[8WR] XenPorta (Portal) PRO

[8WR] XenPorta (Portal) PRO [Paid] 1.2.2b

No permission to buy ($40.00)
That's exactly what I proposed and want. I have 3 very active portals and i'm afraid to spam the main page's slider. While a news can be important for a category, it's not vital to have it on the main page ^^'
Switches for the feature slider will take care of some of that...

As for the rest, can't you already do this? Can't you make a specific category page your portal? Or make your custom page node your portal?

@Jaxel I'm having trouble with the related articles widget for the article page. I dont want to have a sidebar on my articles so I tried to place the widget below the article on the layout. There are two issues with this.

Firstly it doesn't look good and secondly the widget appears at the bottom of the page (under the comments/replies) even tho I placed it directly under the article block on the layout.

Personally I dont see the point of having More articles from this author being below the comments, it would be more useful for that block (or any block) to be under the Author Byline and before the comments/replies.

I understand this occurs because the layout treats the article block as a combined 'article then byline then comments' block but I think under the comments at the bottom of the page is the wrong place for such a block. I cant think of any block I would want under the comments section except maybe an ad.

The formatting of the block is very plain both in the sideblock or under the article. Here is how mine looks...

AuthorRelated.webp

Switches for the feature slider will take care of some of that...
Can't you make a specific category page your portal? Or make your custom page node your portal?

If it's possible to exclude some feature articles from the feature widget on the /articles page, it's all I need ^^. You know, something like that

a19f816543.png

Attachments

• new option.webp
    new option.webp
    20.2 KB · Views: 26
It would stay a catch-all page but with the possibitily to hide some of them. My community is based on BF4 but some of them (a few) are there for Fifa. I set up a fifa portal but I don't want to bother the major part of my users with fifa when then came for battlefield (and news about fifa are sooo boring that listing the team of the week isn't something to show on the main page ^^').

It would stay a catch-all page but with the possibitily to hide some of them. My community is based on BF4 but some of them (a few) are there for Fifa. I set up a fifa portal but I don't want to bother the major part of my users with fifa when then came for battlefield (and news about fifa are sooo boring that listing the team of the week isn't something to show on the main page ^^').
Then why dont you make the BF4 category your portal page?

Because I also have a League Of Legends category ^^
Then why not use the filter system? If someone doesn't want to see FIFA, they can remove it.

I think this could be fixed easily by adding category/author switches/tick boxes to the ACP controls on all the article and feature widgets. This would allow portals to be far more customisable and flexible. Eg something like the usergroup switches but instead you have category/author...

ACPslider.webp

Then why not use the filter system? If someone doesn't want to see FIFA, they can remove it.

Because I want fifa news to appear on the ArticlesList Widget ^^ The idea would be to have a rotation between global features and category feature. If people want to filter, it's up to them but some featured articles are less important to everyone than others. The debut of the new season in league of legends is an important news (esport etc...) however new skins are not important to everyone :p

Because I want fifa news to appear on the ArticlesList Widget ^^ The idea would be to have a rotation between global features and category feature. If people want to filter, it's up to them but some featured articles are less important to everyone than others. The debut of the new season in league of legends is an important news (esport etc...) however new skins are not important to everyone :p
Then why dont you make a category for "news", and then make that your portal? Then if you want an item to show up on your portal, add it to the news category.

Then why dont you make a category for "news", and then make that your portal? Then if you want an item to show up on your portal, add it to the news category.

I have the same issue as @HitArrowLegend in that I want secondary and primary portals which are fed from more than one category. The drop down single category/author selection of the widgets is very limiting. I dont want to make extra categories as catch alls because then I have category pages that I dont want.

Also if I dont want X category to appear on the homepage then I cant stop that. You suggest making a portal other than Article List as the homepage to control what categories appear on the homepage...

The problem with that is you can only select one category from the dropdown when typically the homepage will need to feature 80-90% of available categories.

It means we only have a choice between a homepage that shows ALL categories or a homepage which only shows ONE category. The alternative you're suggesting of creating one category to cover a set of categories would just result in too many categories and extra category pages we dont want to create.

Switches vs DropDown in the widget options is the difference between a good portal and an awesome portal. Is there any reason you dont want to turn the dropdown options into switches instead?

It could be possible but in order to have my articles in the article list widget (which I want), I would need to put the news category to each articles and I would be stuck at the same place ^^

A little token on featured articles would do the job ^^ if the token is there, the featured article doesn't appear on the /articles page and this page only.

Can't this be solved by bringing back the blank portal page that we used to have in XP1... That way we can set up through widgets only... If someone wants Articles from BF4, they can put those in Articles widget and place it on the portal page... They can set their own options like how many to show... like wise if i want another FIFA articles.. let me put another widgets..

This is the same issue i am facing right now... The catch all /articles page is not suitable in many cases... i actually don't need the article lists on my homepage and if i do i want to separate each Articles list from different nodes by widgets.. The previous portal/ page in XP1 is more flexible.

Of course, we can create a new page and make it the portal page but it involves rerouting URLs and navigation stuffs which is not very user friendly. This addon would be very much flexible if the blank portal layout from XP1 is brought back.

This addon would be very much flexible if the blank portal layout from XP1 is brought back.

The blank portal layout would be a great addition but if the article/feature widgets continue to be limited to one category or one author then the blank layout is no good to anyone who wants to make more than one portal with each portal fed by more than one category.

Can't this be solved by bringing back the blank portal page that we used to have in XP1...
The blank portal layout would be a great addition but if the article/feature widgets continue to be limited to one category or one author then the blank layout is no good to anyone who wants to make more than one portal with each portal fed by more than one category.

I don't think the blank portal from XP1 need to be recoded. I like this one more because it allows us more things. I'm finishing my board tonight and I'll make a thread to show it, but what XP2.0 propose is awesome. It just needs some little options heare and there so as what @Lone Wolf and I proposed ^^''

That way we can set up through widgets only... If someone wants Articles from BF4, they can put those in Articles widget and place it on the portal page... They can set their own options like how many to show... like wise if i want another FIFA articles.. let me put another widgets..

It's already possible with widget options.

This is the same issue i am facing right now... The catch all /articles page is not suitable in many cases... i actually don't need the article lists on my homepage and if i do i want to separate each Articles list from different nodes by widgets.. The previous portal/ page in XP1 is more flexible.

You could put ' 0 ' articles in the recent news widget (XP2.0 options) and put widgets under it with custom options, that would solve your issue on the main page I guess.

I have the same issue as @HitArrowLegend in that I want secondary and primary portals which are fed from more than one category.

It is not really my problem. I'm fine with the main portal but I don't want the built-in feature widget to show all my featured articles. I want to be able to either have an option to show some articles in the built-in feature widget OR hide articles in this widget.

For example, article 1 from category 1 is shown on the feature widget and article 2 from categeroy 1 is hidden (but shown on the category 1 page).

The drop down single category/author selection of the widgets is very limiting.

I can't aggree more with the fact that we need to be able to choose from more than 1 category or author.

You could put ' 0 ' articles in the recent news widget (XP2.0 options) and put widgets under it with custom options, that would solve your issue on the main page I guess.
0 is not allowed.. i tried it already.. the minimum value is 1. Yeah.. if i could set the default articles list to 0 and set up articles widgets around it.. it would work the way i want.

Top Bottom