XenZine Articles [Deleted]

If you want to add an existing thread, you'll need to do a thread merge .... But make sure you select the article thread as the destination

Here is my current situation. I have about 150 threads with lots of replies that I do not want to lose. I would like to have the first post be the article and all the replies be comments. Can these threads be transferred to this addons?

This looks really very well done... Congratulations.

I really like the way how the articles are displayed but still I would suggest to add an optional list view.

There is a very good example on mclaren.com. Just scroll down a bit and click through the different buttons.
http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/

something like that would be awesome. :)

I would stress on what the poster above me said, for people who do not quite want the pinterest look, a simple list view as an option would help increase sales.

I've had a quick test, and it seems to work well with 1.2

Submission form:
A small point but helpful - on the form for submission I recommend placing the Summary field BELOW the body field.
Hmm... okay.

Can we have the Body form open in a new tab please.
That's more of a user preference... right click and open the body, they you'll not be using edit body inline editor

Today I've been fixing a bug with the initial image rendering (a quick flicker from FOUC), I believe I've fixed this and while I was at it, I've made the images when first rendered explode from the centre:

http://www.surreyforum.co.uk/xz-articles/

Can you let me know if you see any issues in your broswer

I might add a loading overlay (similar to the overlay that occurs from the lazzyload/auto-scrolling on that page), for when it takes a while to grab the images

No problem for me in FF. Looks spiffy!

Could you please do an extra page very like the Category page.
Same three displays there already Top Rated, Categories text links, Recent.

Add another display box at the top.

home pics.webp

This one has a set of Articles the admin selects manually from different places, not governed by Article categories.
Each item here links to 2 things: the Article as info ABOUT, and a URL - the Category or Forum, or the Articles section, a Gallery whatever. So it's a springboard to the site and admin can create it to fit.

All 4 boxes are - on this page - options selected by the admin to display or hide on this page.
Need the page URL to put it on navbar.
This would make an excellent homepage.

Is there any way that proper text flow around images can be done inside the articles? Something like what WP does where the left, right, center and size of the thumb can be set? This has been one main feature holding me back from any article system in XF.

Also, has anyone asked about multiple pages in an article?

Is there a choice as to whether an article displays with or without sidebar (each article)?

Last, but not least for me, is the implementation of some sort of "smartycode" which allows either ads, text boxes or even pagnation to be done by the insertion of codes in the body text.

Please throw some of these in your "suggested features" notes if they are not already there!

How do people think an article should look with multiple pages?

Should there be multiple tabs on the article, or should it be paginated (like the numbers above a thread search)

Multiple pages should be paginated, IMHO. Tabs are confusing and not part of the normal human interface guidelines for that use (in practice). People are used to seeing tabs for complete sections of amazon or something like that, but not for pages.

Also, it seems that a parsed code would be the best way to mark the pages (i.e. [xf_page_code] ) for a couple reasons. First, it is unlikely that most users need vast number of pages and secondly it allows a custom length for each and every article page. In combo with the ad or text box code I suggested, an article could have a long first page, a 2nd with only an ad or short text and ad - or pic, etc., and a 3rd of decent length.

This would be more flexible, IMHO.

Also, has anyone asked about multiple pages in an article?
Yes, I did ma'am sir.
How do people think an article should look with multiple pages?
Should there be multiple tabs on the article, or should it be paginated (like the numbers above a thread search)
Paginated please. Top and bottom.

Text flow will be cool in due course but it's not first priority. First priority for me is the thread in existing forum; multiple pages; then the Editor Picks.

I have experience of multiple pages with a previous addon.
It needs Edit This Page/ Delete This Page/ Add Page/ Insert Page.
Also some kind of text menu is good to show what is on the other pages. Pagination alone is too opaque.
See here what I did where I could subtitle the pages and it appeared on a text menu top and botttom of content.
http://www.housemorgain.co.uk/oval/resources/multiple-page-article.5/

If it helps as a fairly heavyweight writer I don't usually go above 15 pages.
@craigiri I agree about custom length pages. Would be very yuk to not be ab;e to decide the cutoff point per page.

Also I HATE tabs. Gimme buttons (buttons are sexy), text links, icon links ... anything but tabs.

@tenants : Is the following possible?

Here is my current situation. I have about 150 threads with lots of replies that I do not want to lose. I would like to have the first post be the article and all the replies be comments. Can these threads be transferred to this addons?

@tenants : Is the following possible?

Yes and no... more no than yes

You can do it, but not with the plugin alone
1) You can manually submit the 1st posts as an article, then thread merge the resulting thread created from the published article

or

2) SQL query to insert the 1st post of those threads (you'll still probably need to go in and add categories, keywords, etc)

But... it's not set up to do this, it's set up as an article management work flow for new articles. If you don't want to manually submit the 150 threads, or aren't confident to with SQL, then no

I didnt understand all that but enough to raise concerns about existing material to import.
I don't mind using Login As User, to create them all manually, and linking to the same thread as before.
I'll need to change the date of the article though back to its original.
Is this going to be OK?

Top Bottom