine any addons to be incompatible with php7 by now. Maybe if they are really old and have become unsupported years ago.
Yup, after upgrading WF to the latest version I just changed the PHP version again and it broke the site. Any thread I click on displays:
An unexpected error occurred. Please try again later.

I'll have to figure out a way to determine which add-on is not 7.2 friendly. If anyone has any ideas on how to do that, please let me know.

Yup, after upgrading WF to the latest version I just changed the PHP version again and it broke the site. Any thread I click on displays:
An unexpected error occurred. Please try again later.

I'll have to figure out a way to determine which add-on is not 7.2 friendly. If anyone has any ideas on how to do that, please let me know.

You are going to play the one by one game.

Either revert your PHP to a lower version and then disable all addons or if you cant

add $config['enableListeners'] = false; to your config.php file to regain access to your admin panel
Disable all addons

remove the $config['enableListeners'] = false; line, then one by one enable your addons.
You will find the one that breaks it then.

Or...

Put some extra effort in and configure the server so it can run multiple versions of PHP side by side.

You can then make a copy of your live site, configure that site to run the updated PHP and test it in isolation thoroughly, without impacting your live site or panicking to revert changes when things fail.

Once tested, you can "flick a switch" and make the updated PHP work on your live site, with no stress or downtime.

Or...

Put some extra effort in and configure the server so it can run multiple versions of PHP side by side.

You can then make a copy of your live site, configure that site to run the updated PHP and test it in isolation thoroughly, without impacting your live site or panicking to revert changes when things fail.

Once tested, you can "flick a switch" and make the updated PHP work on your live site, with no stress or downtime.
Effort isn't the problem as much as knowledge and resources to do that (financial and time). Would you be able to point to some resources on how to do it? I'd love to see if I can make it happen.

It seems like any time I try and create a dev environment it leads to big cost due to the extra space it takes up on the server.

If that's the case it's super easy, under "Software" click "MultiPHP Manager" and you can select a separate version of PHP for any of your domains/subdomains
Oh, yeah, that's what I've been doing on the live site - which is how I'm able to see it's breaking when I change to 7.2. But that's not what Chris was describing when he talked about replicating the site and switching between PHP versions on the test site to see if it breaks, instead of doing it on the live site.

Create a new sub domain. Make a copy of your live site files and database and transfer them over to that sub-domain. Change the PHP version on the sub-domain and do the testing you need to there.
It seems like any time I try and create a dev environment it leads to big cost due to the extra space it takes up on the server.
EDIT: I missed this bit but you could at least reduce the space requirements by not copying over the content of data/attachments and internal_data/attachments.

Last edited:
Create a new sub domain. Make a copy of your live site files and database and transfer them over to that sub-domain. Change the PHP version on the sub-domain and do the testing you need to there.

EDIT: I missed this bit but you could at least reduce the space requirements by not copying over the content of data/attachments and internal_data/attachments.
Good suggestion there Chris, I'll remove those directories.

I created a copy of the site on a sub-domain. I disabled all plugins via the config file and changed PHP to 7.2 and got the same error. I checked the admin panel and I see a memcached error. Could that be the cause? Here's the error:

Code:
Zend_Cache_Exception: The memcache extension must be loaded for using this backend ! - library/Zend/Cache.php:209

#0 /home/site/public_html/dev/library/Zend/Cache/Backend/Memcached.php(123): Zend_Cache::throwException('The memcache ex...')
#1 /home/site/public_html/dev/library/Zend/Cache.php(153): Zend_Cache_Backend_Memcached->__construct(Array)
#2 /home/site/public_html/dev/library/Zend/Cache.php(94): Zend_Cache::_makeBackend('Memcached', Array, false, false)
#3 /home/site/public_html/dev/library/XenForo/Application.php(763): Zend_Cache::factory('Core', 'Memcached', Array, Array)
#4 /home/site/public_html/dev/library/XenForo/Application.php(973): XenForo_Application->loadCache(Object(Zend_Config))
#5 /home/site/public_html/dev/library/XenForo/Application.php(1004): XenForo_Application->lazyLoad('cache', NULL)
#6 /home/site/public_html/dev/library/XenForo/Application.php(1672): XenForo_Application::get('cache')
#7 /home/site/public_html/dev/library/XenForo/Model.php(146): XenForo_Application::getCache()
#8 /home/site/public_html/dev/library/XenForo/Model/DataRegistry.php(81): XenForo_Model->_getCache(true)
#9 /home/site/public_html/dev/library/XenForo/Dependencies/Abstract.php(147): XenForo_Model_DataRegistry->getMulti(Array)
#10 /home/site/public_html/dev/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(127): XenForo_Dependencies_Abstract->preLoadData()
#11 /home/site/public_html/dev/admin.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#12 {main}

Memcached version is memcached-1.4.15-10.el7_3.1

Last edited:
Top Bottom