Add-on XenReviews [CrowdFund]

Would you buy this add on?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Beta 3 has been released!

Jeff Berry said:
Hey guys,

This will be our last beta series before we go into our first release :) This release attempts to bring all of our features together. Some of the major improvements/features include:
  • functional filters that will include city/states when items in the category have address fields
  • all new navigation "tree style" menu (will make collapsible later)
  • metadata/tags are now stored to relate items (goes along with filters)
  • all new comments system that will allow an endless tree of comments and "owner" comments (though right now only the first level is enabled)
  • new layout for reviews index as well as category view
  • featured items widget now selects items that are actually selected as "featured", it no longer just grabs 5 popular ones
  • "members viewing" widget now works on any page
  • item list now works on mobile devices
  • many more bug fixes and suggestion implementations.
My plan is to now freeze feature development and use this Beta 3 series to mash out all remaining bugs. Once we're confident there are no more bugs or unfinished features, we will roll into the Release Candidate stage which will be the first officially supported version of XR. We'll let the RC releases run for a week or so to make sure there are no lingering bugs and then we will announce our first 1.0 release :D

Let me know what you guys think of this one.

Don't you love it when people tell you your site is down, when you know about it already? Haha. Site's down:

Code:
An exception occurred: Connection refused in /var/www/xenreviews.com/public_html/library/Zend/Db/Adapter/Mysqli.php on line 333

[LIST=1]
[*]Zend_Db_Adapter_Mysqli->_connect() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php at line 315
[*]Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->getConnection() in XenForo/Application.php at line 719
[*]XenForo_Application->loadDb()
[*]call_user_func_array() in XenForo/Application.php at line 960
[*]XenForo_Application->lazyLoad() in XenForo/Application.php at line 991
[*]XenForo_Application::get() in XenForo/Application.php at line 1561
[*]XenForo_Application::getDb() in XenForo/Model.php at line 161
[*]XenForo_Model->_getDb() in XenForo/Model/DataRegistry.php at line 138
[*]XenForo_Model_DataRegistry->_getMultiFromDb() in XenForo/Model/DataRegistry.php at line 97
[*]XenForo_Model_DataRegistry->getMulti() in XenForo/Dependencies/Abstract.php at line 147
[*]XenForo_Dependencies_Abstract->preLoadData() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 127
[*]XenForo_FrontController->run() in /var/www/xenreviews.com/public_html/index.php at line 13
[/LIST]

Don't you love it when people tell you your site is down, when you know about it already? Haha. Site's down:

Code:
An exception occurred: Connection refused in /var/www/xenreviews.com/public_html/library/Zend/Db/Adapter/Mysqli.php on line 333

[LIST=1]
[*]Zend_Db_Adapter_Mysqli->_connect() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php at line 315
[*]Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->getConnection() in XenForo/Application.php at line 719
[*]XenForo_Application->loadDb()
[*]call_user_func_array() in XenForo/Application.php at line 960
[*]XenForo_Application->lazyLoad() in XenForo/Application.php at line 991
[*]XenForo_Application::get() in XenForo/Application.php at line 1561
[*]XenForo_Application::getDb() in XenForo/Model.php at line 161
[*]XenForo_Model->_getDb() in XenForo/Model/DataRegistry.php at line 138
[*]XenForo_Model_DataRegistry->_getMultiFromDb() in XenForo/Model/DataRegistry.php at line 97
[*]XenForo_Model_DataRegistry->getMulti() in XenForo/Dependencies/Abstract.php at line 147
[*]XenForo_Dependencies_Abstract->preLoadData() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 127
[*]XenForo_FrontController->run() in /var/www/xenreviews.com/public_html/index.php at line 13
[/LIST]
Thanks! DigitalOcean (where I get my VPS from) has been having a lot of problems the last few days :( Been dealing with them on both my personal box as well as the boxes I maintain for my business. For some reason they keep restarting their nodes.

All should be resolved now (or so they tell me).

So that wasn't the "surprise" then Jeff? ...Only kidding :D

Congrats on XR's development over the past 6 months you've done a great job and I'm personally very excited about it's pending release!

I've been thinking of moving all my sites for myself and my clients off of shared reseller hosting and over to Digital Ocean VPS, the only problem is that I don't have that much experience regarding administering servers. Did you encounter many problems setting up your VPS @Jeff Berry? Or any services you are going without on your VPS that are common with shared hosting, like for example email hosting or setting up multiple accounts?

I've been thinking of moving all my sites for myself and my clients off of shared reseller hosting and over to Digital Ocean VPS, the only problem is that I don't have that much experience regarding administering servers. Did you encounter many problems setting up your VPS @Jeff Berry? Or any services you are going without on your VPS that are common with shared hosting, like for example email hosting or setting up multiple accounts?
Absolutely not. Digital Ocean has been terrific aside from the recent downtime. Their interface makes it incredibly easy to spin up a new VPS, back them up, restore them, clone them, etc. They even provide some pre-built images you can choose when setting up the Droplet (that's what they call a VPS) that make it easy to quickly spin up a box with Apache/MySQL/PHP all ready to go. You will need to know some basic server administration and how to work your way through Linux, but they also provide a huge database of tutorials that you can reference to figure things out.

I don't think there's anything you'll find on shared hosting that you can't get on a VPS. One thing you will have to sacrifice (unless you're willing to pay for it) is cPanel. cPanel charges a monthly fee that is usually included in your shared hosting plan. There are free alternatives to cpanel like Webmin, Plesk, etc. that you can install though. You will also need to set up your own email server, but there are many tutorials that explain how to do this. Creating multiple accounts is pretty easy as well.

Cool thanks, basically I am trying to decide whether I should go with a control panel or without. Also, are you using anything for backups other than the built in snapshot manager?

I have a second VPS that I use mostly as just a playground; I back up all my database(s) to that server nightly using a cron job. Other than that, for files I rely on Digital Ocean's backups. They backup the server every 48 hours and for the little that I host that is more than enough. The servers I run for my business also back up their databases nightly to an external server, and we rely on DO's backups for their files too -- but we keep all of the code for the sites on that server in version control, so that basically serves as our backups.

Well, I am not sure if you can beta test it, but you can see how it looks from XenReviews. Also, XenReviews is at Beta 3.9. So, I think it is safe to say that it's pretty ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom