[8WR] XenPorta (Portal) PRO

[8WR] XenPorta (Portal) PRO [Paid] 1.2.2b

No permission to buy ($40.00)
I did. He didn't say never... but I will challenge anyone to do it. I can see many guild leaders making the jump if a forum of this quality had a guild calendar with event signups feature.

I run a multi game guild. Im looking for a great portal for a front page that can lead into the forums with the click of a button.

Does anybody use this add on or recommend this for my use as a guild leader/website admin?

What are the best themes that would work with this add on?
pixelexit.com perfect for gamer website !

I run a multi game guild. Im looking for a great portal for a front page that can lead into the forums with the click of a button.

Does anybody use this add on or recommend this for my use as a guild leader/website admin?

What are the best themes that would work with this add on?
The main idea behind this, from my understanding is an article system.
after using this for a streaming group, i'm sort of wishing i would have went with AMS
as the landing page. Xenporta article layout needs customized to keep things looking identical or you have to format your posts identically.
they also aren't real article management. It's more of you make a forum post, then promote it sort of like 1/2 of VB5 only without the parameters to keep each of the articles previews looking the same. if one has an image and one doesnt, the one with the image has a longer preview for the article, making it look bad (imo).

Think also that xenporta causes issues with [bd] widget framework. tried to use that for an easier way to load up widgets vs having to do a bunch of other stuff to get items onto the side bar. Uninstalled widget framework thinking it didn't install correctly, now cant reinstall it.. I was able to get 1 thing to work 1 time using xenporta/widgets but trying to replicate it just to make sure i've got it down ended up in widget that wouldnt display or doesn't display correctly.

If you don't mind doing a LOT of custom work on your own, then cool, but if you want to simply install and get on with your community content, with everything looking right, i'd go with AMS https://xenaddons.com/store-products/article-management-system/ (that being said i currently do not own it)
I have bobs Showcase, and the options he has built in, are mind blowing. I figure since he has so many options within it that he likely has the same for his AMS. Leaving you to spend zero time coding and way more time being productive adding content.

I do like xenporta, it's just too rough around the edges for me. when i can afford to switch over to ams that's what i'll be using. Maybe when xenporta 3 is out, it will be in a state good for my needs.
The entire reason to use scripts/plugins is so you personally do no need to do a bunch of extra work/dedicated coder, and that's where this fails in my eyes.

This is just my experience and while I dislike it, you could feel completely different about how it works than i do.
the main thing is that you, yourself, do the research, check the features, and make the choice that's best for you.

after using this for a streaming group, i'm sort of wishing i would have went with AMS...

Thank you very much for your review. Different strokes for different folks. I wish I could give them both a test drive first... AMS = $60 thats a lot of money though :(

Very helpful review. Perhaps the author will comment as well.

I want to use my guild front page/landing page as a GUILD NEWS section. We always had separate news sections for each game we are in.

Trying to envision the pros/cons for having all 6 games news sections on our front page... Can XenPorta handle more that one landing page, one for each game we reside on?

I want to use my guild front page/landing page as a GUILD NEWS section. We always had separate news sections for each game we are in.

Trying to envision the pros/cons for having all 6 games news sections on our front page... Can XenPorta handle more that one landing page, one for each game we reside on?
Did you mean this ? Example my news on my gaming website https:\\www.elnino-onlinegaming.de

With XenPorta 2.0, you can basically create as many portal as you want by creating categories. If I take Jaxel's website as an example, https://8wayrun.com/ is the main portal while https://8wayrun.com/articles/soulcalibur-v.5/category and https://8wayrun.com/articles/tournaments.4/category are both "secondary" portals made for the categories 'Soulcalibur V' and 'Tournaments'
Of course, you can rewrite the url to get something fancier.

@Jaxel Anything to share about the next version?

Well, If I create multiple portals, can I then create unique rosters and event calenders for each chapter of our guild? (each chapter plays a different game)

Great news front. Are those forum threads that get boosted to the news section or posts with comments separate from the form threads?
I Post it from forum threads with promote to article . It's better as separate . I think (for me) the best way for a news portal .

is there any easier way to make a simple widget?
this video is like watching static on a tv for me.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
want to simply say this is the addon i'd like a widget for, click, done.
Unless you're making a simple html widget, then it can't be simpler.
after using this for a streaming group, i'm sort of wishing i would have went with AMS
as the landing page. Xenporta article layout needs customized to keep things looking identical or you have to format your posts identically.
they also aren't real article management. It's more of you make a forum post, then promote it sort of like 1/2 of VB5 only without the parameters to keep each of the articles previews looking the same. if one has an image and one doesnt, the one with the image has a longer preview for the article, making it look bad (imo).
It sounds like all the things you are requesting are basic CSS fixes you can do yourself...

Great news front. Are those forum threads that get boosted to the news section or posts with comments separate from the form threads?
Articles ARE forum threads... comments are replies.

Well, If I create multiple portals, can I then create unique rosters and event calenders for each chapter of our guild? (each chapter plays a different game)

I believe you can even tho I don't know anything about XenAtendo, if this is what you use for your calendar addon.

From the FAQ :

How can I add more RawHTML widgets?

Every widget has their own set of global options. These options are used wherever you place that widget (if it doesn't have a custom option set defined). However, with custom option sets, you can create a different set of options for a widget. Then when you create a widget link on a layout, you can choose to have the widget load up the global options, or one of your defined option sets.

Just create new options sets for each games you are playing with your team and assign them to the newly created categories/portal and you should be good to go

@Jaxel Would it be possible that you include a way to add a custom class to categories that we could use on those recent articles widget to add some color depending on those categories?

@Jaxel Would it be possible that you include a way to add a custom class to categories that we could use on those recent articles widget to add some color depending on those categories?
Thats already included... category ID classes are given to the category buttons. You can use css psuedo selectors to give colors to the parents.

Yes but they are not given to articles. For instance, it's not currently possible to make articles from category 1 have a special border color.

I was thinking about something added automatically, the same way you add the id of the article, but as a class. I'll try to look around and will get back to you if I cannot do it any other way.

Top Bottom