Are you still using PHP 5.x? Why?

This is unfortunate and something we attempted to avoid but it was the lesser of two evils. The feature is partly powered by a library which requires PHP 7.0 or above. They have an older version which is compatible with PHP 5.6 but the really frustrating thing is that it wasn't compatible with PHP 7.2 :rolleyes: I think it's the right thing to do to block PHP 5.6 in this instance rather than blocking PHP 7.2.
While I am not worried about older versions as I tend to isolate different services in separate Docker containers which makes it very easy for me to experiment and deploy applications with different versions of required dependencies. However, I understand that many people utilize a more traditional shared hosting with limited control on resources. Would it be possible to package both the old and new versions of the library in question and conditionally load one or the other based on the version of PHP? If their API is not compatible, a custom shim might be required to make necessary methods uniform.

Just a bit of warning; this feature may end up actually requiring PHP 7.1 afterall so please consider 7.1 or ideally 7.2 if you’re thinking of preparing for 2.1.
When I upgraded last month, my host told me that "7.1 and 7.2 are in beta form," so they brought me to 7.0

They were not correct.

7.0.0 was released in December 2015
7.1.0 was released in December 2016
7.2.0 was released in November 2017

All of these were fully tested, stable releases.

Interesting. Either way, it's no big deal. They moved us over during off-peak hours and the transition was quite painless. Looking forward to what XF 2.1 has to bring.

7.x has a lot of backwards compatibility issues that need to get addressed when moving a server with multiple sites over.

My main forum runs SMF. After I move that to Elkarte 1.1 I'll be able to upgrade the server. I have tons of custom scripts for it, however, and they all need to be upgraded or replaced accordingly. Elkarte 1.1 is still pretty buggy so that also factors.

That is awesome, over 50% on 7.x already. And that's without any built in nudging. Imagine what the rate would be with a well styled ACP notice and nudge from XF on how and why to upgrade.

Push the web forward guys!

I've actually been pleasantly surprised by the number of shared hosting customers who have access to a cPanel instance which lets them freely choose which PHP version they'd like to use.

But if you're unlucky enough to have a host who doesn't provide this as an option, then I'd highly recommend that you start looking elsewhere.

Anyone have a list of decent shared hosts who provide PHP 7.x support?

https://www.ovh.co.uk/web-hosting/web-hosting-personal.xml

I used this before and they are cheap and good! just support is slow, but most customers share experience with each other on the forums

Exactly yesterday I was messing around in cPanel and suddenly, by accident, noticed the MultiPHP switch. I was surprised that it was around 5.4 when I looked, this is a 10 yr old small forum and we converted from vBull to XenForo 2 earlier this year. Just always assumed all the hosts upgrade automatically.

Checked beforehand with our magnificent shared host, URLJet, just in case, and asap went to 7.2. PHP is delicate enough without running old versions.

No particular change, but XenForo was already exceptionally fast. And it made me happy.

I've actually been pleasantly surprised by the number of shared hosting customers who have access to a cPanel instance which lets them freely choose which PHP version they'd like to use.

But if you're unlucky enough to have a host who doesn't provide this as an option, then I'd highly recommend that you start looking elsewhere.

Anyone have a list of decent shared hosts who provide PHP 7.x support?
Sometimes you just have to ask. Several months ago I didn't have the option on my current host, but they enabled it for me when I expressed a wish to try 7.2 to see how it would affect performance. So people should at least ask their host first, it can't hurt. ;)

Indeed. Not sure what the relevance of that is. I mean, it'd be useful to support in the future but it's not the feature we're talking about here.

They were not correct.
In some way they might be correct, if they only consider what is being offered by their stable Linux distribution:
The latest stable version of Debian is 9 (Stretch) and this version does only offer PHP 7.0, if they want smth. newer they would have to use unstable/beta Debian 10 (Buster) which has PHP 7.2

Same goes for Ubuntu, in April (until the release of 18.04 LTS on 04/26/2018) the max. PHP version available with 16.04 LTS was PHP 7.0 as well.

?
We've been using HTTP/2 push for quite some time with PHP 5.4+
Indeed. It's web server based, just that PHP can now set the link headers itself too.
For XF, what have you been using http/2 push for? Could you share a template sample? Since http/2 push is really only much good for 1st time visitors, I'm not sure there's much benefit to it for a community site?

I'm still on php 5.6 as I'm also only still on XenForo 1.5

Is this chart including websites still on Xenforo 1.x?

As for not upgrading to 2.0, there just wasn't enough reasons/features to warrant an upgrade with all of my custom code.

Top Bottom