Alert Improvements by Xon

Alert Improvements by Xon 2.10.13

No permission to download
You've been busy @Xon!

When you get a chance, can you elaborate on this feature a little more?
XF2.2 allows per-alert feature flag to indicate if an alert should be marked as "read" when the alerts are viewed. What this means is thread starter alerts stay "unread" when you click the bell, but get marked as read when you view the alert.

The separation between read/viewed is honestly really clunky (how it interacts with expiry is particularly nasty). This add-on keeps both updated, but just updates them to the same values.

There's something definitely not right about this add-on. I disabled the add-on and reenabled it to check something. Now it's showing an alert, 3 rows down, as unread/new alert with the star beside it even though I have read it. It's also still showing with the star and highlight even though I've visited the post again.
The unread/new alert stays around for about 15 minutes, this hasn't changed from the XF2.1 version

Also not sure what the resummarize button is meant to do but it's doing nothing for me.
This kicks in when you've got the same post reacted to multiple times.

XF2.2 allows per-alert feature flag to indicate if an alert should be marked as "read" when the alerts are viewed. What this means is thread starter alerts stay "unread" when you click the bell, but get marked as read when you view the alert.

The separation between read/viewed is honestly really clunky (how it interacts with expiry is particularly nasty). This add-on keeps both updated, but just updates them to the same values.

The unread/new alert stays around for about 15 minutes, this hasn't changed from the XF2.1 version

This kicks in when you've got the same post reacted to multiple times.
Yeah, I just couldn't get my head around the ".is-recently-read" but I think I figured it out. I had to customise the css a little to make look better on my forums as it looked confusing with the highlighting etc. It's all sorted now I think. Just wondered if the "mark read/unread" feature per alert was taken out intentionally? Not sure if it's a bug.

What does this mean and why not? "Do not use MySQL statement-based replication with this add-on"
How do I find out what MySQL is?

Yeah, I just couldn't get my head around the ".is-recently-read" but I think I figured it out. I had to customise the css a little to make look better on my forums as it looked confusing with the highlighting etc. It's all sorted now I think. Just wondered if the "mark read/unread" feature per alert was taken out intentionally? Not sure if it's a bug.
I've fixed that for the next version, and the per-alert 'mark unread' will be back as well.

What does this mean and why not? "Do not use MySQL statement-based replication with this add-on"
How do I find out what MySQL is?
This only applies if you are using MySQL replication (ie multiple MySQL servers)

Also worth mentioning that on the alerts page when you click alert preferences, it doesn’t skip to the alerts section in preferences but I suspect it’s because of the overlay. I took that out.

Also worth mentioning that on the alerts page when you click alert preferences, it doesn’t skip to the alerts section in preferences but I suspect it’s because of the overlay. I took that out.
Yeah, I'll probably remove the overlay in the next version

If you use Thread Starter Alerts add-on, it might have triggered some alert mark-as-read behaviour changes. But users can opt back to the previous version

If you use Thread Starter Alerts add-on
I don't, but I received follow alerts (and the checkbox in alert preferences was checked again) where I didn't receive those before either upgrading Alert Improvements or installing Warning Improvements. Strange. 🤔

You should add back the default circle that marks it read and unread. I can see it being super annoying to get rid of them individually by having to visit each thread/post or marking them all read (when you don't want to). Or you could add "Mark read" when you click "Mark Unread" so you can revert back without having to visit the thread/post.

Also as for the resummarise alerts, you should also have "Unsummarize alerts" after you click it as atm you'll have to go through alerts individually to unsummarize them.

Another thing, to keep better flow and consistency of the alerts, is you could change the phrase:
"On X of your posts, (Username) reacted with" to "(Username) reacted to X of your posts with".

That's one example, not sure how many other summarised alerts there are that start off with "On..."

See comparison here how much better it looks:
reacted.webp

Last edited:
Top Bottom